Define R4 From Down Under [Custom Loop, 290x Crossfire]

HoZy

Hey all, Been watching the LinusTechTips YT channel for longer than I can remember, So thought I'd finally sign up since I had to upgrade my PC due to my old motherboard kicking the bucket. So, HoZ_PC01.jpg3770k_HoZy_Delid01.jpg i7 3770k @ 4.4ghz 1.192v 16gb Gskill TridentX @ 2400mhz Asrock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional HD6970 Crossfire (From Old Rig) Samsung Pro 128gb Windows 8/Apps OCZ Vertex 4 256gb Games Drive WD Caviar Black 1tb Temp Drive WD 200gb Work Drive CoolerMaster 850w Silent Pro Power Supply Some bitfenix Extensions Now... I've decided to water cool her, Parts as followed: XSPC Raystorm Copper Waterblock EK DCP 4.0 Pump & Res Combo Hardware Labs SR1 280 XSPC EX280 Koolance Dual 140mm Shroud Cougar 140mm Fans Bitspower Compression Fittings Primochill Primoflex advance LRT bloodshed red tubing Planned Loop design: HoZ_PC02-Route.jpg Will update as I go, Thanks :) Cheers Mat EDIT: What is holding me up is my pump is on back order until March 13th, So not long now. But I will start the case mod's before then like fitting the radiators etc.

is it me, or did you pry out the ihs on the i7? and why?

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

Checking for spiders, probably.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

intel didn't put a very high end TIM in, and doing this on some of the chips actually allows for much better temperatures and therefore a higher overclock. It is a slightly risky mod, however if done properly it can be quite rewarding.

The TIM is adequate for the jobs its actually badly applied, it was applied to thick in the early production runs but it seems to have improved with time as my new 3570k did not have as much TIM as other peoples

The reasoning behind the delidding project, Replacing the TIM & not using an adhesive to hold the heat spreader down is because from factory there is to large a gap between the CPU DYE about .6 of a MM and yes as you can see in the images the thermal paste, Now. I purchased this CPU about 3weeks ago now, So it's not only early batches that suffered from this. Doing this, with a 4.4ghz O/C & H100. Using Noctua NT-H1 Compound I was able to drop the temperatures a whole 19celcius at full load. To me, That is a giant success but it is not for the faint of heart.

I will hopefully have a delivery of a bunch of my water cooling gear today, So I will update my 2nd post on this thread with more images. Currently 9:41am In Melbourne, Australia :)

Cheers

Mat

EDIT:

Two links to refer to when regarding delidding of the 3770k

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2261855

and

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=33789592#post33789592

Bunch of gear arrived from PCCG, So this is my current tally of gear.

Waiting on my pump from GAMMODS which is on back order until 13th march, And I need 2 more fans + 1 or 2 fittings.

Going to build/dummy up my rig then get the remaining fittings once I know if I want straight or angle etc.

Hozy_R4_Gear01.jpg

Just dummied this together, Pretty sure how I'll be running top exhaust, Cougar 140mm in Pull with the XSPC EX280 inside the case.

Hozy_R4_TopExhaust01.jpg

Cheers

Mat

• 2 weeks later...

Update Update Update!!!

Front Radiator: Hardware labs Sr1-280

Top Radiator: XSPC EX280

Waterblock: XSPC Raystorm Copper

Reservoir/Pump: EK DCP 4.0 Pump & Reservoir combo

Fans: Cougar 140mm

Fittings: Bitspower 1/2" g1/4"

Hose: Primoflex LRT 1/2" ID 3/4" OD

Koolance Clear Coolant01.jpg

02.jpg03.jpg

04.jpg05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Thank you for following my build thread of my watercooled Fractal Designs Define R4 with 2x 280mm radiators :)

After bleeding & a 2hour leak test.

She has now been successfully been run for 12hours and so far so good :)

I'm pretty happy with this being my first loop :D

Cheers

Mat

Now, I just wait to upgrade my 6970's <3

fin02.jpg

Cheers

Mat

fin02.jpg

That looks absolutely incredible. Nice work!

Zephyr:

3770k (Stock clock) w/ Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R | 16GB DDR3 @ 2133Mhz | 2x Radeon HD 6950 (Reference, stock clock) | Asrock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional | Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200w | 60GB SSD Boot, 750GB HDD Media, 1TB HDD Programs

Does look really nice, but I think I prefer the black tubing, there is alot of red now. But still looks damn sexy none the less

CPU- I7 7700K @ 4.4Ghz, RAM- 32 Gig Hyper X @ 2800 mhz , GPU - GTX 1080ti Strix 11gb , MOBO- Asrock Fatality Z270 , SSD :Kingston Hyper X SSD Fury and Samsung 500gig

Amazing job mate! Well done! Seeing rigs like this makes me want to go that little bit extra with mine, the attention to detail really shows :)

This looks absolutely incredible mate! Gotta love watercooling your PC. Specially when your mates come over who know nothing about it and are just left in Awww lol.

Thanks for the kind comments, I really cannot wait to upgrade my gfx cards. But To me, It's not worth upgrading my 6970's for 7970's. So I'll wait for a 8XXX range or whatever is next in the AMD lineup :)

Currently looking for a nice touchscreen/button style fan controller as with the Define R4 I can't have a fan controller with knobs on it. So if anyone could help with a suggestion that'd be amazing.

Cheers

Mat

Wow this looks great. Love the color scheme.

My Build - Cpu: Intel i7 4770K @ 4.0Ghz Case: Phanteks Evolv ITX | Motherbord: ASUS Maximus VI ImpactRam: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
Video Card: EVGA GTX 760 | Power Supply: Corsair AX760 | Monitors: Dell P2210 | Keyboard: Logitech k270 | Mouse: Logitech M185

Looks good. And if you are happy with the fans, don't bother with a fan controller. To many times I have seen putting fans on a controller introduces motor whine on the fans themselves, unless running at full speed, 12v... Some controllers use a type of pulse control for the voltage, which most fans dislike. If you want to slow them down, look for some 7v downvolt adaptersor Low Noise Adapters. Work a lot better most of the time.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I really like the look of this. I think it all works really well. I've never seen those 6970's before and I love the look of the heatpipes and the clear plastic plus the glow of the clear plastic on the cards looks really nice too with the lighting.

Looks good. And if you are happy with the fans' date=' don't bother with a fan controller. To many times I have seen putting fans on a controller introduces motor whine on the fans themselves, unless running at full speed, 12v... Some controllers use a type of pulse control for the voltage, which most fans dislike. If you want to slow them down, look for some 7v downvolt adaptersor Low Noise Adapters. Work a lot better most of the time.[/quote']

I actually have the LNA adapters with my Cougar HDB 140mm fans http://www.cougar-world.com/products/fans/vortex_hdb.html

They are pretty quiet and still move a TON of air. However...

The two top fans in pull on my ex280 don't like to startup in their horizontal position with the LNA on them. But if you ever so slightly touch the blade, They'll spin up.

Now, I also wanted to use a fan controller for the ability to completely turn off those top two fans unless I'm gaming, and need them as an exhaust.

I've started looking at a bitfenix recon http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_511&products_id=20290

But I'm just not sure...

Hmm :)

P.S- Yes I know I still need to upgrade my rear exhaust from the Fractal Designs 140mm to a Cougar 140mm HDB.

Bunch of gear arrived from PCCG, So this is my current tally of gear.

Waiting on my pump from GAMMODS which is on back order until 13th march, And I need 2 more fans + 1 or 2 fittings.

Going to build/dummy up my rig then get the remaining fittings once I know if I want straight or angle etc.

Hozy_R4_Gear01.jpg

Just dummied this together, Pretty sure how I'll be running top exhaust, Cougar 140mm in Pull with the XSPC EX280 inside the case.

Hozy_R4_TopExhaust01.jpg

Cheers

Mat

Isn't it just the best day when all your water-cooling gear arrives in the mail!

Cheers

Mat

fin02.jpg

This looks friggin' Sweet mate! Love seeing how this turned out, you did a great job of fitting so much radiator performance in this case, well done!