What to get? Vive, Printer, or 1080

so for the past few months i've been going back and fourth between a HTC Vive, a 3d printer, or a 1080 or maybe even sli

so ill give a bit of backstory i've wanted a vive for a bit but in all honestly i dont really have the room for it. Space is so cramped i ended up building my desk into a closet, so that should tell you about what im working with space wise, and i dont think that the games are going to take off anytime soon, they are expensive as all hell for the most part for what you get and they are really close to the same thing from what ive seen. almost looking like a reskin of the same game but a bit of a different spin on it.

Id like a 3d printer but im running into a few problems here as well. First being space so theres that, and also that i dont have any knowledge on 3d modeling or 3d printing in general. I dont see myself as a super creatitive guy and although i see some amazing things out there i dont really see a specific use for it for me other than just making random things for people and selling it or something.

Lastly is a 1080... or 2 since 1 will have little benefit over my 980ti... I really want sli but this is by far the more expensive option of the 3 so i dont know.  I dont really buy into all the hype honestly because this generation is just like the last few and only offering about 20 or so percent performance increase so its not really game breaking, though who knows. I also have a custom rigid loop in my rig so id have to get waterblocks and such as well., so in all honestly that will be about 2k and idk if i can justify that since i have a 980ti now. may just get another 980ti and water black and call it a day.

But anyway, could you guys give me any suggestions as to which one i should choose and possibly why

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

You could... SLI you 980 Ti instead? Since prices on them have plummeted, it's the cheapest option and a bigger performance gain than a single 1080.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I would beg the question of why you need any of those things? Why do you feel the need to spend money on them?

If you already have a 980 Ti, I would honestly either not buy a GPU at all, or wait until the "1080 Ti" comes out. I would also skip the 3D Printer, unless you are dedicated to learning how to 3D Model, or think you'll seriously use it a lot for DIY stuff (You can download a ton of 3D Printer-ready models from online).

As for the Vive? Why? If you have no space, skip the Vive, and get an Oculus Rift. They're coming out with better room tracking eventually (Not that you have the space for that), and their Touch Controller will be out soon, which will likely be very similar to the Vive's controllers. Many have said that the Rift feels like a more well rounded product, better finish and quality, more comfortable, and the integrated headphones are more convenient (Which you CAN take out if you want to use your own headphones).

https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/928280527287643

So if you're not going to use the Room Tracking features, then why even bother with the Vive?

EDIT: And if you fail to choose between the above options: Save your money, and drop it into a Tax Free High Interest Savings Account, or buy some Stocks (Nothing you can't afford to lose though), or buy some Invest Bonds from your bank.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I would beg the question of why you need any of those things? Why do you feel the need to spend money on them?

If you already have a 980 Ti, I would honestly either not buy a GPU at all, or wait until the "1080 Ti" comes out. I would also skip the 3D Printer, unless you are dedicated to learning how to 3D Model, or think you'll seriously use it a lot for DIY stuff (You can download a ton of 3D Printer-ready models from online).

As for the Vive? Why? If you have no space, skip the Vive, and get an Oculus Rift. They're coming out with better room tracking eventually (Not that you have the space for that), and their Touch Controller will be out soon, which will likely be very similar to the Vive's controllers. Many have said that the Rift feels like a more well rounded product, better finish and quality, more comfortable, and the integrated headphones are more convenient (Which you CAN take out if you want to use your own headphones).

So if you're not going to use the Room Tracking features, then why even bother with the Vive?

I honestly don't know a single person that has said the Rift feels like a more well rounded product.  Almost everyone praises the Vive for being a superior product (besides the straps).

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Just now, JefferyD90 said:

I honestly don't know a single person that has said the Rift feels like a more well rounded product.  Almost everyone praises the Vive for being a superior product (besides the straps).

EVERY single praise I've seen about the Vive being "better" strictly revolves around:

1. Room Tracking/Whole Room Experience

2. Touch Controllers

The Rift is getting both of those things (Will they be exact equivalent? We won't know until reviewers test and compare). The FOV is higher on the Vive, but since the resolution is the same, it actually makes text look worse and harder to read, as the DPI is tighter on the Rift.

While not true of everyone, I think a lot of people in the tech sphere are letting "AHH FACEBOOK FUCK YOU!" influence their feelings on the two headsets. When I see more rational looks at the products, most of the praise inevitably seems to fall back to the two points I listed above.

The Camera is also an interesting feature, but most people seem to feel like it's very disorienting, and not terribly useful, especially outside of Whole Room Experience (Which is irrelevant to the OP since he doesn't have the space for that).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3D printer is fun but I think you can have a lot more fun with a Vive. And you have a 980 Ti so that's definitely enough power to run it smoothly.

1. Not the Vive because you have no space

2. Not the 3D printer since you don't know CAD, and generally have no use

3. Not the 1080 since you already have a 980ti.

The way I see it, here are you options:

1. Buy another 980ti, and SLI with the one you already have, for some insane performance
  2. Get the Occulus Rift over the Vive
  3. Get something else. Perhaps some better peripherals, like a better mouse, keyboard, another monitor, or something else. Unless you really have $1000 burning a whole in your pocket, there is no reason to spend it now

May Our Framerates Be High And Our Temperatures Be Low.

PSUs: EVGA B2/G2/GQ/GS, Corsair RMx/i, Grey-Label CXM, Everything Seasonic/Delta/Super Flower, XFX except XT

Use pcpartpicker.com

15 minutes ago, WEEEEEE said:

1. Not the Vive because you have no space

2. Not the 3D printer since you don't know CAD, and generally have no use

3. Not the 1080 since you already have a 980ti.

The way I see it, here are you options:

1. Buy another 980ti, and SLI with the one you already have, for some insane performance
  2. Get the Occulus Rift over the Vive
  3. Get something else. Perhaps some better peripherals, like a better mouse, keyboard, another monitor, or something else. Unless you really have $1000 burning a whole in your pocket, there is no reason to spend it now

well you do bring up some good points along with other guys that have posted, i have thought about getting another 980ti and block. probably be cheaper other options but heres also where im at with the rift vs the vive thing. theres only like $100-200 difference but the vive has the whole room technology over the rift at least for now so spending $100ish on something that has more features isnt out of the question, even if im not going to be using it. I eventually may move to a bigger place and then have a need for it, just atm i dont, but for only $100 that may be worth.

I also thing my peripherals are more than good enough for now. I have 3 1440p monitors with a 40inch 1080p tv up top, which is another thing i forgot to bring up. My 980ti only supports 4 monitors so to get a vive or even occulus and not have to disconnect monitors each time may be a problem. I also have a Logitech g710+ and a g502 mouse which are good imo, may just have to get another 980ti for now and go from there.

A 3d printer does sorta interest me tho, i have some ideas id like to do but in all honestly i dont think i can motivate myself to learn 3d modeling and all there is some things id like to make but nothing that could make a 1k printer worth it

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

Looking at your specs and the other parts you've mentioned, I'm guessing you must live by yourself, therefore you can probably do whatever you want and buy whatever you like even if you don't need it. Well a advice for you is to... Learn to control your spending habits! Don't see the need for it, then don't buy it! Save up and use that money you saved when you really need it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Printer or vive, printer if u think u would enjoy it. Your 980ti should have enough performance for you for at least a couple more years. 

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

EDIT: And if you fail to choose between the above options: Save your money, and drop it into a Tax Free High Interest Savings Account, or buy some Stocks (Nothing you can't afford to lose though), or buy some Invest Bonds from your bank.

Go with what this person has said.

9 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Looking at your specs and the other parts you've mentioned, I'm guessing you must live by yourself, therefore you can probably do whatever you want and buy whatever you like even if you don't need it. Well a advice for you is to... Learn to control your spending habits! Don't see the need for it, then don't buy it! Save up and use that money you saved when you really need it.

I hate when people assume things. does one actually need anything outside of food, water and a few other things like shelter. I never spend my money without thinking about it everything i spend is extra money outside of my bills and saving. Ive got bonds and a few stocks as well as a savings account that hasnt been withdrawn from in years. So to say i need to control my spending is stupid and inaccurate because in reality i do and manage my money well. My system is something i saved for and bought with money that was left over from paying my bills along with putting money into savings. I also dont pay my bills monthly. I pay my bills months in advance by placing that money on the side and gathering all of that before even buying anything. I make sure i have my needs met and then some before buying anything. So maybe dont lecture people about saving unless you know exactly what they are doing. Though if you were in the anime club youd have seen exactly how much ive been saving..... dont just assume anyone has horrible spending habbits without looking into it farther.

1 hour ago, That_Random_Guy said:

Snip

Great excuse for wasting your savings on something you don't really need. Can't decide to get out of those 3 items, then get all of them or none of it. And while you're at it, why not get the rift and the gear vr. You'll eventually find some use for it. And you bought your rig with your own money. Well, so did I.  

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list