Xbox 360 Questions

Mallowpuffs

Alright, so we got our Xbox 360 in late 2012 just to show how old(or young?) it is.

It's the 4GB one. We've run into the problems of "This game needs a real hard drive narb!" and have finally decided to get one. Mind you, I'm one of those people that just gets games from the library, plays it for 2 weeks then moves onto the next game. I of course still buy games that I like because even I feel it's wrong to play all these games and not pay the "makers" anything. But not being able to play Titanfall, BF4, Destiny, The Crew, etc etc is very annoying. So is not having enough space for just Skyrim saves.

There are a few problems though.

1. is that Microsoft no longer sells Hard Drives on Amazon(nor would I have payed $100 for one) then only ones that look "legit" are sold by Excel which by there page only sells Roller Cabinets and Tool Chests. Are these Hard drives real? The reviews are mixed on whether or not they're real and if the REGION2 drives work on US consoles. At $48, they look pretty good to me.

2. is that I'm honestly afraid my Xbox 360 could be on it's last legs. 3.5 years old, gets insanely hot in fairly short play times, crashes now and then, etc. Is 3.5 years about(or more??) what to expect out of these?

3. If it does die. What do I get next? Xbox one? Xbox one S? Scorpio? Another 360? In your opinions. Note. We don't have and don't plan on getting a 4K TV.

And yes, I do already have a PC which I built all by my little self. It's just not the same for some games. Nor can I play split screen Forza and Halo on it. :)

Doesn't the Xbone play 360 games now?

I remember my room mate saying something like that.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

9 minutes ago, Mallowpuffs said:

1. is that Microsoft no longer sells Hard Drives on Amazon(nor would I have payed $100 for one) then only ones that look "legit" are sold by Excel which by there page only sells Roller Cabinets and Tool Chests. Are these Hard drives real? The reviews are mixed on whether or not they're real and if the REGION2 drives work on US consoles. At $48, they look pretty good to me.

2. is that I'm honestly afraid my Xbox 360 could be on it's last legs. 3.5 years old, gets insanely hot in fairly short play times, crashes now and then, etc. Is 3.5 years about(or more??) what to expect out of these?

3. If it does die. What do I get next? Xbox one? Xbox one S? Scorpio? Another 360? In your opinions. Note. We don't have and don't plan on getting a 4K TV.

And yes, I do already have a PC which I built all by my little self. It's just not the same for some games. Nor can I play split screen Forza and Halo on it. :)

1. Gotta do what you gotta do, man. 

2. Don't be afraid.  Instead, clean it if it's getting warmer than you feel comfortable.  Get a can of compressed air and a screwdriver.  Take the console's lid off and clean it up.  Just keep track of the screws. Make sure it is well ventilated. 

3. If it dies, you're in the same position as every one else that can't decide which console to get.  The answer is always, "Get the one that has the exclusive games you want, and the console that more of your friends have."   There's really no other consideration about it.  System specifications don't matter; it's all about software and whether or not you want to play online with friends.  If any one says that specifications matter, they should go look at the ratings for Undertale and screenshots of game play.  It could run on an Atari with graphics like that, but people love it.   And they play it on computers.  So get what you like, not what others think and tell you to get. 

edit // The age of your system also doesn't matter too much either as long as you're taking care of it.  I have two 16 year old Sega Dreamcasts that work wonderfully.   My Atari 2600 is nearly as old as I am... still works. 

Unknown.jpeg

7 minutes ago, ibabyslapper said:

Doesn't the Xbone play 360 games now?

I remember my room mate saying something like that.

I believe it plays most of them. Biggest issue is budget, but it seems like the Xbox one is $299 for it + 2 controllers + Forza Horizon 2 + 3 small games which is a lot lower then I thought. Although the 360 is like $99 and we have controllers.. That's where I'm stuck.

6 minutes ago, TheBestUserName said:

1. Gotta do what you gotta do, man. 

2. Don't be afraid.  Instead, clean it if it's getting warmer than you feel comfortable.  Get a can of compressed air and a screwdriver.  Take the console's lid off and clean it up.  Just keep track of the screws. Make sure it is well ventilated. 

3. If it dies, you're in the same position as every one else that can't decide which console to get.  The answer is always, "Get the one that has the exclusive games you want, and the console that more of your friends have."   There's really no other consideration about it.  System specifications don't matter; it's all about software and whether or not you want to play online with friends.  If any one says that specifications matter, they should go look at the ratings for Undertale and screenshots of game play.  It could run on an Atari with graphics like that, but people love it.   And they play it on computers.  So get what you like, not what others think and tell you to get. 

Yeah, I plan on cleaning it out. I'm leaning towards just spending the money and getting a new drive and hoping she lasts.

It's going to be Microsoft. No way around that, between Forza, Halo and PC.

Mostly what my issue between the Xbox one's is that when the Scorpio thingy comes out, the original is going to be very obsolete(If the specs are what they say) and I don't want to be in 2 years not able to play the current games. But I think they said something about the Xbox one being able to play anything the Project scorpio can, just at lower res..

18 minutes ago, Mallowpuffs said:

--SNIP--

As far as I know, you can use any portable hard drive with the Xbox 360, so long as it's fast enough to work as such.

http://support.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-360/accessories/storage

I personally have a 60GB Xbox 360 Original (second hardware revision as mine has HDMI but no WiFi), and use a 64GB USB 3.0 drive with it.

The USB 3.0 doesn't mean much as the Xbox 360 doesn't have 3.0 ports, but it ensures the USB drive actually can read/write at full 2.0 speeds.

If your Xbox 360 does die, buy whatever system works for the games you want to play, and the games you currently license.

Personally, we went with a PS4 simply because I really love cinematic story driven games like Last of Us and God of War, which are exclusives to Sony's platform, along with all my Ubisoft titles like The Crew Wild Run and Child of Light. (This is mostly because I refuse to install uPlay (read: uDontPlay) onto any of my PC's.

The PS4 is in addition to my work/gaming PC I recently built, linked in my signature below.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

7 minutes ago, kirashi said:

As far as I know, you can use any portable hard drive with the Xbox 360, so long as it's fast enough to work as such.

I personally have a 60GB Xbox 360 Original (second hardware revision as mine has HDMI but no WiFi), and use a 64GB USB 3.0 drive with it.

The USB 3.0 doesn't mean much as the Xbox 360 doesn't have 3.0 ports, but it ensures the USB drive actually can read/write at full 2.0 speeds.

I know Dragon Age: Inquisition requires an 'internal' hard drive to install; external drives won't work for installing it. I'm not sure what other games it is like that for, but if it's like that for one of them, I imagine there are more. I'd just play it til it dies; hopefully it makes it til Scorpio, as that would be the most significant upgrade. Or wait for the slim to drop and people to sell the fat Xbone and grab one of those.

19 minutes ago, kirashi said:

If your Xbox 360 does die, buy whatever system works for the games you want to play, and the games you currently license.

Personally, we went with a PS4 simply because I really love cinematic story driven games like Last of Us and God of War, which are exclusives to Sony's platform, along with all my Ubisoft titles like The Crew Wild Run and Child of Light. (This is mostly because I refuse to install uPlay (read: uDontPlay) onto any of my PC's.

The PS4 is in addition to my work/gaming PC I recently built, linked in my signature below.

Thanks for all the info! Unfortunately, like Omon_Ra said below, some games (Dragon Age: Inquisition, Titanfall, BF4, The Crew, etc need an internal drive. I already run two 16GB flash sticks.

Also, I thought I'd say that as long as there are discs, that's what I'll be using. I may be old fashioned, but I still can't get around how downloads are better. Discs are right there. No company can take your disc away after you payed for it. How I feel anyway.

5 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

I know Dragon Age: Inquisition requires an 'internal' hard drive to install; external drives won't work for installing it. I'm not sure what other games it is like that for, but if it's like that for one of them, I imagine there are more. I'd just play it til it dies; hopefully it makes it til Scorpio, as that would be the most significant upgrade. Or wait for the slim to drop and people to sell the fat Xbone and grab one of those.

Yeah, hopefully it does. If it dies sooner, then hopefully I can the old Xbox one for like $150 barely used when the S comes out.

1 minute ago, Mallowpuffs said:

No company can take your disc away after you payed for it. How I feel anyway.

Makes sense sticking with whatever you're most comfortable with, so keep on it. That and I understand your need for Halo and Forza.

Discs cannot physically be taken away, but nothings stopping MS or Sony from putting out a mandatory update that breaks the game. Mind you, this happens on PC too, so we just can't get away from it.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

10 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Makes sense sticking with whatever you're most comfortable with, so keep on it. That and I understand your need for Halo and Forza.

Discs cannot physically be taken away, but nothings stopping MS or Sony from putting out a mandatory update that breaks the game. Mind you, this happens on PC too, so we just can't get away from it.

True, and I've ruined a fair share of discs in my time ;), but I've had some really bad experiences with digital copies. My worst being Heroes Of Might and Magic VI. Payed $60, 3 weeks later Uplay said I never owned it. And I was just about to win. Maybe a freak accident, but it was enough for me.

That and the feeling of opening up a case, putting the CD in and listening to it pur... Or grind away as my Xbox has done. :)