US government shuts down after Congress fails to pass funding bill

CyberneticTitan

Someone needs to read some history. The government that this country was founded upon is a constitutional republic. The first president of the United States was against the two party system because it leads to people fighting against each other instead of being united. Oh hey, Washington called it. Look at this mess with the two political parties. -- The American healthcare system /is/ broken and does need a complete overhaul, the way Obama went about it was just messy and not effective. If anything, the increased overhead made people earn less from cut hours or worse, let go completely because their employer couldn't handle all the extra expenses.

No, it means you can see this through rose coloured glasses without actually living in the environment you're critiquing.

I agree. The ACA has a lot of fundamental issues. It should be a single-payer system.

But for fuck's sake, halting a million people's jobs and paychecks over this shit? God dammit.

Rather than trying to fix it and have an amended plan, John Boehner and his asshat colleagues will just do everything kill it, despite it having passed 4 years ago!

3700X, GTX1060, 64GB HyperX 3000, B450 DS3H, 500GB SN750, TT Core G3, PreSonus Audiobox USB96

I wouldn't call it a flame war so much as correcting misinformation. Besides, I think as an American personally effected by the situation, I am considerably a lot more reliable source of how things are going in this country than someone who never even been to it.

You were not correcting misinformation, you were putting your POINT-OF-VIEW across. The fact that you are personally affected by the situation is precisely what makes you the worst person to ask because of emotions overcoming reason.

If you can't help getting a bit lippy then please don't reply to me. I made my first comment to nobody; it was ypu who started up with your anti-government nonsense. 

Intel 3770K @ 4.4GHz (Summer) - 4.6GHz (Winter) / Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe / EVGA GTX 680 /w Arctic Twin Turbo II / 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1866MHz / Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (Steam) / OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (Boot/Office/Steam) / Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2 (RAID 1, Storage) / Asus Xonar D2X / OCZ 1250W ZX / H80i /w 2 x Gentle Typhoons / Cooler Master HAF X /w Pioneer Blu Ray, Aerocool V12XT, 4 x Cooler Master MegaFlows (Red) / Logitech Z906, G930, G19 & G700

I hope this doesn't affect me as a Canadian :D

Well, they have nuclear bombs, and I imagine they get bored every once and awhile.... :P

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 (2x SP120 Quiet Edition)  Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz  PSU: Corsair AX850  GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB

But for fuck's sake, halting a million people's jobs and paychecks over this shit? God dammit.

Exactly the point. They'd rather put 800,000 people out of work and try and force 1 million to work for free rather than come to any compromise over a bill that is designed to stop tens of millions of Americans from not having proper access to healthcare (a basic human right, IMO, especially in a G20 country that should be able to EASILY afford it!!).

Intel 3770K @ 4.4GHz (Summer) - 4.6GHz (Winter) / Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe / EVGA GTX 680 /w Arctic Twin Turbo II / 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1866MHz / Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (Steam) / OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (Boot/Office/Steam) / Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2 (RAID 1, Storage) / Asus Xonar D2X / OCZ 1250W ZX / H80i /w 2 x Gentle Typhoons / Cooler Master HAF X /w Pioneer Blu Ray, Aerocool V12XT, 4 x Cooler Master MegaFlows (Red) / Logitech Z906, G930, G19 & G700

I'm sorry to tell you Mooshi, but people in this country are HEAVILY brainwashed by propaganda. Sometimes they don't even know it. I think you're one of those. I'm noticing posters here from Texas seem particularly vulnerable to believing the problem is just as much the Democrats as it is the Republicans. That's not correct. The Democratic party is not perfect, but they're not the ones throwing wrenches into the gears, to then complain about the machine running poorly.

You'd do well to listen to perspectives of people living in other 1st world countries.

It's funny though I actually feel more free for some reason... Wierd...

http://youtu.be/UlhUx89CM_g?t=38s

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 (2x SP120 Quiet Edition)  Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz  PSU: Corsair AX850  GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB

guys remember no flaming wars :P

Who's flaming? Do you not think that the media all over the world purveys some form of bias or propaganda into the argument. I was pointing out the fact that people not in America are not subject to that and are more able to analyse the situation without bias. If he didn't want to reply he shouldn't have talked to me in the first place. My first comment wasn't addressed to anyone. 

IThe Democratic party is not perfect, but they're not the ones throwing wrenches into the gears, to then complain about the machine running poorly.

You'd do well to listen to perspectives of people living in other 1st world countries.

I'm not religious, but Amen to that!!

Seriously, to all the Canadians here, we're not any better. We might not be shutting down completely, but our system is completely FUBAR.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

Seriously, to all the Canadians here, we're not any better. We might not be shutting down completely, but our system is completely FUBAR.

Oh? What's going on over there?

Again can someone explain in plain english without all the mumbo jumbo what this is? something about obamacare what ever that is being bad or something and the people who sit in the high seats in a building are mad about it or something so the government shuts down o_o

Yeh I don't really understand wtf is happening or what it means.....I don't watch news or keep up with any events around the world...its boring.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

The thing is, I used to be on the anti-Republican band wagon before Obama was elected because the direction Bush took the country and abroad was unforgivable. I was naive enough to believe anything just as long as it meant no more Bush. Unfortunately, some people are still stuck in this mind set. -- They are too fixated on the damage Bush has done that they can't see the damage caused by the Obama administration is more of the same.

The more I looked deeply into each party, the more information was leaked..the more I became disgusted with both. Neither side nor congress gives a damn about the American citizen, not even there own brethren. All those people suddenly out of a job betrayed by their own government is disgusting! As for healthcare, my cousin needs a kidney transplant because both of his are shot. Had he been in another country, this would have been covered. But as it stands, his life expectancy is in the balance. I myself need expensive meds I can't afford and I've needed them for years. Obama hasn't magically made healthcare what it could be. Both sides can't come up with a proper way to fix the broken system and instead point fingers at each other and pull this crap.

It doesn't matter I'm from Texas, I'm not some braindead hick that likes shouting things like "OBAMA IS A TERRORIST!!!1111!" and other dumb shit that seems to be implied. If anything, it's down right insulting to imply such a thing. I could be born in a northern progressive state like Oregon and have the same opinion that this is not how America should be.

Sounds like someone listens a bit too closely to Fox News ;)

You live in just about the most hardcore, right-wing, bible-bashing state in America. I don't live in America and never have. Which of the two of us do you think is more able to look at this free of bias?

you do realize that the money has to come from somewhere. it doesn't fall off trees. it comes from the middle class, through taxes.

Former Teksyndicate Forum Moderator, IT student

my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/FnC

you do realize that the money has to come from somewhere. it doesn't fall off trees. it comes from the middle class, through taxes.

Exactly. The US even pays considerably more on healthcare than our neighbors up north, but it's the mismanagement of funds that our government is known for is what's an issue.  Everything proposed has to be funded somehow and it isn't the most wealthy of millionaires and billionaires that's taking a hit. It's the working middle class that is suffering.

1 - Don't ask that so patronisingly. I pay taxes, I know where it comes from. Snotty things like that just aren't necessary.

2 - Everyone pays taxes. 

The thing is, I used to be on the anti-Republican band wagon before Obama was elected because the direction Bush took the country and abroad was unforgivable. I was naive enough to believe anything just as long as it meant no more Bush. Unfortunately, some people are still stuck in this mind set. -- They are too fixated on the damage Bush has done that they can't see the damage caused by the Obama administration is more of the same.

The more I looked deeply into each party, the more information was leaked..the more I became disgusted with both. Neither side nor congress gives a damn about the American citizen, not even there own brethren. All those people suddenly out of a job betrayed by their own government is disgusting! As for healthcare, my cousin needs a kidney transplant because both of his are shot. Had he been in another country, this would have been covered. But as it stands, his life expectancy is in the balance. I myself need expensive meds I can't afford and I've needed them for years. Obama hasn't magically made healthcare what it could be. Both sides can't come up with a proper way to fix the broken system and instead point fingers at each other and pull this crap.

It doesn't matter I'm from Texas, I'm not some braindead hick that likes shouting things like "OBAMA IS A TERRORIST!!!1111!" and other dumb shit that seems to be implied. If anything, it's down right insulting to imply such a thing. I could be born in a northern progressive state like Oregon and have the same opinion that this is not how America should be.

The problem is that the US has a hard time figuring out what the hell kind of country it wants to be. You have a large GOP base still stuck in McCarthy-era thinking, who will vote for a GOP candidate no matter what. In the end, this goes beyond Democrats and Republicans, and  more to do with how things are run in Congress. However, in this moment, it really is the GOP/tea party that is holding the country more or less hostage. The GOP has pandered to extremist rights for so long that the Democratic party is now right of center, compared to other countries. We don't even HAVE a liberal/progressive party.

The problem is that the US has a hard time figuring out what the hell kind of country it wants to be. You have a large GOP base still stuck in McCarthy-era thinking, who will vote for a GOP candidate no matter what. In the end, this goes beyond Democrats and Republicans, and  more to do with how things are run in Congress. However, in this moment, it really is the GOP/tea party that is holding the country more or less hostage. The GOP has pandered to extremist rights for so long that the Democratic party is now right of center, compared to other countries. We don't even HAVE a liberal/progressive party.

As I've made clear before, I don't care for either party. The problem that I see is that person A might have a great idea for the country, but their party might add some strings to fit their platform and before you know it, a great idea became ruined by political propaganda. That's what's so messed up in my eyes. There are honest men and women in this country from all sorts of political backgrounds that have sound ideas, but are being oppressed  by sometimes their own party.

Regardless of what someone personally believes both on LTT and off, we can all agree that something dramatic needs to happen to the states. Though opinions differ, I don't hate anyone on LTT. We all have our own opinions depending on perspective. I would like for "we the people" to mean something again.

Oh? What's going on over there?

We have so many parties here that a majority government won't ever be seen again. Since 2000 to 2012, we should've had 3 elections, once every four years. We've had five. There are about 4-5 parties with a legitimate shot at winning seats, and one of those is only present in Quebec. So we have minority governments right now, and since they don't have half the seats they can call for a reelection every time they don't like something, hence our five elections. Not having a majority also means it's damn near impossible to get anything through Parliament. And chances are, we won't see a majority government in the next long while. And you thought Congress liked to act like children, now you know what can happen every time there's a disagreement.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

Yes, but unfortunately most of the populace up in arms about the ACA quite literally think that and don't have an informed POV. Just take a look at any of the GOP senator's pages. Thats' what most of the posts are about. Old people ranting about Obama, no matter how little his relevance. It's all just to take down "the man who has destroyed America" (as if the sky is red and the apocalypse is nigh). They're so hard for Obama's D they can't stop talking about him.

I loathe the war-mongering, domestic-spying, shady-ass administration as much as anyone else. But it's for those reasons. Not because of some irrational witchhunt for the brown-skinned guy.

3700X, GTX1060, 64GB HyperX 3000, B450 DS3H, 500GB SN750, TT Core G3, PreSonus Audiobox USB96

Yes, but unfortunately most of the populace up in arms about the ACA quite literally think that and don't have an informed POV. Just take a look at any of the GOP senator's pages. Thats' what most of the posts are about. Old people ranting about Obama, no matter how little his relevance. It's all just to take down "the man who has destroyed America" (as if the sky is red and the apocalypse is nigh). They're so hard for Obama's D they can't stop talking about him.

I loathe the war-mongering, domestic-spying, shady-ass administration as much as anyone else. But it's for those reasons. Not because of some irrational witchhunt for the brown-skinned guy.

It's crazy to think that the country that was dubbed the sole Superpower of the world and has breached the top 10 most value companies with a majority is even having these kinds of issues on its own shores.

It's crazy to think that the country that was dubbed the sole Superpower of the world and has breached the top 10 most value companies with a majority is even having these kinds of issues on its own shores.

Well at least some of that 'wealth' comes from governments printing (almost) endless new cash ;)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Well at least some of that 'wealth' comes from governments printing (almost) endless new cash ;)

Murrica doesn't need the US government to peddle Mcdonalds cheeseburgers across the globe. :P

The funny thing is a government "shutdown" is hardly a shutdown and more of an alarmist term. It's not nearly as bad will make it out to be, or as bad as most people think it is.

. You have a large GOP base still stuck in McCarthy-era thinking, who will vote for a GOP candidate no matter what.

The exact same issue plagues the democratic vote. Why do people try to push every issue to one side or the other? It's usually both.

1 - Don't ask that so patronisingly. I pay taxes, I know where it comes from. Snotty things like that just aren't necessary.

2 - Everyone pays taxes. 

ummm, point #2  is not quite correct. i pay liek $300 in taxes, if that, because I make so little. the rich are able to pay to find loopholes. the middle class is somewhere between.

actually, most other contries lack super-advanced healthcare (are overloaded) due to the public healthcare system. i've heard people in the UK have to WAIT FOR THE ER.