Should I worry about the load I put on my computer on hot days

CalebK

I am running a 5280k intel cpu, with a case with built in fans (Phanteks Enthoo Luxe), and a 2k rpm cooler master CPU fan (attached to the cpu with ameturely applied thermal paste)

Anyway I noticed that today is quite hot in my house, I dont have a thermometer to measure it but it is almost intolerable. I began to wonder how my computer was doing under this heat and I went into my bios to find that my CPU was running at 45 celcius, which I understand to be a bit high for a cpu that hadnt had to do anything extreme that entire day. I began to worry "What if I tried to do something crazy on it like compressing a huge file, or playing a game with fancy graphics" would the resulting temperature form the increased workload be enough to damage my cpu?

Is this a valid concern? How could I tell when this is happening in time to minimize damage?

Try stress testing it on a hot day and watch the temps with something like HWMonitor.

Alternatively, if you already know what it gets up to on a normal day, just add the difference.  For example, if your CPU hits 60 C on a 22 C day, then it will hit about 68 C on a 30 C day.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Run a load on it and see how high the temps are.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

run a stress test and monitor its temps through AIDA64(which can also stress test) or MSI afterburner like everyone has suggested, if the temps get really high then you know its a problem.

Your CPU will shut down the system if it gets dangerously hot though, your safe there. One time I forgot to plug in my pump for my AIO, was wondering why my PC was shutting off after a few seconds, brushed against the tubing and burned myself, making me check the AIO and noticing the unplugged cable.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

It is not a valid concern at those temperatures. People baby their hardware far too much.

5 minutes ago, SSL said:

It is not a valid concern at those temperatures. People baby their hardware far too much.

Pfft I know right!

12baed2a6b.jpg

*Lights cigarette on exhaust fan*

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

2 minutes ago, CtrlAltELITE said:

Pfft I know right!

*Lights cigarette on exhaust fan*

Pfft top this:

Screenshot_2015-12-18-14-33-19.png

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

OH dear guys! That is some serious temperatures, you should consider cooking things on your motherboard... fresh waffles are always nice XP.

Anyway turns out their is nothing to worry about! Stress test says a maximum of 61 Celsius which is within suggested range. Although the test did only run only 4/6 cores, so I guess in the unlikely event that I am using all of them the temperature might be a bit higher.

11 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Pfft top this:

Screenshot_2015-12-18-14-33-19.png

So, your cooling the CPU with LN2 and smothering everything else with a blanket? :D

EDIT: I just noticed it was a phone, I would be VERY careful with that battery temp by the way.

Also OP I would say you have nothing to worry about, you really need to be up in the triple digits before silicone degredation & standard thermal paste issues begin to crop up. Most modern processors will thermal throttle and ultimately BSOD the system before any physical damage is done. I know for broadwell/haswell i processors that it is 95C that the CPU will throttle to retain its integrity. GPUs tend to be somewhere in the 80s or early 90s

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

25 minutes ago, CtrlAltELITE said:

So, your cooling the CPU with LN2 and smothering everything else with a blanket? :D

EDIT: I just noticed it was a phone, I would be VERY careful with that battery temp by the way.

I didn't mean to start dragging this off topic, but I have to explain now xD 

The tablet was actually pretty cool, since ambient temps were like 10 to 15 C, and for whatever reason it just flipped out and started giving nonsense readings xD 

Here's an actual heat example though

Spoiler

Screenshot_20160503-000400.png