LG G5 Review

Lol that title.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

6 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Lol that title.

I guess LG didn't pay enough for a positive review 

/s xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

17 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I guess LG didn't pay enough for a positive review 

/s xD 

The sad part of that joke is that now some people will be commenting and tweeting "OMG are you paid for your other reviews!?!?! Sellout!!"

EDIT: Just to clarify, we don't accept payment for reviews, in case anyone is actually wondering that... Any paid piece on the channel is marked as "Sponsored" within the video & description and will NOT be labeled as a review.

1 minute ago, nicklmg said:

The sad part of that joke is that now some people will be commenting and tweeting "OMG are you paid for your other reviews!?!?! Sellout!!"

Who are we kidding, those people were already doing that :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

HTC 10 anytime soon? 

Only phone I might want to upgrade to from my Xperia Z3. (Cannot get the Xperia X because it is not sold by T-Mobile)

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

1 minute ago, connorpiper said:

HTC 10 anytime soon? 

Only phone I might want to upgrade to from my Xperia Z3. (Cannot get the Xperia X because it is not sold my T-Mobile)

Yep! Coming soon :) 

1 minute ago, nicklmg said:

Yay. I really want to see how much they messed with Android. I have been spoiled with Sony's very light skin, and don't want something that is really intrusive.

MobileTechReview did a good overview of the software, but I want to know more about removing everything HTC has added. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

The Linus figure and the numerous amount of socks weren't enough to buy win Linus's heart. lol

G5 is a disappointment. The modular thing was not thought out properly.  There are reports of bad fit and finish on some phones where there could be a tiny gap between the module and the rest of the phone. You can even see it in Linus' video at 8:45 mark.

8 minutes ago, pk-man said:

The Linus figure and the numerous amount of socks weren't enough to buy win Linus's heart. lol

G5 is a disappointment. The modular thing was not thought out properly.  There are reports of bad fit and finish on some phones where there could be a tiny gap between the module and the rest of the phone. You can even see it in Linus' video at 8:45 mark.

I think we have a long history of showing that, no matter the relationship to the company, we're willing to appreciate a good product and destroy a bad one.

The funny thing is, the G5 isn't even that bad. It's just not NEARLY as good as its current competition, and tries to make up for it with an unfortunate gimmick :(

I'm sure that modular phones are coming in one way or another - they're just not ready for the spotlight quite yet.

I was surprised he did not mention the dual camera. I heard that it can actually be pretty helpful. Also I thought the low light performance was supposed to be good. Also does he know that it automatically uses the lower quality wide angle lens by default and switches to the primary if you zoom any. Unless he specifically switched it might have been the wide angle lens, making the lower quality image. My G4 does a really good job with its camera. The only issue I have with my G4 camera is for some reason it will make the white balance extremely hot, but if I look away from the subject and back it would be fixed. Also it is weird how LG would cut the awesome Manuel video control we saw on the V10. Both the G4 and G5 have a somewhat low bit rate for 4k, but the V10 would let you change it. Samsung has improved its low light abilities this year, but the G5 is by no means mediocre. I also wish LG  just include everything in the phone instead of making you buy the friends. The V10 had a great DAC built in, but the DAC add in is not even availiable in North America. Really if the friends would make the phone truly modular (like say replace the camera or CPU, then it would be revolutionary. Right now they seem to be more of a gimmick.

9 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

I think we have a long history of showing that, no matter the relationship to the company, we're willing to appreciate a good product and destroy a bad one.

The funny thing is, the G5 isn't even that bad. It's just not NEARLY as good as its current competition, and tries to make up for it with an unfortunate gimmick :(

I'm sure that modular phones are coming in one way or another - they're just not ready for the spotlight quite yet.

Darn, you posted that while I was in the middle of writing my own post about how the friends were a gimmick.

I see the modules more as a concept that made it out too fast, not as something that 90%+ of people owning the G5 will use. Also the price for the modules. Jesus. I like the B&O one and it'll probably be the phone with best sound with HTC 10, with good head/earphones, but my good it's expensive. Still, kudos to them for at least trying something different. 

I'm pretty sure that on G6 we will get the fingerprint sensor on the front, or better to say under the front of the screen since LG announced it recently. Can't wait for that. Don't like this current solution and will agree with Linus here. Still hate that the volume buttons are not on the back. Still the best LG feature to date. 

As for the "Folder renaming", it's been like that since the G2, don't see an issue with that. o.O If it was the other way around and it immediately wanted you to rename people would surely complain about that.

And the last thing I would like to point out is the camera. According to this test from PhoneArena I read a while ago, surprisingly, the G5 and HTC 10 have the best low light performance. Obviously, there are many test that will say that the S7 or 6S have, but I found this one to be quite good, at least for using it for your personal comparison. Was surprised at the picture Linus showed since it's completely opposite from every picture showed in the test (it looks like it was taken with wide-angle secondary camera and then zoomed in, and no, I'm not implying he did it, it's just my observation). Also not a single mention of the wide-angle rear camera? It's their second most hyped feature after the modules.

Well, one more year of G2 for me, hopefully the G6 will be a jackpot. I wouldn't say that the G5 is a TRUE disappointment, they did many things more than right, but It could've been much better. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I think what Linus really needs is to check out the Sony Z3+. I don't know what you guys  know abot the phone. But it was in a real weird place, because they made alot of marketing mistakes. And because of that you can get this phone for 300$ and at that price there is no better phone out there. It jas everything linus wants.

I pre-ordered it and don't hate it. But I regret it now. The Wide angle camera is great though. 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

There are benefits to not using OLED.

less less of a chance of burn in.  I took the pictures below about a week after the Galaxy S7 demo units arrived at the store.

wblAO8V.jpg

C0FvaLk.jpg

OLED suffers from burn in far more quickly than IPS http://www.alphr.com/realworld/386635/are-amoled-displays-at-risk-of-burn-in

This is especially an issue if you want to keep your phone for more than a year or so, or if you are the type that passes your old smart phone onto a family member after you upgrade (many people do this).

To better show this issue, if you have an AMOLED display phone, try displaying a 50% gray image, and have it fill the screen, and tell me if you have any burn in (random 50% gray fill image: https://i.imgur.com/BFH6RR0.png

3 minutes ago, Razor512 said:

There are benefits to not using OLED.

less less of a chance of burn in.  I took the pictures below about a week after the Galaxy S7 demo units arrived at the store.

Spoiler

wblAO8V.jpg

Spoiler

C0FvaLk.jpg

OLED suffers from burn in far more quickly than IPS http://www.alphr.com/realworld/386635/are-amoled-displays-at-risk-of-burn-in

This is especially an issue if you want to keep your phone for more than a year or so, or if you are the type that passes your old smart phone onto a family member after you upgrade (many people do this).

So retail stores protect they phone with zip ties...

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Pretty much, they zip tie them to one of those blocks with a steel wire attached to it.

I get a 90s vibe by seeing that Add-on camera thing and exchangeable batteries lol... That sort of thing  just does not work.

People complaining in the comments "but Linus, it's so durable". Not if you can disconnect the battery with some squeeze movement (3 guesses what probably will break down the fastest on the phone) and it's not waterproof.

I do disagree on your comment about a fingerprint reader on the back. I'm using a nexus 6P since January, which has that same thing. You just need to stop being that user that rests the phone on the table when doing stuff. I'm pressing the power button to wake the screen, you double -tap , but if you need to do something with the notifications, you need the phone in your hand anyway. A fingerprint reader on the front just looks so dumb to use compared to this.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

2 hours ago, Kherm said:

I pre-ordered it and don't hate it. But I regret it now. The Wide angle camera is great though. 

You should try it for yourself and see if you like it. Don't base your opinion on someone else's experience. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

11 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Are You Guys Going To Review The OnePlus Three When It Releases?

11 hours ago, connorpiper said:

Yay. I really want to see how much they messed with Android. I have been spoiled with Sony's very light skin, and don't want something that is really intrusive.

MobileTechReview did a good overview of the software, but I want to know more about removing everything HTC has added. 

I'll let you know how the Android skin, just waiting on Sprint to give me my HTC 10 *yells* SPRINT!

Edited by GamerCentral
Fuck up

System Specs

Windows 10 Home x64 AMD A10-7850k APU ASUS Strix R7 370 Overclock Edition 2GB | Corsair CX500M ASrock FM2A88M-HD+ G.Skill Ares 2x4GB

Accessories

Corsair K70 RGB | Razer Deathadder 2013 Razer Kraken PRO