AMD Zen CPUs will have PGA mounting systems

kameshss
1 hour ago, ZeusXI said:

What if....that processor they show in the pictures, is what the Zen is now, for testing and other stuff, and then upon release, they change it over to LGA and blow everyones minds?

Highly unlikely. It would be bad for marketing, because the "backlash" as it were for not using LGA is already here. Granted, it's a stupid difference between the two, and is totally meaningless, so the fact that switching to LGA would blow anyone's mind is completely absurd to begin with - but alas, somehow people still make it a negative.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 hours ago, DevilishBooster said:

There may be no significant advantage to PGA, but there is also no intrinsic disadvantage to it either, so that argument is invalid.

Asked and answered: conceding this it still means that however small, you but the more fragile and valuable product, the cpu,  at risk. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

20 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

It's not overpriced if it sells -Microeconomics. Xeons do not overclock for a reason: guaranteed condition and stability. Enthusiast chips do for a reason: enthusiasts like to tinker. That difference in qualities is worth it for some consumers. Get over it. No one person determines if products are overpriced or not. The market as a whole does.

Actually, I think if this product sells it has more to do with consumer ignorance than any perceived overclocking value. No one should be touching this for overclocking reasons, they should go for the 6700k for overclocking. It's better at it. "Get over it" as if you've said anything profound. Intel themselves have objectively better products for the same money, therefore it's overpriced. Again, likely deliberately so to discourage sales of this purely mascot product.

19 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Your forgetting key facts: Xeons are meant for 24/7 use and therefore reliability+efficiency+low temps. The X*9 platform i7 however are designed to be overclocked+run at higher stock clocks meaning that they are perfect for use outside of servers as they don't have the limitations of the server chips-which is why people buy them and they exist in the first place.

Just because I don't acknowledge the value of a point (because it has none, for the reason that I have already addressed) doesn't mean that I have forgetting about it. It's just wasn't worth pointing out because it's irrelevant. Sure, people are perfectly entitled to think that the ability to overclock is worth almost doubling the price, but they're idiots for doing so and their opinion is therefore not worth validating.

On 8.6.2016 at 0:40 PM, cayphed said:

I really wish they'd move on with the times...

Yeeaaah... One mistake when installing the CPU and you may have to buy a new one...

2 hours ago, othertomperson said:

Actually, I think if this product sells it has more to do with consumer ignorance than any perceived overclocking value. No one should be touching this for overclocking reasons, they should go for the 6700k for overclocking. It's better at it. "Get over it" as if you've said anything profound. Intel themselves have objectively better products for the same money, therefore it's overpriced. Again, likely deliberately so to discourage sales of this purely mascot product.

Just because I don't acknowledge the value of a point (because it has none, for the reason that I have already addressed) doesn't mean that I have forgetting about it. It's just wasn't worth pointing out because it's irrelevant. Sure, people are perfectly entitled to think that the ability to overclock is worth almost doubling the price, but they're idiots for doing so and their opinion is therefore not worth validating.

Double the price? The X99 i7 are cheaper than the Xeons........

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 hours ago, Markus said:

Yeeaaah... One mistake when installing the CPU and you may have to buy a new one...

Think about it this way, most of AMD's AM3+ CPU are actually cheaper than the cost of a good motherboard.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

Double the price? The X99 i7 are cheaper than the Xeons........

Well technically (I think) the 6950x is more expensive than ten core Xeons :P, but I think for all the rest the i7s are a a lot cheaper.

I just searched it up, and it blew my mind away when I saw the new Broadwell E Xeons' price.... A 6 core 12 thread CPU for 1500 dollars?!? Holy balls.....

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

6 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Well technically (I think) the 6950x is more expensive than ten core Xeons :P, but I think for all the rest the i7s are a a lot cheaper.

I just searched it up, and it blew my mind away when I saw the new Broadwell E Xeons' price.... A 6 core 12 thread CPU for 1500 dollars?!? Holy balls.....

The 6950x is the same price as the 14 core, 28 thread e5 2680v4.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

13 hours ago, Fetzie said:

The 6950x is the same price as the 14 core, 28 thread e5 2680v4.

It is precisely the 10-core I am talking about. All of the other Extreme Platforms make total sense to me, and they always have. The 10-core though just doesn't have the value that the 8 cores and below have. It would be like if Nvidia made the Titans (as in the real gaming + workstation Titans, not the gaming only Titan X) more expensive than the equivalent Quadros.

On 08/06/2016 at 5:52 PM, i_build_nanosuits said:

Can someone with a 4K monitor count how many pins please?! :P

07180017243l.jpg

Rough estimate is 1450 pins, i got a bit lost as the image is washed out and blurry, but i counted almost 40 pins down one side, if we go by that the chip is perfectly square, 40x40 calculation, that's 1600 pins, but there are some missing so i guestimated 1450, 1331 might be accurate from the leaks.

let us all remember now and today, computers do not like abuse, they will fight back!

Old Skool KILLBOX. XEON E5640 4.0ghz / ASUS P6X58D-E ~ Noctua NH-L12 ~ eVGA GTX 670 SC 2GB 1312/7000 ~ 4TB 7200 RPM RAID0 ~ CoolerMaster Haf 922 ~ DELL P214H 23" 1080 IPS 2ms ~ HP w2007v 1680x1050. Now Playing: Splinter Cell OG XBOX / CSGO PC

Original XBOX - Xecuter 2 4981.67 Bios. Playstation 2 Slim SCPH-70002. Sega Dreamcast. N64

Now the real question is, will it run on my 890fx?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

5 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Now the real question is, will it run on my 890fx?

x58?

let us all remember now and today, computers do not like abuse, they will fight back!

Old Skool KILLBOX. XEON E5640 4.0ghz / ASUS P6X58D-E ~ Noctua NH-L12 ~ eVGA GTX 670 SC 2GB 1312/7000 ~ 4TB 7200 RPM RAID0 ~ CoolerMaster Haf 922 ~ DELL P214H 23" 1080 IPS 2ms ~ HP w2007v 1680x1050. Now Playing: Splinter Cell OG XBOX / CSGO PC

Original XBOX - Xecuter 2 4981.67 Bios. Playstation 2 Slim SCPH-70002. Sega Dreamcast. N64