UK solar eclipses coal power over month for first time

GlassBomb
On 6/8/2016 at 1:16 PM, suicidalfranco said:

next step: offshore wind farm 

The UK already has offshore wind farms.

On 6/8/2016 at 1:49 PM, Thony said:

"The government has pledged to phase out all coal-fired electricity by 2025" 

Does it mean they want to go solar panel and wind mill electricity generators ONLY ? Or is coal-fired elec only one of way too many ways to produce electricity while still releasing harmful substances into the air ? 

The plan is to replace it with Nuclear Fission, with the first station being built at Hinkly Point, this has been rather controversial, as its price seems to be increasing everyday, and it's mostly controlled by the French government, and the Chinese are looking to invest in it as well now.  Which doesn't sit well with me, we should be avoiding Nuclear energy until Fusion becomes viable.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I want done is a tidal station built on the Thames.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

I am all for renewable clean energy, but personally, I think we are wasting money by investing so much into solar, wind, tidal ect ect. In my opinion if we threw all the money we have spent on these resources in to cracking (hehe this would have been a joke if it was fission) fusion then we would have had it by now and got ourselves reliable energy that can produce a continous stream of energy into the grid no matter the weather conditions. But either way, this is good news and a huge yey for the environment. 

22 minutes ago, KE2012 said:

I am all for renewable clean energy, but personally, I think we are wasting money by investing so much into solar, wind, tidal ect ect. In my opinion if we threw all the money we have spent on these resources in to cracking (hehe this would have been a joke if it was fission) fusion then we would have had it by now and got ourselves reliable energy that can produce a continous stream of energy into the grid no matter the weather conditions. But either way, this is good news and a huge yey for the environment. 

It's like that with any technology.

Do you spend the money now, to reap the benefits today. Or do you wait, and have more money to invest into that future technology.

Don't get me wrong, I would love-love-love fusion reactors. But we aren't there just yet. And solar panels is something that will last, and when they are no longer in use in favor of something better. Then those panels can be handed down to private investors who can install them on people's roofs, stuff like that.

On 08/06/2016 at 4:13 PM, xentropa said:

Car company A makes 1,000,000 cars and 1000 explode for no reason

Car company B makes 1,000 cars and 500 explode for no reason

I've never seen such a stupid comparison in my life. You can't compare the two. Cars blowing up and the amount of power generated by solar power isn't comparable. 

One's a major safety concern which would result in a recall, the other is just the amount of power being generated.

On 08/06/2016 at 0:19 PM, GlassBomb said:

-snip-

Wait, did the UK really overtake us in renewable energy, or is the 42% only from wind and there may be more from other renewable sources? Anyways, cool to see this much being renewable, we don't really see much of it as everyone is anti-windmill where I live, as well as the fact that loads of windmill companies in Denmark haven't had proper safety procedures while building windmills (epoxy something)

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

2 hours ago, TheMcSame said:

I've never seen such a stupid comparison in my life. You can't compare the two. Cars blowing up and the amount of power generated by solar power isn't comparable. 

One's a major safety concern which would result in a recall, the other is just the amount of power being generated.

The point is, you use percentage to measure how well a particular entity functions.

Obviously you would think higher of a car company whose customer death percentage is lower.

On the same token, one might think higher of an energy policy who's renewable energy percentage is higher.