Nexus 6P vs OnePlus 3?

Lays

So I have around ~400 to spend on a new phone, I currently have a Note 4, but it has some issues and it's a bit slow sometimes.  I'd like to buy something else since it's in the budget.

My two top choices right now are 6P and OP3, I have one friend telling me to get the OP3, and one telling me to get the 6P.

Could anybody that's more knowledgeable about phones elaborate on why I should make either choice?

I know the OP3 is 1080p, the 6P is 1440p, the 6P is slighly larger and heavier. OP3 has an 820 which is apparently more efficient and the 6P has an 810?

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I'd personally go OP3

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Personally I'd go with the 6P, while the OP3 is a good phone I feel like it doesn't have the same level of product support (neither to the level of Samsung or Apple, but I digress).  I have the 6P myself and while that may make me biased I just feel it is a perfectly fine phone with some gorgeous aesthetics.  

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

Just now, Aruxx said:

Personally I'd go with the 6P, while the OP3 is a good phone I feel like it doesn't have the same level of product support (neither to the level of Samsung or Apple, but I digress).  I have the 6P myself and while that may make me biased I just feel it is a perfectly fine phone with some gorgeous aesthetics.  

By product support do you mean like, ROM updates etc? Or do you mean customer support with tech issues / RMA stuff like that?

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

9 minutes ago, Lays said:

So I have around ~400 to spend on a new phone, I currently have a Note 4, but it has some issues and it's a bit slow sometimes.  I'd like to buy something else since it's in the budget.

My two top choices right now are 6P and OP3, I have one friend telling me to get the OP3, and one telling me to get the 6P.

Could anybody that's more knowledgeable about phones elaborate on why I should make either choice?

I know the OP3 is 1080p, the 6P is 1440p, the 6P is slighly larger and heavier. OP3 has an 820 which is apparently more efficient and the 6P has an 810?

I was in the same sitation as you a week ago, I decided on the OP3

The 6p, the only thing It has going for is Software Updates

The op3 beats it in every way spec wise, And display rez at that size dosen't matter much you aren't going to notice much of a difference from 1440p to 1080p on a 5inch phone

6p has poor build quality in comparison of the op3, though not enough in which it will break easialy

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

The op3 beats it in every way spec wise, And display rez at that size dosen't matter much you aren't going to notice much of a difference from 1440p to 1080p on a 5inch phone

Do you know anything about picture quality between the two of em?

1 minute ago, Lays said:

no but all i know is they both take great pictures and the 6p dosen't have a optical image stabilization

probably safe to bet on the OP3. it's getting pretty close to the time where the nexus line will refresh anyways. though the 6p is still a solid phone 

1 minute ago, Lays said:

the 6p has a very good camera. only problem is the google camera app... 

6 minutes ago, Aytex said:

6p has poor build quality in comparison of the op3, though not enough in which it will break easialy

poor build quality? 

OP3:

-Cheaper

-More storage

-Better handling

-Option to use capacitive or onscreen buttons

-Feature-packed-but-still-feels-like-stock Oxygen OS 3.0

-Better colours on display

-Alert slider (IMO a godsend, Apple has had it nailed for ages)

-Better camera software

6P:

-Dual front facing speaker

-Better res display

-Google's lovechild (updates and support)

Tell me if I'm missing anything.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

probably safe to bet on the OP3. it's getting pretty close to the time where the nexus line will refresh anyways. though the 6p is still a solid phone 

the 6p has a very good camera. only problem is the google camera app... 

poor build quality? 

look up bend tests, it bends pretty ezily if u actually put force towards it, compared to other phones its really weak

5 minutes ago, Aytex said:

look up bend tests, it bends pretty ezily if u actually put force towards it, compared to other phones its really weak

For what it's worth, the bend test is actually beyond stupid....unless of course you walk around trying to bend your phone in half.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

For what it's worth, the bend test is actually beyond stupid....unless of course you walk around trying to bend your phone in half.

Well I expected someone to say that, im just saying compared to other phones, it is bad...

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Well I expected someone to say that, im just saying compared to other phones, it is bad...

i really don't see why anyone would try to bend a phone, but okay 

27 minutes ago, Lays said:

By product support do you mean like, ROM updates etc? Or do you mean customer support with tech issues / RMA stuff like that?

I mean like cases and accessories, etc.  But yes updates are a thing too that the Nexus has on it.

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

25 minutes ago, Lays said:

Linus says it's pretty good.

camera is competitive with the galaxy s7.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Have you considered the ZTE Axon 7? It has pretty good spec when compared to the other two.

• Smaller
  • Beats the OP3 for resoution
  • MicroSD expansion
  • Better audio
  • Front facing speakers
  • Quick Charge 3.0
  • USB 3.0
  • Possibly a 2 year warranty, including accidental drops. Not sure on the cost.

I wouldn't get the Nexus. Too close to the next iteration. The OnePlus...not bad, but they missed the design language a bit.

20 minutes ago, Dargenfire said:

OP3:

-Cheaper

-More storage

-Better handling

-Option to use capacitive or onscreen buttons

-Feature-packed-but-still-feels-like-stock Oxygen OS 3.0

-Better colours on display

-Alert slider (IMO a godsend, Apple has had it nailed for ages)

-Better camera software

6P:

-Dual front facing speaker

-Better res display

-Google's lovechild (updates and support)

Tell me if I'm missing anything.

Camera software shouldn't be considered a plus, there are many, many capable apps available.

Also better handling? Because it's smaller?

8 minutes ago, Aruxx said:

I mean like cases and accessories, etc.  But yes updates are a thing too that the Nexus has on it.

Decent. Most come from OnePlus, but DBrand usually makes skins. Not many people make stuff for OnePlus phones, so the Nexus wins that category.

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Linus says it's pretty good.

camera is competitive with the galaxy s7.

Not really.

Most reviewers, while saying it's nice, have placed the camera in a solid mid range category. Linus likes it, but he doesn't really review phones.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

OP3 or Axon 7

Axon has the edge in specs (not even released yet)

Better camera and usb port

However if you going to custom rom you will want a more popular/widely used device.

6P is popular and well known but its specs simply cannot match.

Personally I'd choose the OP3 because of the lower res screen (yes that is a selling point for me, bc battery life)

In reality I'd never get a phone without swappable battery.

I only want something I can use 10 years down the road without forfeiting a single day of use.

You know that the battery life isn't really affected by screen resolution right?

The newer SoC's hitting the market have no issue running higher resolutions. Most phones get around 4 hours of on screen time regardless of whether they have a 1080p screen, or 1440p screen.

The 250mah bump with the Axon would more than compensate for any additional drain.

Haha, in 10 years phones won't look anything like they do today...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

39 minutes ago, Aytex said:

I use my 6P with a soft TPU case or naked, I have no doubt in my phone's strength. Honestly, you'd probably have to apply force or be an idiot to bend it.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

39 minutes ago, Suika said:

I use my 6P with a soft TPU case or naked, I have no doubt in my phone's strength. Honestly, you'd probably have to apply force or be an idiot to bend it.

I said you had to apply force, why is everyone attacking me lol

44 minutes ago, Aytex said:

I said you had to apply force, why is everyone attacking me lol

i don't know about you but i would never try to bend my phone... i'd get a s7 active if i was that worried about phone strength 

thanks for the advice peeps, just bought a OP3 :D

49 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

You need more power to run more pixels. Nothing to do with the SoC's capability to run certain resolutions.

10 years is obviously exaggerating it a bit. But you get my idea.

I want a phone that never has to be plugged in, one that lasts. People be hugging walls or hooking up their phones to deadweights. I just swap battery and in a few secs I'm back at full charge. Like a thug.

Not really. Check out the many phone reviews, and in actual real world situations the higher pixel count really has no affect on battery life. No where near what the other design elements does.

I think you're probably the only person I've seen that actually uses swappable batteries :P 

I agree in a way though. Fast charging is only so useful. If I'm out, away from a wall then yeah I'd want at least a larger battery.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

19 hours ago, dizmo said:

Most reviewers, while saying it's nice, have placed the camera in a solid mid range category. Linus likes it, but he doesn't really review phones.

It's interesting how he said that OnePlus 3's camera is competitive with the Galaxy S7, but the one in the LG G5 is a "massive kick in the balls". I still can't believe how bad his review of the LG G5 was...

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

On 20.6.2016 at 4:02 AM, Lays said:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/oneplus-3-vs-nexus-6p

i'd recommend to go with the OP3, love my OP2 and was thinking about a upgrade

the only flaw i could see on the OP3 is that going from 2 to 3 the camera on the back is a bit "bulgier"

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

OP3 of course. Its the better device.

I wouldn't buy a Snapdragon 810 device right now, aside from the Oneplus 2 (because of the cheap price )