AMD Hints that rx 480 has gtx 980/r9 nano Level Performance

DocSwag

I don't have a website source for this.... However, I did get an email from AMD regarding the stuff they talked about at Computex. And this was one part of that email:

AMD announces the world’s most affordable solution for premium PC VR experiences - Radeon™ RX 480 starting at just $199

Watch the Recording

The Radeon™ RX Series will deliver the world’s most affordable solution for premium PC VR experiences, including a model that is both HTC Vive™-Ready and Oculus™ Rift™ compatible.

Available on June 29th at a stunning starting price of just $199, the Radeon™ RX 480 will deliver VR capability common in $500 GPUs.

For more information on Polaris architecture-based Radeon™ RX Series graphics cards available later this month, visit AMD.com to sign-up for Notify Me.

Or if you want the original without formatting removed:

AMD announces the world’s most affordable solution for premium PC VR experiences - Radeon™ RX 480 starting at just $199

Watch the Recording

The Radeon™ RX Series will deliver the world’s most affordable solution for premium PC VR experiences, including a model that is both HTC Vive™-Ready and Oculus™ Rift™ compatible.

Available on June 29th at a stunning starting price of just $199, the Radeon™ RX 480 will deliver VR capability common in $500 GPUs.

For more information on Polaris architecture-based Radeon™ RX Series graphics cards available later this month, visit AMD.com to sign-up for Notify Me.

The most interesting part that I saw was this:

Yup, that says that the rx 480 will deliver VR capability common in 500 dollar GPUs. what are the current 500 dollar GPUs? The gtx 980 and the r9 nano. Of course, this could possibly be an exaggeration, since AMD could have either used Ashes of the Singularity for their results (and in ashes the 980 performs a little lower than the r9 390) or perhaps Polaris has some extra VR features that make it a lot more powerful in VR (like the 1080). However, I doubt that they did it with Ashes, since then Polaris would be lower than the 390 in performance and we are all pretty sure the 480 is better than the 390. This means that either the 480 is about as powerful as the nano or it is very good at VR, both of which are good for us. I personally doubt it will reach all the way up to the nano, but if it is between the 390x and the nano (so around the 980) that would be great! I'm hoping the 480 does turn out to be around the 390x or even a little more powerful than that. That could perhaps even give the 1070 a little competition, as dual 480s would be just a little more than the 1070 and if a 480 is around a 390x it would very likely perform considerably better.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

This...... isn't "news".

People have been talking about this since the press conference....

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

AMD is like "ayy GPU market, let me fuck yo shit up fam"

and I like how you said "Or if you want the original without formatting removed:", while both pictures still had the formatting on it :P (aka, white background on dark theme)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

until they show a benchmark with something other than AOTS there is no way of really knowing how well it performs in regular games

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It may be optimized for VR, making it as powerful in that use case as a gtx 980 or r9 nano, but can it stand up against those $500 GPUs for regular gaming? IMO, probably not, but we shall see... If it does, then AMD will have accomplished something pretty great.

CPU - Intel i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 (Rev 2.0) | RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8) DDR3-1866 | Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 980ti SC | Case - Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) | PSU - EVGA 750W B2 | Display - Acer K272HUL | Keyboard - E-Element RGB | Mouse - Logitech g502 | Sound - Klipsch ProMedia 2.1/Fostex TH-x00/Sennheiser HD595

9 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Gunning for reviews on this one myself in a big way.  It's the only GPU I'm actually willing to get.

AMD...I've a message for you in this regard.

Is that from the Jesus of Suburbia Music Video? Also, please, AMD. I want to believe and will probably get a 470 when it comes out either way, but still please AMD.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

3 hours ago, DevilishBooster said:

This...... isn't "news".

People have been talking about this since the press conference....

2 hours ago, ONOTech said:

This has been known for a while.

I'd rather not take what they say wholeheartedly though. They also released benchmarks showcasing the Fury X allegedly beating the 980 Ti a few days before release. Wasn't the case when the card dropped. 

Just wait for benchmarks as all.

Really? I personally didn't hear them give any real hints as to to what a single 480's performance is like, but I could be wrong (correct me if wrong). As far as I know, this is the first hint amd has given as to the approximate single card performance of the 480

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

3 hours ago, raphidy said:

It`s always VR, VR,with RX480, yet, they benched aots.

I could be mistaken, but it could be because the GTX 1080 would have destroyed the RX 480 since it has all of those VR optimizations.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

12 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

Yeah, it was stated here: http://www.wsj.com/articles/amd-prices-3-d-cards-to-spur-virtual-reality-market-1464725394

"AMD said its new Radeon RX cards, certified for use in VR by HTC and Oculus VR, deliver performance equivalent to that of $500 graphics cards used for VR."

I guess they 'officially made it official' it then. Lol. I'll hold them to it.

Ah. I couldn't have seen it either since I'm not subscribed to WSJ :P 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

9 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Let's be honest that's the whole bloody forum.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I like AMD but remember, they only showed DX12 benchmark (as far as I know)

10 hours ago, Enderman said:

until they show a benchmark with something other than AOTS there is no way of really knowing how well it performs in regular games

AotS is the only relevant example of DX12, the only game you could infer future performance tiering from in the current market since it's the only game natively developed for DX12. All other "DX12" games incorporated DX12 support only to  their engine midway during development and aren't using the API like AotS is.

So your enitre statement is ridiculous. Why should they show benchmarks of DX11 games, which are about to seize to matter anyway?

AMD has been more prepared for DX12 than Nvidia is even as far back as 7950/7970, that's their biggest strength and it does make sense to use it for all it's worth.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

30 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

AotS is the only relevant example of DX12, the only game you could infer future performance tiering from in the current market since it's the only game natively developed for DX12. All other "DX12" games incorporated DX12 support only to  their engine midway during development and aren't using the API like AotS is.

So your enitre statement is ridiculous. Why should they show benchmarks of DX11 games, which are about to seize to matter anyway?

AMD has been more prepared for DX12 than Nvidia is even as far back as 7950/7970, that's their biggest strength and it does make sense to use it for all it's worth.

he has to bring up DX11, because that is the only place where nvidia is unquestionably doing better on the top end.

34 minutes ago, Prysin said:

he has to bring up DX11, because that is the only place where nvidia is unquestionably doing better on the top end.

Yeah but who cares about something that is going obsolete?

If your product is better for the future but worse for the past, why should YOU want to focus YOUR marketing on the past? Makes zero sense.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

And we should as consumers focus on what gets us better performance for our money.

Directx 12 and Vulkan is far superior, and we should be worried of the possibility that Nvidia might not be directly supporting the changes that comes with these new API's. 

CPU: 6700k 4.6Ghz GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X MB: MSI Gaming M5 PSU: Evga 750 G2 Case: Phanteks EVOLV 

50 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Yeah but who cares about something that is going obsolete?

If your product is better for the future but worse for the past, why should YOU want to focus YOUR marketing on the past? Makes zero sense.

Cuz he has to "make nvidia great again"

5 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Cuz he has to "make nvidia great again"

Im dead, he just said that.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

14 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Yup, that says that the rx 480 will deliver VR capability common in 500 dollar GPUs. what are the current 500 dollar GPUs? The gtx 980 and the r9 nano.

You seem to have forgotten about the R9 Fury, which also costs $500.

I mean, if they say $200 dollar VR, it kinda has to be as good as an R9 Nano doesn't it? That'd be false advertisement.

Spoiler

But the card is slower than my 290x in AOTS 1440p Extreme and it only cost $250 over a year ago.

b7fdfb4da9dec621451591bcf6362663.png

2123a50f78172ea9dd2f787d1b8965b9.png

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

24 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

But the card is slower than my 290x in AOTS 1440p Extreme and it only cost $250 over a year ago.

b7fdfb4da9dec621451591bcf6362663.png

2123a50f78172ea9dd2f787d1b8965b9.png

Perhaps, but we're talking early drivers, we're talking cheaper, we're talking much lower power consumption.

29 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Doesn't show what clocks it's running, plus driver optimization might not be finalized.