Noctua Low Noise Fan Adapter (Rant)

I already ranted on this a little bit in a different sub post but I think this quite well deserves its own topic. I tried out one of these yesterday for my system after getting everything setup and I can not believe how pathetic this thing is. If you're going to be picking a Noctua fan, some of the best fans out there on the market for silence, why in the hell would I use this crap adapter? It's either loud/high RPM or off for the options. This adapter just flat out does not make things silent. I mean if you want the perfect silence for your system, you're going to be fine tuning anyway so what's the f********** point?! I do not recommend using the noise adapter for silence. If you want true silence, fine tuning by ear is the way to go in my opinion. 

Aka, buy a damn fan controller and stop complaining (or just use your motherboard's BIOS) :) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

It limits the rpm to 1200(NF-A14), and that is noisy for me. I just like noctua fans for the low rpms at idle. Above 700-800 rpm they are pretty loud, just like any fan to be honest.

3 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Aka, buy a damn fan controller and stop complaining (or just use your motherboard's BIOS) :) 

Already planning on the dedicated fan controller. Nope, this is an issue that needs to be addressed properly. Did use the motherboard BIOS, same results. 

just cause you dont see the point doesnt mean other people dont either

at least they include it as an option for the high price you pay

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 hours ago, Nacho Marco Segui said:

It limits the rpm to 1200(NF-A14), and that is noisy for me. I just like noctua fans for the low rpms at idle. Above 700-800 rpm they are pretty loud, just like any fan to be honest.

I took mine down to 800, I might go further, but for now it seems okay with the noise of the hard drive operating 

1 minute ago, IAmLamp said:

Already planning on the dedicated fan controller. Nope, this is an issue that needs to be addressed properly. Did use the motherboard BIOS, same results. 

As enderman has said, just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean everyone disagrees with it. It's a nice option to be able to lower the sound coming from your PC for basically free so stop complaining as some people do appreciate them :) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 hour ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

As enderman has said, just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean everyone disagrees with it. It's a nice option to be able to lower the sound coming from your PC for basically free so stop complaining as some people do appreciate them :) 

That's why I said MY opinion. Did you even read? Jesus. 

1 hour ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Speedfan? 

if you mean the RPM it was like 1100

edit - oh you mean this? http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

1 minute ago, IAmLamp said:

if you mean the RPM it was like 1100

There is a free program called speedfan that lets you adjust rpm, why not just use that.

3 hours ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

There is a free program called speedfan that lets you adjust rpm, why not just use that.

Like I said, that wasn't an option with the adapter installed, it was either 1100 or off. 

The point of the low noise adapter is to have the fan quieter, but since it doesn't do a well job, the meaning of it seems useless, if one is to be changing the RPM precisely for silence, then I don't see the point of the adapter

I run my fans at 0-500 rpm idle/light gaming and 750 rpm max while under full load. I definitely understand where you are coming from here.

That said, including an adapter is always better than not including one, and Noctua isn't the only one to do so (FD does on their Venturi fans as well).

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

I appreciate the program recommendation though, I'll make a note of it. I've meet with quite a few loud PCs that don't have options like that in BIOS. A good example are stock off the shelf PCs so it should work well for those. Thanks. 

54 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

I run my fans at 0-500 rpm idle/light gaming and 750 rpm max while under full load. I definitely understand where you are coming from here.

That said, including an adapter is always better than not including one, and Noctua isn't the only one to do so (FD does on their Venturi fans as well).

From a standpoint in which a user may not be interested in messing around in BIOS for adjusting RPM I can see that maybe, but even then, the adapter is just not worth including in my opinion, it defeats the entire purpose of buying/using a noctua fan

2 minutes ago, IAmLamp said:

From a standpoint in which a user may not be interested in messing around in BIOS for adjusting RPM I can see that maybe, but even then, the adapter is just not worth including in my opinion, it defeats the entire purpose of buying/using a noctua fan

Well first off, many motherboard bios's just suck dick at fan control (ESP older ones). Second how is the adapter "defeating the purpose of buying a noctua fan"?

(Not that I EVER recommend noctua fans to people...)

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

3 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Well first off, many motherboard bios's just suck dick at fan control (ESP older ones). Second how is the adapter "defeating the purpose of buying a noctua fan"?

(Not that I EVER recommend noctua fans to people...)

The idea of the adapter is to make things more silent, decreasing the maximum RPM that it can spin at. But even with the adapter installed, it's just too loud. It did lower the maximum RPM but it was to such a small degree that it was just useless. It's a self defeating purpose in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, IAmLamp said:

The idea of the adapter is to make things more silent, decreasing the maximum RPM that it can spin at. But even with the adapter installed, it's just too loud. It did lower the maximum RPM but it was to such a small degree that it was just useless. It's a self defeating purpose in my opinion. 

1. Noctua isn't going to charge less for their fans by not including the adapter. So your entire idea is flawed.

2. For the majority of people who aren't silence freaks (I include myself in the freak category), the ulna adapter often pushes the fan noise out of auditory range (because of higher background noise). Ergo it has a point.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

3 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

1. Noctua isn't going to charge less for their fans by not including the adapter. So your entire idea is flawed.

2. For the majority of people who aren't silence freaks (I include myself in the freak category), the ulna adapter often pushes the fan noise out of auditory range (because of higher background noise). Ergo it has a point.

I did not say ANYTHING about price. My "idea" is not flawed. 

I still believe that the ULNA is too loud and doesn't serve much of a purpose 

39 minutes ago, IAmLamp said:

-snip-

not everyone can or wants to set up custom fan curves

older motherboards dont have voltage control capabilities on all fan headers

also some people dont have or use fan headers, they use molex power for fans

that is why adding an inline resistor can bring rpm down to a lower level without needing to use a custom 5v or 7v plug

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

8 minutes ago, IAmLamp said:

I did not say ANYTHING about price. My "idea" is not flawed. 

I still believe that the ULNA is too loud and doesn't serve much of a purpose 

It has zero opportunity cost therefore it cannot defeat any purpose through inclusion... 

This is literally elementary logic bounds...

Saying you don't think it does enough is one thing... saying it shouldn't be included because it didn't float your boat is another all together.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

34 minutes ago, Enderman said:

not everyone can or wants to set up custom fan curves

older motherboards dont have voltage control capabilities on all fan headers

also some people dont have or use fan headers, they use molex power for fans

that is why adding an inline resistor can bring rpm down to a lower level without needing to use a custom 5v or 7v plug

Who installs a Noctua fan on a motherboard that doesn't even have voltage controlling? For that matter, it would still make sense to have a fan controller instead. The improvement is barely even noticeable even if someone were to choose to not go with a fan controller and go with the adapter instead. 

To begin with, I don't know what a resistor is, and your expectations of me being required to know that is flawed. 

20 minutes ago, IAmLamp said:

Who installs a Noctua fan on a motherboard that doesn't even have voltage controlling? For that matter, it would still make sense to have a fan controller instead. The improvement is barely even noticeable even if someone were to choose to not go with a fan controller and go with the adapter instead. 

To begin with, I don't know what a resistor is, and your expectations of me being required to know that is flawed. 

Also, you're jumping to conclusions too quickly and ignoring the part where I said the improvement is barely even noticeable. 

I mean if you're going to skip over such major pieces, are you even worth the adult conversation? 

noctua fans are just fans

they can be used on any PC

i have seen 10 year old PCs with noctua fans

not everyone likes fan controllers

having to turn 5 knobs every time you launch a game is a huge annoyance

a resistor is what the low noise adapter is

it reduces voltage

the improvement is noticeable, maybe you have trouble hearing or something

obviously the ULNA makes a bigger difference than the LNA

either way, youre again assuming that just because you dont notice it, nobody else can

Spoiler