Fan replacement for Noctua NH-D15

Taylor Dettling

Ok so my friends NH-D15 arrived today so I could upgrade his system (which I build) from a Hyper 212 Evo to a NH-D15 and he realized he hated the NH-D15's colors (which look like poop). So he wants me to get some better looking fans for it. So what fans would you recommend that are just as silent and perform just as well (so plus/minus 1 or 2 degrees)?

Thanks,

Taylor 

See if you can find gentle typhoons where you live, even second hand, those fans are really nice. Venturi fans from Fractal design are nice, Phanteks and Nb-eloops are also good

2 minutes ago, Taylor Dettling said:

Ok so my friends NH-D15 arrived today so I could upgrade his system (which I build) from a Hyper 212 Evo to a NH-D15 and he realized he hated the NH-D15's colors (which look like poop). So he wants me to get some better looking fans for it. So what fans would you recommend that are just as silent and perform just as well (so plus/minus 1 or 2 degrees)?

Thanks,

Taylor 

The NH-15 uses extra wide fans so you will need to bend the mounting wires, but 140mm fans do work, something like the LTT editions of the NF-A14's would be a good option, others such as Eloops are also very good.

EK Vardar and Fractal Design GP-14 (or HP-14) are also very credible options.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

These ones from Phanteks proved great cooling / noise according to SPCR.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1291-page5.html

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

7 minutes ago, W-L said:

The NH-15 uses extra wide fans so you will need to bend the mounting wires, but 140mm fans do work, something like the LTT editions of the NF-A14's would be a good option, others such as Eloops are also very good.

How hard is it to bend the wires?

3 minutes ago, Taylor Dettling said:

How hard is it to bend the wires?

They're quite thin and flexible so not very difficult, it should be spring steel of some sort, just note that the fan will overhang the cooler portion a bit:

nf-a14-industrialppc-nh-d15.jpg

1 minute ago, W-L said:

They're quite thin and flexible so not very difficult, it should be spring steel of some sort, just note that the fan will overhang the cooler portion a bit:

nf-a14-industrialppc-nh-d15.jpg

Ok thanks. I will move one fan to the opposite side of the ram so any over hang should not be a problem. I think i will use the 2000 rpm EK Vardar fans.

37 minutes ago, W-L said:

The fans use 120mm mounting holes and any fan with the same holes will work with the clips just fine. 

23 minutes ago, Taylor Dettling said:

Ok thanks. I will move one fan to the opposite side of the ram so any over hang should not be a problem. I think i will use the 2000 rpm EK Vardar fans.

2000rpm vardars aren't as quiet. NF-P14r's would be quieter and more appropriate. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-case-fan-nfp14rredux1500pwm

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.