GTX 1080s no stock? BS

Okjoek

In stock at the Destiny mall in Syracuse NY. This was end of the day too and the store was nearly empty so it'll probably be there tomorrow.

Spoiler

IMG_0321.JPG

700 dollars? No Nvidia, try again. 

No way I'm paying more than half that price just for a GPU. I'll wait for RX 480/90. For those getting gouged, I hope those extra frames were blessed by the Pope himself.

it's not a scam, it's what you pay for the high end of gaming components...

My PC: I7 4770 (3.4Ghz)

32Gb Corsair Xms3 DDR3

Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980ti

Asus Z87-A Motherboard

Samsung 120gb SSD

Seagate 2TB HDD

Aerocool Xpredator Evil Black

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/8502026

2 minutes ago, Jack Longman said:

it's not a scam, it's what you pay for the high end of gaming components...

Meh. Forgive my saltiness. I'm just more mainstream a user. I guess enthusiasts like Linus will always buy this stuff up, but ouch man.

9 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Meh. Forgive my saltiness. I'm just more mainstream a user. I guess enthusiasts like Linus will always buy this stuff up, but ouch man.

Dont worry. Once the 1080ti comes out the 1080 will be $499 :D

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Dont worry. Once the 1080ti comes out the 1080 will be $499 :D

I have to wonder, what are enthusiasts using these 700 dollar cards for that the one I'm currently using won't do? I'm using an R9 390 that was intended for my Brother, but he concluded even he didn't need a computer that powerful since the most demanding game I play (Planetside 2) was more demanding than anything he plays.

Does it really make the difference in video editing or some other application I don't frequently use?

4 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

I have to wonder, what are enthusiasts using these 700 dollar cards for that the one I'm currently using won't do? I'm using an R9 390 that was intended for my Brother, but he concluded even he didn't need a computer that powerful since the most demanding game I play (Planetside 2) was more demanding than anything he plays.

Does it really make the difference in video editing or some other application I don't frequently use?

High resolution surround gaming / high res + refresh rate monitors are two applications. 

Having peace of mind knowing the framerate will never be below the refresh rate of the monitor is another.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

17 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Vr, 4k surround gaming, high refresh rates. Theres some games even my 980ti is starting to struggle with these days and i'm only on 1080p

32Gb Corsair Xms3 DDR3

Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980ti

Asus Z87-A Motherboard

Samsung 120gb SSD

Seagate 2TB HDD

1 hour ago, Okjoek said:

Some people just want to play on high resolution with all settings as high as possible even though there is hardly any difference in the image quality compared to a bit lower but a lot less demanding settings.

Why complain about the price if you were never interested in it anyway? Thats a very reasonable price for the performance.

LOL!!!!  Wait for 380/390?  They are already out and the 1080 will crush them into paste.

If you meant 480/490, then the 480 still gets crushed into paste although for 200$ its a good buy.  The founders card is a bit over priced and the custom cards are indeed being priced gouged currently.  But it sounds like you are not a high-end buyer, so there is zero reason for you to complain unless you are just salty and jelly.

9 hours ago, MegaDave91 said:

High resolution surround gaming / high res + refresh rate monitors are two applications. 

Having peace of mind knowing the framerate will never be below the refresh rate of the monitor is another.

9 hours ago, Jack Longman said:

Vr, 4k surround gaming, high refresh rates. Theres some games even my 980ti is starting to struggle with these days and i'm only on 1080p

8 hours ago, WereCat said:

Some people just want to play on high resolution with all settings as high as possible even though there is hardly any difference in the image quality compared to a bit lower but a lot less demanding settings.

Well there's why my R9 390 is doing a great job. 

1. I only use 1920x1080p.

2. I only use one monitor. I wouldn't mind having a second for having browser tabs open during a game session, but even then my desk is too small for more than one monitor.

3. The games I play are not demanding. I go for gameplay value over graphics. What games are you playing Mr. Longman? I know there's games out there that my card won't handle very well, but thankfully none of them really interest me. My library consists of much simpler games such as:

Planetside 2 (my current "most demanding" title and my go-to online game)

Minecraft

Rocket League

League of Legends (my brother's game, not mine)

Runescape (I mostly keep it out of memory, but I still play from time to time)

Shovel Knight

Stardew Valley

Roller Coaster Tycoon Deluxe (I think my oldest game from 1999)

CSGO

TF2

Gmod

World of Tanks

Tetris/Pokemon Emerald Emulator

7 hours ago, Camisto said:

LOL!!!!  Wait for 380/390?  They are already out and the 1080 will crush them into paste.

If you meant 480/490, then the 480 still gets crushed into paste although for 200$ its a good buy.  The founders card is a bit over priced and the custom cards are indeed being priced gouged currently.  But it sounds like you are not a high-end buyer, so there is zero reason for you to complain unless you are just salty and jelly.

Yes I did mean 480/90. That's my bad, I'll correct that right away as well as remove my scam accusation. From what I'm told the graphics side of the computer hardware market isn't all that big and most I imagine are like me and unwilling to buy a GPU (a single PC component)  for more than the price of a games console which still actually makes a surprising majority of the gaming market. Yes I'm Salty/Jelly. Just had to get it out of my system.

Point is I just can't imagine how Nvidia are going to make a lot of money out of this by catering to the enthusiast level. Is Nvidia using a more trickle down sort of model and expecting the mainstream to use older cheaper cards as opposed to AMD who seems to be directly targeting the newer hardware/manufacturing process at the mainstream? I did actually look up the launch price of the previous best cards 980ti and Titan X. The 980ti is pretty expensive too, but that Titan just blew my mind at near 1000 dollars. The Titan however I don't think was geared towards gamers and desktop use anyway was it? Just asked my brother who said the thinks it was designed more for the super computers and the such.

I guess it's just so hard to be at mainstream budgets and still try to be a computer enthusiast in title. I guess I need to remember that it's not the price of your hardware, it's how you make the most efficient use of it that defines you as an enthusiast. Do you think it's a good rule to live by?

10 hours ago, Okjoek said:

In stock at the Destiny mall in Syracuse NY. This was end of the day too and the store was nearly empty so it'll probably be there tomorrow.

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_0321.JPG

700 dollars? No Nvidia, try again. 

No way I'm paying more than half that price just for a GPU. I'll wait for RX 380/90 if this is the best prices these scammers can offer. For those getting gouged, I hope those extra frames were blessed by the Pope himself.

RX 490* - Coming in October (ish)

RX 480 - Coming in 4 days

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

3 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

RX 490* - Coming in October (ish)

RX 480 - Coming in 4 days

Yeah I know. I usually wait towards the end of the year for PC hardware shopping anyway. I do like to follow the hardware technology/economics to keep on top of what's going on as I've still got a lot to learn about computer technology. I feel I was really late to get on board into this field of interest so it's a huge catch-up learning rush. I did get straights A's in Economics and Technology classes so finding this community months ago to sweep me up and guide me was a miracle.

Be glad that you can buy it for that money.

in EU, we have to pay 500€ for GTX 1070.

So I would gladly buy that one for 450$ ... much cheaper :)

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

10 hours ago, Okjoek said:

This is what I used my 980ti Hybrid for yesterday. 

image.jpeg

If anyone asks you never saw me.

FE edition for $700... ROTFL. I hope they sit there a long time for that price.

The 1070 for me would be the only one I would even consider buying but not until it's below $400 - I'm not paying OVER MSRP, nope...

2 hours ago, Okjoek said:

Well there's why my R9 390 is doing a great job. 

1. I only use 1920x1080p.

2. I only use one monitor. I wouldn't mind having a second for having browser tabs open during a game session, but even then my desk is too small for more than one monitor.

3. The games I play are not demanding. I go for gameplay value over graphics. What games are you playing Mr. Longman? I know there's games out there that my

I'm playing things like rise of the tomb raider on all maxed out settings, fallout 4 too. I had to lower a setting or two in fallout as i was getting dips down to 30fps in large battles, basically any open world kinda game is incredibly hard to run, gta runs fine on it as it's optimised really well but other open world kinda games struggle a little

32Gb Corsair Xms3 DDR3

Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980ti

Asus Z87-A Motherboard

Samsung 120gb SSD

Seagate 2TB HDD

I'm planning on the 1080, I have the predator x34 and my 970 doesn't keep up