R9 280X or R9 390?

DingdongTP
Go to solution Solved by DingdongTP,
2 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Personally I wouldn't bet on it, we overseas always get screwed with prices of new cards. But, I would wait and see regardless, maybe the new cards would cause a drop in the used prices.

I think I will wait then, crossing my fingers for AMD to be the good guy here, maybe I can get the RX480 after all, let's see. Thanks for the advice!

I am looking for a graphics card for my computer, I play on 1080p and I really don't have that much money to spend on a card.

I was looking locally in classifieds for used card and I've come across an Gigabyte R9 280X 3GB for 190€. I've also found an Gigabyte R9 390 8GB for 269€.

The R9 280X costs 310€ new and the R9 390 costs 375€ new. Is any of these a good deal? Should I try a little harder to get the 390? Or is the 280X a better deal?

If you have other suggestions from my area (Portugal) please feel free to give them as well!

Can you live with integrated graphics for a few weeks? The RX480 will land in that price range and blow the pants off of both cards.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

I would recommend waiting for the RX 480 and the GTX 1070 to come out in your area, this would mean more people would sell their old cards to buy the new ones and because the supply has gotten higher in the used market the prices should drop.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

5 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Can you live with integrated graphics for a few weeks? The RX480 will land in that price range and blow the pants off of both cards.

He's got a GT 720... Integrated graphics wouldn't feel like much of a difference xD

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

I am trying to upgrade my current pc, failed to get that through, I currently have an GT 720 (yeah I am one of those guys who got baited when I knew less about computers ahah)
Do you think AMD will keep their promise here overseas? Nvidia didn't keep theirs. The GTX 1080 founder's edition costs 699$ in the US but is costs 799€ here....

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

He's got a GT 720... Integrated graphics wouldn't feel like much of a difference xD

Yeah you're right xD

4 minutes ago, OvrilPT said:

I am trying to upgrade my current pc, failed to get that through, I currently have an GT 720 (yeah I am one of those guys who got baited when I knew less about computers ahah)
Do you think AMD will keep their promise here overseas? Nvidia didn't keep theirs. The GTX 1080 founder's edition costs 699$ in the US but is costs 799€ here....

Personally I wouldn't bet on it, we overseas always get screwed with prices of new cards. But, I would wait and see regardless, maybe the new cards would cause a drop in the used prices.

Living with integrated graphics for 3-4 weeks isn't impossible (I'm trying to do this for 4-6 months!); just look around for older games like Skyrim, Call of Duty 4/World at War, Oblivion and the like.

Edit: By the way toss the 720 out for now, you are mostly better off with integrated graphics!

Pascal laptops guide

3 minutes ago, OvrilPT said:

still shouldn't cost more than the 390 no?

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

I think I will wait then, crossing my fingers for AMD to be the good guy here, maybe I can get the RX480 after all, let's see. Thanks for the advice!

4 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

still shouldn't cost more than the 390 no?

Don't know, honestly I wasn't expecting the GTX 1080 to cost almost 200$ more here in Portugal than in the US, so I don't expect anything now :/

1 minute ago, OvrilPT said:

Don't know, honestly I wasn't expecting the GTX 1080 to cost almost 200$ more here in Portugal than in the US, so I don't expect anything now :/

Well all of us in the UK are just hoping the 4GB version doesn't cost more than 200 quid...else we are really fucked :( 

8 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Edit: By the way toss the 720 out for now, you are mostly better off with integrated graphics!

Do you think my i5 4570 integrated graphics are better than this card?

4 minutes ago, OvrilPT said:

Probably (you can test it yourself and see how well it preforms).

Pascal laptops guide

8 minutes ago, Rodinski said:

Wait for the 480.  Definitely the next 8800GT! :D

I don't get it c:

12 minutes ago, OvrilPT said:

They are.

14 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well all of us in the UK are just hoping the 4GB version doesn't cost more than 200 quid...else we are really fucked :( 

If all exchanges well it should cost under £200. Compare the UK and US prices for the 380 c:

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

I don't get it c:

They are.

If all exchanges well it should cost under £200. Compare the UK and US prices for the 380 c:

The Nvidia 8800GT was a amazing card so many years ago.  It became so cheap that nearly every system had one or two.  It stayed on top for multiple years as the card of choice.  This 480 is going to be the same thing.

2 minutes ago, Rodinski said:

The Nvidia 8800GT was a amazing card so many years ago.  It became so cheap that nearly every system had one or two.  It stayed on top for multiple years as the card of choice.  This 480 is going to be the same thing.

As it's the perfect replacement to the 280/380 which remained the go to card for budgets like $400-600 :D 

32 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

It'd actually be better...considering the HD7600G inside this laptop's APU and the MRHD5650 (680MHz instead of 550MHz) beat the hell out of GT720, and both in turn get flogged by the iGPU inside my i5 4440 (which is in use inside my brother's desktop as my GTX 650ti OC 2GB is in the rig I loaned to my friend). That's with dual channel DDR3 1333 with the APU and i5, and dedicated dual channel DDR3 1600 with the MRHD5650 BTW.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

39 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

It'd actually be better...considering the HD7600G inside this laptop's APU and the MRHD5650 (680MHz instead of 550MHz) beat the hell out of GT720, and both in turn get flogged by the iGPU inside my i5 4440 (which is in use inside my brother's desktop as my GTX 650ti OC 2GB is in the rig I loaned to my friend). That's with dual channel DDR3 1333 with the APU and i5, and dedicated dual channel DDR3 1600 with the MRHD5650 BTW.

True, just removed the GT 720 and tested a few games and the fps counter really came up by an average of 10-15fps!

42 minutes ago, OvrilPT said:

True, just removed the GT 720 and tested a few games and the fps counter really came up by an average of 10-15fps!

Lol, yep. The GT720 really is just bad. I think its around the performance of second gen Intel HD graphics....which are a lot weaker than the 4th gen found in Haswell-especially your i5.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL