Apple Music Redesign - Now with Zune!

GoodBytes

paid not payed.

sorry.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

As a former Zune user, I can somewhat see the resemblance, but it's not that similar to me. I can clearly tell them apart, but maybe that's just because I actually had a Zune.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

9 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

paid not payed.

sorry.

Thanks, fix.

1 minute ago, SurvivorNVL said:

Hopefully they have ALAC.  AAC at 256kbps isn't bad, though.

Not as bad as Google Music, which uses MP3 (albeit at 320Kbps).

I don't get why the industry hasn't moved to Opus yet.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

Hopefully more and more do.

You can bet that Apple intentionally choose to hold this at the same time as E3.  It's their personality to act like the most important company ever in hopes that everyone will continue to believe it's true.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I see the resemblance.

Apple does it again.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

I see the resemblance.

Apple does it again.

Me too. And I've owned a Zune so it does bring back the memories.

Spotify is still haemorrhaging losses, precisely because a significant amount of its huge user base is on the free tier which costs Spotify more to run than it earns the in ad revenue. 

More isn't always better, especially when it doesn't give you more of what you want (more profits) but instead saddles you with more problems to contend with (higher losses). 

Apple Music may boast fewer users, but each user is a paying one, and in the long run, Apple Music seems to stand a higher chance of being financially viable compared to Spotify or any other music streaming service not backed by a huge corporation. 

5 hours ago, abazigal said:

Spotify is still haemorrhaging losses, precisely because a significant amount of its huge user base is on the free tier which costs Spotify more to run than it earns the in ad revenue. 

More isn't always better, especially when it doesn't give you more of what you want (more profits) but instead saddles you with more problems to contend with (higher losses). 

Apple Music may boast fewer users, but each user is a paying one, and in the long run, Apple Music seems to stand a higher chance of being financially viable compared to Spotify or any other music streaming service not backed by a huge corporation. 

Dude.. Spotify had 30 million users that PAYS vs Apple's 15 million.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Dude.. Spotify had 30 million users that PAYS vs Apple's 15 million.

And a part of that goes to subsidising the free tier 

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

3 hours ago, Centurius said:

And a part of that goes to subsidising the free tier 

And how is that related to anything?

9 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

And how is that related to anything?

It affects long term sustainability. When you don't need to subsidise a portion of your userbase you can focus money where it matters most, infrastructure and licensing.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

19 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I am no expert in audio, so can you explain what the big deal is with Opus?

I already consider MP3 obsolete, and I replace the MP3 audio clips (including songs) with ACC-MP4 where I can. I may have somewhat "low" standards, but for me, AAC VBR at ~200kbps is good enough. At what bitrate does Opus match the quality?

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

22 hours ago, SurvivorNVL said:

But is Apple Music getting FLAC? :D

Why would they? It's just a waste of storage space, 99.9999% of the time it makes little to no audible difference. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

1 hour ago, Blade of Grass said:

Why would they? It's just a waste of storage space, 99.9999% of the time it makes little to no audible difference. 

SHHHHHHH Don't tell me the placebo effect is real allow me to believe what I want.

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900X – Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi  – RAM: 4 x 16 GB G. Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz- GPU: ASUS  Strix Geforce GTX 1080ti– Case: Phankteks Enthoo Pro M – Storage: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB Intel 800p, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB & WD Blue 1 TB PSU: EVGA 1000P2– Display(s): ASUS PB238Q, AOC 4k, Korean 1440p 144hz Monitor - Cooling: NH-U12S, 2 gentle typhoons and 3 noiseblocker eloops – Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB Mouse: G502 Rgb & G Pro Wireless– Sound: Logitech z623 & AKG K240

9 hours ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

I am no expert in audio, so can you explain what the big deal is with Opus?

I already consider MP3 obsolete, and I replace the MP3 audio clips (including songs) with ACC-MP4 where I can. I may have somewhat "low" standards, but for me, AAC VBR at ~200kbps is good enough. At what bitrate does Opus match the quality?

AAC and very comparable in terms of quality, except at low bit rates (100Kbps or lower) where Opus usually wins. At 200Kbps and over there shouldn't be a quality difference (at least not Opus vs AAC).

One benefit is that it is free and in freedom and free beer. Manufacturers and developers of end user encoders/decoders has to pay a licensing fee for ACC. If your device supports more than stereo audio then it costs as 1.5 units (and prices range from 0.98 dollars to 0.10 dollars per unit). So if you got 10.1 million users you will save about 2.4 million dollars by not using AAC. It's not that much money for a company like Apple or Samsung, but I think we should move away from formats which requires licensing fees as much as possible (and where it would not harm things like performance or quality).

Opus rise to fame is the latency though. It was originally developed for VoIP and as a result the latency is phenomenal. Formats like AAC and Vorbis are often in the ~200ms range, while Opus is usually below 20ms. It is even faster than AAC-LD (a codec based on AAC tuned specifically for low latency) which is somewhere between 20ms and 40ms on average.

It supports more channels. AAC already supports a quite ridiculous 48 channels so I don't know if you can call it a benefit, but Opus goes up to 255.

It is more robust to packet loss. Not useful for music playback but useful for live stuff (like phone calls and live broadcasts).

The big drawback is that it does not support 44.1kHz sampling rate. It can only do 48kHz, 24kHz, 16kHz, 12kHz or 8kHz. It's not really a problem though because it can do 44.1kHz -> 48kHz inaudibly well.

Looking at the release dates made me realize why it isn't more widely used... It was released late 2012. AAC has been around since 1997.

Anyway, for music listening it is not really better quality wise than AAC. I want the industry to swap to it for licensing reasons (everyone saves money) and it is more suitable for other things, so we could use the same codec everywhere.

3 hours ago, Blade of Grass said:

Honestly, why wouldn't they? If they have a useless file type sitting around *cough* ALAC *cough* then they might as well put it to good use.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

*snip*

and how does Ogg Vorbis stack up then?  That's been around for quite a while, and is free in the same way afaik

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

54 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

and how does Ogg Vorbis stack up then?  That's been around for quite a while, and is free in the same way afaik

Pretty much the same as against AAC as far as I know. Opus wins at really low bit rates, it's even at higher (like >200Kbps), Opus wins with latency (Vorbis is also ~200ms, like AAC). Vorbis support for sampling rates is much better. Not just because of 44.1kHz support but it also goes much higher. Opus tops out at 48kHz while Vorbus goes up to like 200 or something. I don't really think 48kHz is limiting Opus in any practical way though.

Xiph (organization behind both Vorbis and Opus) says that Opus can replace Vorbis.

Does Opus make all those other lossy codecs obsolete?

Theoretically, yes.

From a technical point of view (loss, delay, bitrates, ...) it should replace both Vorbis and Speex, and the common proprietary codecs too.

Another huge thing about Opus is that it is super "flexible" (lack a better word for it). It can switch between modes in-band. One example I read about was a person who had an audio book. In the audio book there was some music sections. So in Opus the talking parts were mono with low bit rate, and then when the music parts came up it switched to stereo and high bit rate, seamlessly inside the same stream. They made it that way so that it can adapt to network conditions when using VoIP.

If you are interested in Opus I recommend this presentation by Greg Maxwell (worked on Vorbis and Opus). The first 17 minutes is about free codecs in general + Opus. The rest is about Daala (which I am super excited for as well, next generation video codec). For info on Daala I would recommend this video instead (it becomes very technical though, but the speaker is good).

37 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

*snip*

wow, that all sounds really awesome!  Now we just need it to catch on, just like replacements for gif and jpg that are much better.  I predict, pessimistically, that it/they won't though, since it's a catch 22.  People don't want to use them unless they're common and supported everywhere, but no one wants to bother supporting them unless they're common.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

wow, that all sounds really awesome!  Now we just need it to catch on, just like replacements for gif and jpg that are much better.  I predict, pessimistically, that it/they won't though, since it's a catch 22.  People don't want to use them unless they're common and supported everywhere, but no one wants to bother supporting them unless they're common.

Facebook tried. Google developed WebP (great image format that is based on the video codec VP8). Facebook actually switched over to it but later had to go back to jpeg because people were complaining. The problem is that companies like Microsoft are for some reason extremely slow with supporting new codecs, and if something isn't supported natively in Windows then you will have a ton of people complaining that they can't use your format.

One of the most requested feature for Windows 10 was support for BGP (better portable graphics). There was no response from Microsoft last time I checked (and the suggestion page seems to have been taken down). Here is some info about BPG.

In summary:

• MUCH better compression than jpeg. Way better image quality at the same file size.
  • Based on HEVC
  • Can be decoded using the dedicated decoding blocks in GPUs. So that means very high performance and very low power usage.
  • Supports transparency.
  • Can be lossless, or lossy.
  • Supports metadata.
  • Animation support (because you know, it's based on a video codec).
  • Up to 14bits per color channel (very high dynamic range support)

The drawback is that HEVC is not a free codec. So you will need a HEVC license to use BPG.

Here are examples of how it stacks up against jpeg. You can change image as well as encoding settings. The smaller the file is, the more noticeable the difference.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

*snip*

Yeah I know about some of gif and jpg's potential replacements, that's why I mentioned it.  They'd be great but they're just not catching on.

On 13/6/2016 at 2:21 PM, SurvivorNVL said:

But is Apple Music getting FLAC? :D

Tidal?