AMD R2-290X no dvi-i to vga? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

lhikary
Go to solution Solved by lhikary,

Umm that is unfortunate. I still like having VGA because outputting to my 32inch tv on HDMI looks likes trash. Something in the picture looks WRONG! But it works fine on vga. However i would never use VGA on my main  24" IPS goodness

msi h77ma g43 

i5 3470

Coolermaster hyper 212 evo push+pull

Powercolor 7950 pcs+ @1100 mhz core 1400mhz mem

Coolermaster haf 912 advanced 120mm rear, 200mm top 200mm front

Corsair vengeance 2x4gb 1600 MHZ

Windows 8 64bit

Silverstone essentials 500w ST50F-ES

Samsung dvd drive

2x 250GB Hitachi RAID0

Seagate Barracuda 2tb

LG IPS235p

Razer Blackwidow

Razer Deathadder

If you are dropping the money on an R9 then your monitors should probably not need a VGA. And if they do then I would say priorities need shuffling. Even consider getting one GPU down and a better newer monitor. A nice IPS panel and you will probably notice the difference more then same old monitor and the top end.

Buys a $600(?) R9-290X that can run 1080p at >120Hz on Max

>Uses VGA 900p

<4chins

Also, why do you assume that anything at 1080p will be over 120 frames?

We both know it isn't the case.

I think monitor manufacturers need to start making DVI only or DVI & HDMI monitors instead of VGA only or VGA & DVI.

I think it's time VGA died off.

My System - Featuring Custom Laser Etching: (Out of Date - Need to update with current system pictures)
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11149-my-custom-rig-ft-custom-laser-etching/

Big issue!  soo many people use their old monitors as secondary monitors for extra stuff! To buy this card i would need to nuy a new secondary monitor, +$150.

How much does it cost to implement Analogue anyway?

Aussie FTW!
4770k, H60, GTX 780, G1 Sniper 5, Samsung EVO 250GB, Seagate 2TB, Vengance Pro RAM 2133mhz 8GB, Silverstone Strider 850w
The Monolith Desk - build log incomplete.

I was just happy to see this

Death to VGA!

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

I love VGA!! My 3DFX Voodoo5 5500 has vga and it is more EPIC then any AMD video card wil ever be!

Why the hell would you use VGA...yuck

Why not? There isn't any difference in image quality, and unless you want to run 2560x1600 or higher, there is no need for DVI, since VGA allows resolutions up to 2048x1536.

The only reason I can see is that DVI can carry sound and is needed to watch BluRays because it supports HDCP (which is pretty much the only reason I bought a DVI cable, since my monitor shipped with only a VGA cable and I couldn't watch BluRays with that).

Big issue!  soo many people use their old monitors as secondary monitors for extra stuff! To buy this card i would need to nuy a new secondary monitor, +$150.

How much does it cost to implement Analogue anyway?

You know what? Fair call. However if you're the sort of person who can happily spend that much money on a graphics card... you probably have a couple of monitors with DVI floating around. We're talking about a person who's probably going to be spending a couple of grand on their setup, I'm sure they can find $150 in their budget. Hell if you're buying this card you're probably already seriously considering 4K.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Why on earth would you be using a monitor on VGA if you were buying such a card in the first place? 

What this guy said ^. Seriously OP how are you still using a VGA Monitor to game with. Monitors are so cheap to buy these days and I thought i was limiting myself by using my HDTV as my monitor through HDMI.

<p>PC Spec: Fractal Design R4, Asus Maximus V Gene, Intel i7 3770, BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 2 CPU Cooler, 16GB Mushkin Silverline RAM, MSI GTX 660, Corsair AX860i PSU, OCZ 120GB SSD, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III HDD's.

Why not? There isn't any difference in image quality, and unless you want to run 2560x1600 or higher, there is no need for DVI, since VGA allows resolutions up to 2048x1536.

The only reason I can see is that DVI can carry sound and is needed to watch BluRays because it supports HDCP (which is pretty much the only reason I bought a DVI cable, since my monitor shipped with only a VGA cable and I couldn't watch BluRays with that).

VGA is slower and it does have a difference in image quality? 

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

Finally a GPU manifacturer has the guts to say: "Get your priorities right if you are planning to use arguably the fastest GPU in the world using VGA!" Your EYES are more important than the money you spend! I have a 23 inch LG IPS monitor and a HD 6670 and I am much happier than i would have been with a rubbish TN monitor and a little faster GPU. I even consider my gaming experience better than otherwise, I have a friend with a GTX 550 Ti and a 19 inch TN monitor and I couldn't look at it. The monitor is the first thing that enhances your gaming experience, the GPU is second!

I hope this will apply to lower end cards and motherboards soon. Move the masses away from VGA. Most beamers at universities and school still use VGA so it won't die completeley. But if it could at least go extinct on desktop PC, it would be a blessing for all our eyes!!

290x + good monitor = -$50 should be some kind of special rebate offer if you turn in your old monitor with only VGA.

who cares...

VGA with a 290X...

I used VGA with my Geforce 210...

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Not a big deal imo, especially with the price of monitors these days. I can't imagine anyone would buy a flagship gpu then use a monitor with vga input, if you're spending that much on a gpu fork out the extra cash and buy an appropriate moinitor.

Im gonna be honest at 1080p on my monitor i cant tell the difference between vga and dvi yeah i know sue me.

who ever wants to hook up a VGA cable to a 290X should reconsider their purchase & priorities..

XEON 1230 v2 / AMD R9 280x / 8GB DDR3 / Adata XPG SX900 256GB SSD / Corsair 300R Side Window / Corsair CX500M / Corsair M65 Green

Who would use a VGA monitor with a super duper high end GPU anyway?

CoolerMaster CM 690 II Basic | Intel i7-2600 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 2x Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition

Asus P8Z77-V LK | 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | SeaSonic M12ii 850W 80+ Bronze Crucial M4 128GB

Before I bought my GTX 780, I upgraded to 1440P....because I realized it would be pretty dumb to connect a $150 monitor to a $650 vid card.

A good monitor is just as (if not more) important as your GPU for the experience.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Always wondered who would actually buy a high end card and actually use VGA.  Now I know I guess.

Dis track?  Jesus christ why'd we even fight a war?  - Ron Cadillac

kill your self

i didnt even use vga 5 years ago on my gtx 8800

+_+

if you can drop that much money on a card get a better monitor which is cheaper and then buy the card which will be cheaper at the later date  :)

I'm a little confused. Why can't you use a DVI to VGA adapter? I think I missed something...

"You can try to play chess with a pigeon. But even if you win, it'll shit on the board and strut around."