AMD Hints that rx 480 has gtx 980/r9 nano Level Performance

DocSwag
26 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

An Asian site, Chiphell, leaked benchmarks of the RX 480. When underclocked to 1080MHz, it beat the 980, and at 1266 it scored 3500, placing it right under the Fury.

Here's the reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4noslj/rx480_leaksrumors_timeline_megathread/

The YouTube Video w/ "proof": 

Screenshot of settings

Reveal hidden contents

JRtcM56.jpg

More video note-worthiness (shows the system specs after testing)

Comparitive chart with the 480 at 1080 MHz.

In the last BIOS and driver video he get Valid 3DMark.. i wonder what driver he used.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 hour ago, Rodinski said:

What's with the "VR" talk?  Isn't it no different in rendering than any other way?

ya it's similar to normal high resolution rendering. Framerate drops are more noticeable though and can sometimes induce nausea. But rendering is similar, if the GPU is powerful it will be good at both. Most of the rendering differences are at the game engine level not at the GPU hardware level. It's just that both HTC vive and Oculus Rift have mentioned R9 290 / GTX 970 and up as the recommended spec. With VR currently being a hot topic in the news AMD can market the new polaris architecture by claiming to surpass the last gen VR-ready spec for only $200. Even if many buyers have no intention of purchasing an HMD it's good marketing as it demonstrates affordable performance of the new architecture. It's much better than trying to compare it to a GTX 1080 since that is irrelevant in the target market. E.g. Nobody who bought an R9 285 cares how the GTX 980 performed as it's irrelevant and out of budget. I think the crossfire AOTS benchmark was stupid, they could have just compared single GPU performance with current gen cards like GTX960 and R9 380 to show the performance jump. They don't need to talk about beating GTX 1080 until they launch vega.

On 6/10/2016 at 0:13 PM, Enderman said:

i have literally no idea what he means by " incorporated DX12 support only to  their engine midway during development and aren't using the API like AotS is."

like, what the heck, if they're using DX12 for the engine that means its using the DX12 API...

xD

AOTS is just biased to AMD, like heaven is biased to nvidia

No AOTS is the only Dx12 gamestop the ground up the rest are ported dx11 titles running on Dx12. Only 1 Dx12 titles pairs a  Nvidia and Amd card together for a reason.

1 minute ago, Jahramika said:

No AOTS is the only Dx12 gamestop the ground up the rest are ported dx11 titles running on Dx12. Only 1 Dx12 titles pairs a  Nvidia and Amd card together for a reason.

Supporting explicit multiadapter isn't a requirement for a ground-up DX12 title. Mostly will probably use implicit because it's easier and it off-loads the work to the driver like it is with previous APIs.

12 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Supporting explicit multiadapter isn't a requirement for a ground-up DX12 title. Mostly will probably use implicit because it's easier and it off-loads the work to the driver like it is with previous APIs.

Okay if you say so. If another current Dx12 was capable of achieving it then it would be know. Their are northern for good obvious reason. If the game is not coded correctly from the start it will not have access to all of the Dx12 functions, like a dx11 port.

25 minutes ago, Jahramika said:

http://wccftech.com/hitman-feature-implementation-dx12-async-compute-amd/

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

12 minutes ago, Jahramika said:

Okay if you say so. If another current Dx12 was capable of achieving it then it would be know. Their are northern for good obvious reason. If the game is not coded correctly from the start it will not have access to all of the Dx12 functions, like a dx11 port.

The whole multiadapter thing requires a lot of work. Most developers will avoid it, I'm sure. The explicit modes (linked and unlinked) will give developers the most control and open up new possibilities of combinations and performance but implicit is easier, so we all know what that means.

So if explicit mode is the requirement for a DX12 title, then we probably won't see many. And some will probably not use any multiadapter mode at all because while implicit is easier, it still requires work, so not all developers will be up to the task. Just like today where many DX11 titles don't support SLI/Crossfire.

DX12 gives developers tons of possibilities and new stuff to play with but at least 50% won't have the skill or time to use everything DX12 have to offer and use it well.

18 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

How much does 3DMark benefit from async? I'd like to know the Rx 480's straight DX11 performance.

At the moment, no benefit. It's based on DX11.

2 hours ago, Jahramika said:

Another one who thinks DX12 = Async. There's a difference between minimum required functionality and feature sets. mGPU and Async are optional features and not a requirement for DX12.

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

9 hours ago, GidonsClaw said:

At the moment, no benefit. It's based on DX11.

Another one who thinks DX12 = Async. There's a difference between minimum required functionality and feature sets. mGPU and Async are optional features and not a requirement for DX12.

You can go bury your head in the sand all you want. You people would not be saying this if Nvidia had better async compute performance. PC gamers were waiting for dx 12 for a long time because it would help with the inefficiencies of all the previous APIs we've had, and asynchronous compute is the main driving factor for that. If you know another dx 12 functionality that does that please let us know. Since the company of choice of so many fanboys sucks at said functionality, they now turn to downplaying. When Maxwell came out, power consumption now suddenly became the most important thing and the amount of stupid things we've been hearing in regards to power consumption has been fucking amazing. That's apparently how it works: whatever Nvidia is good at suddenly becomes the most important thing, regardless of the fact that their "efficiency" comes from not having the extra hardware on their chips needed for things like asynchronous compute.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

8 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

whatever Nvidia is good at suddenly becomes the most important thing

This has been the case since the Fermi revision days, and sadly will not go away until AMD steps up their game.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

1 minute ago, Jahramika said:

Does not do what AotS can do

yeah, and what it can do is use a huge amount of resources to cripple nvidia performance

which regular triple A games do not do since they dont need to have thousands of AIs running at the same time

and no, makes no difference if its DX11 port or not, it still coded for DX12 and utilizes DX12 featuers

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2016 at 6:55 AM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

It sounds like BS. If it really performed at the level of the Nano why did we get no single card benchmarks at Computex? Why no benchmarks still on the day of the 1070's launch? R9 Nano performance for $200 would make a ton of people reconsider their desire to buy a 1070 at launch.

4 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Well it was wrong bro I guess...

Then again, basically every rx 480 rumor was wrong xD. They were all like saying "GTX 980 performance and it can overclock to over 1.5 ghz!" Instead it's 970 performance that barely ocs to 1.4 ghz

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

5 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Well it was wrong bro I guess...

Then again, basically every rx 480 rumor was wrong xD. They were all like saying "GTX 980 performance and it can overclock to over 1.5 ghz!" Instead it's 970 performance that barely ocs to 1.4 ghz

With a reference card...

1 minute ago, khothmod said:

With a reference card...

True. I guess....

Stilll though. I'm not expecting it to hit 1.6 ghz, which some sites said it would hit *cough* wccftech *cough*

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

True. I guess....

Stilll though. I'm not expecting it to hit 1.6 ghz, which some sites said it would hit *cough* wccftech *cough*

It looks like it's stuck behind power limits, and an 8-pin connector from an after-market card will probably fix that.

From the sounds of it, the reviewer cards were a bit messed up, with huge power draw issue, and some people are pointing to it being something to do with how the reviewers could freely switch between 4GB and 8GB.

7 minutes ago, awesomeness10120 said:

I'm just glad it's decent for the money.

Unless the 1060 is better for the same price, the 480 is perfect for my budget. It has more features than the R9 390 and GTX 970, which is really the only reason to consider it.

I used to be quite active here.

5 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

Unless the 1060 is better for the same price, the 480 is perfect for my budget. It has more features than the R9 390 and GTX 970, which is really the only reason to consider it.

Not to mention that it probably has a lot of performance that can be unlocked through better drivers which would put it right on par with a 390 in the future.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

Knowing Nvidia, the 1060 will probably be more expensive than the RX 480. :(

17 minutes ago, khothmod said:

It looks like it's stuck behind power limits, and an 8-pin connector from an after-market card will probably fix that.

From the sounds of it, the reviewer cards were a bit messed up, with huge power draw issue, and some people are pointing to it being something to do with how the reviewers could freely switch between 4GB and 8GB.

I doubt it.  The thermals go too far out of control with minor OC'ing, no cooler is going to be good enough to rein it in and get more than a superficial perf boost.  Still, would be nice to drop the stock operating temps down a bit more.

As for if it has anything to do with the reviewers cards and their bios, we've no way to know; and that's just reaching for hopes. 

Still an awesome card IMO, particularly if one is expecting to upgrade their monitor quite a bit later to a beefier resolution.

1080p tits completely out ready to rock everything

1440 kill some/most filters and carry on,

4k do the setting dancing we've all done for years and years to make shite work/fumble

1 minute ago, awesomeness10120 said:

Knowing Nvidia, the 1060 will probably be more expensive than the RX 480. :(

Well duh. But, if it's close in price and performs better, I might consider it.

I used to be quite active here.

Lol why is this 3 week old thread suddenly alive again xD 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler