Best GPU for 250 whilst waiting for the 1070?

fwright18

Looking for the best CURRENT GPU for $250. I will use it before returning it next week. I was suppose to have my 1070 today but credit card froze my funds over an issue with Amazon until next week.

try and get something off ebay or other second-hand website. It's probably the cheapest and fastest way of getting a temp replacement. Or try running on cpu graphics. I know it sucks, but it will save you $250

USD. I was thinking of Amazon as they usually have real good return policies.

12 minutes ago, fwright18 said:

before returning it next week

you are the poison of our society.

suck it up for one week and buy the product you want instead of giving amazon one more reason to nerf their return policy screwing the people that have legitimate reasons to use that service.

scumbag status. 

a week without a GPU. NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! 

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

you are the poison of our society.

suck it up for one week and buy the product you want instead of giving amazon one more reason to nerf their return policy screwing the people that have legitimate reasons to use that service.

Poison of our society? Lol, get real. 

1 minute ago, fwright18 said:

Don't buy a fucking product knowing you'll return it next week, after a minimum 2 day shipping, you'll lose on this.

I hope you get a DOA.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

because this:

3 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

scumbag status. 

a week without a GPU. NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! 

if you cant deal with not having a dedicated gpu for one week you are a sad, sad person that has no life. if theres absolutely nothing you can do in that week to the point you're gonna order a GPU to send it back next week you *must* be a sad, sad person.

for just one week, do something else. you may actually learn something that'll make you a smarter person.

3 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Don't buy a fucking product knowing you'll return it next week, after a minimum 2 day shipping, you'll lose on this.

I hope you get a DOA.

Yes. You also probably hope I die because I'll end up returning the product and they have to restock it. Wow! Terrible person, really.

Yes. You also probably hope I die because I'll end up returning the product and they have to restock it. Wow! Terrible person, really.

Oh, Apparently disagreeing with an impatience organism for buying a unneeded product because he/she has the patience of an ant trying to get a potato chip crumb is telling them to die. Yeah, for sure. I still hope this said user gets a A DOA and his/her GTX 1070 is a DOA multiple times.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I don't wish any ill will on you but buying something knowing you plan on returning it is kind of scummy.  You're exploiting their service for your own gain. 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

5 minutes ago, fwright18 said:

so.. last time someone told me they couldnt live without <insert thing here> for a week i told them to go to rehab.

i shall do the same to you:

are you completely unable to not touch a pc game for a week? go to rehab. its not healthy to be addicted to your pc. i've seen people destroy their lives like this, and the lives of those around them.

you know what worries me most here? not the fact you're buying a gpu with the purpose of returning it. the fact my very rude and probably borderline on the community standards reply to you is getting agrees from people from all sides of this forum while you are too sucked up in your own little world to realise what a spoilt little brat you are.

i'm not old by any stretch of the imagination, but i wrote a 10 page research paper with pen and paper because my computer was acting up. suck it up, grow a pair, and grow up.

if you need a computer in that week, go to the frikkin library.

just wait the week. Seriously how old are you? I bet you are an only child spoilt little brat.

40 minutes ago, fwright18 said:

Looking for the best CURRENT GPU for $250. I will use it before returning it next week. I was suppose to have my 1070 today but credit card froze my funds over an issue with Amazon until next week.

How come you can't call up your bank to un-freeze the credit card?

And I'll side with most of the people here, and just tell you to wait for that one week. If your current computer is the one that you've asked about prior, with the i7 6700, then you will be fine for just that one extra week. It's even enough to game on, honestly.

The integrated graphics won't hurt to use for just that one week (if that). And it will make you appreciate the new graphics card all the more.

There are entire weeks that go by, where I cannot even find the time to game or use my PC. 

This is first world problems and only adds fuel to the fire of why companies make their policies hell. 

10 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

There are entire weeks that go by, where I cannot even find the time to game or use my PC. 

This is first world problems and only adds fuel to the fire of why companies make their policies hell. 

this.

46 minutes ago, manikyath said:

so.. last time someone told me they couldnt live without <insert thing here> for a week i told them to go to rehab.

i shall do the same to you:

are you completely unable to not touch a pc game for a week? go to rehab. its not healthy to be addicted to your pc. i've seen people destroy their lives like this, and the lives of those around them.

you know what worries me most here? not the fact you're buying a gpu with the purpose of returning it. the fact my very rude and probably borderline on the community standards reply to you is getting agrees from people from all sides of this forum while you are too sucked up in your own little world to realise what a spoilt little brat you are.

i'm not old by any stretch of the imagination, but i wrote a 10 page research paper with pen and paper because my computer was acting up. suck it up, grow a pair, and grow up.

if you need a computer in that week, go to the frikkin library.

this too.

*qoutes some deep shit a smart guy once said*

this as well.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

I'm with the others, on not buying a temporary $250 GPU only to return it in a week.  (Except, I'm not as, idk how to say it, hard on returning things after trying them.  Sometimes I feel I *have* to buy something just to learn about it, then I decide I don't like it, and I return it.  I try to do it as little as possible though.)

When I bought my current desktop PC in January/February 2015 (2 stages - got it up & running in January, added a couple things in Feb), I was expecting to get like a GTX 970 after a few months when I saved up some more dough.  (I don't mean, saved up $330, but I mean saved up significantly more so that when I did buy the GPU I wasn't spending a significant part of my money.)

Well, sometime later, (forget exactly when), I was having issues with the integrated GPU's drivers crashing, even BSOD'ing now and then.  Because of various other things happening, I didn't yet have the $330 to spare on a 970, so I was looking at cheap solutions, like the GT 730, or even older used cards on ebay like a GTX 200 or 400 series card.  (I even considered the older 9000 or 8000 series.)

Somewhere in there (December 2015) I got a laptop, as a supplemental PC for taking on trips.  It has a GTX 970M (and a desktop LGA1151 CPU).

Also, rumors of the GeForce 10 series cards were heating up.  I decided to hold off on buying the 970, and at this point have essentially canceled it entirely.  (At least a 970.)

Now that the 1070 (my new target card) is out, I'm just waiting for the custom versions to be available, and a couple other factors that are affecting my decision.

In the meantime ... I've been gaming on the INTEGRATED GPU on my desktop's i7-4790K for the last almost year and a half.  No, I don't play Crysis 3, Witcher 3, Metro: Last Light, GTA V, the latest Tomb Raider, etc, but that's because I don't like dropping $50+ on a game.  The rare times I buy a game, $5-10 is my preferred price, and for something I really think I'll like and/or is on significant sale, like Descent:Underground and Rocket League, I'll do $15, and maybe $25 once in a very long while.

When I do end up getting a GPU, assuming I get a 1070, I plan to keep it quite a while.  I anticipate not replacing it until it either can't get more than 15 fps at low settings at 480p in then-$5 games (I remember playing Team Fortress Classic back in the day and being lucky to get 10-15fps at 320x240), a new same-priced card has like 10-25x better performance, or two 1070s in SLI running Ice Storm Unlimited get their butts kicked hard by a single AMD R3 series or Nvidia GeForce GT x10 series GPU, or then-equivalent <$30 GPU or APU, running FireStrike Ultra. :D