What if You were to send a computer from today back to the 90's, would we have computers 10x more powerful?

kaylexmorgana

?

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

Yes but it would be an infinite loop of more powerful computers because you go back in time 25 years, give them our technology, then that technology matures and develops, then alternate you in this alternate path has to go back and give this new and better technology to the 90s to complete the loop. You can't stop the loop so it keeps on going.

So no, if you went back and gave the technology of our day to someone in the 90s, you'd find that now we'd be infinite number of times more technologically advanced. Although, if you're referring to a particular loop, you'd find that it would be advancement due to Moores law times the number of years times the number of loops completed.

No, because the advancement is in the ability to manufacture these systems as well as the systems themselves. What you would end up with is a less powerful version of what we have now because of an improvised manufacturing technique.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

1 minute ago, DragonTamer1 said:

No, because the advancement is in the ability to manufacture these systems as well as the systems themselves. What you would end up with is a less powerful version of what we have now because of an improvised manufacturing technique.

This is what I thought would happen.

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

We need to find an IBM 5100.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB + Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero

Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios Gundam Edition Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 850P

We need to find an IBM 5100.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB + Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero

Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios Gundam Edition Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 850P

1 hour ago, 69ing Rainbow Dash said:

This is what I thought would happen.

...and you would be wrong in thinking that.

The fabs themselves still need to exist to get our current level of performance x-amount of years ago.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

So there are two things that I can see happening with this. 1, the grandfather paradox could be invoked on which the events that @Mug would continue. Or 2, the grandfather paradox could not happen and the computer in question would go back to a copy of the past; this however, would require that the multiverse to be a legitimate thing which is an uncertainty at this point in time.

i think the architecture map would help them advance but i don't think they'll be able to make a quick leap over in production as it is now due to their inexperience & may i say budget restriction & R&D would be stuck in some areas

Details separate people.

If Marty McFly arrived at my house today and handed me a desktop PC from the year 2026 it would be awesome but it doesn't necessarily mean we would have the appropriate technology to replicate it, maybe examine it and get some ideas for new directions to go in but i cant see it jumping us forward 10 years, maybe it would shave 2-3 years off the next decade? 

Issues have more to do with science advancement, which is then applied, and that is why it takes time. That, and money.

Well they would have to reverse engineer the components first before being able to apply the technology of our today to their today's technology.

It would be like having a super computer now, it's gonna take some time before everyone has that much power and by the time people have that much power, more powerful stuff has been made.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Going back to start of 2000 and telling AMD - "OK guys... This is what you HAVE to do!".

Same for 3DFx maybe ;)

Not unless you also send back a team of top notch contemporary engineers and billions of dollars so they can invest in building modern foundries from scratch. 

14 and 16 nanometers it's REALLY fucking small, even knowing how to do things doesn't guarantees success. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

14 hours ago, Mug said:

Yes but it would be an infinite loop of more powerful computers because you go back in time 25 years, give them our technology, then that technology matures and develops, then alternate you in this alternate path has to go back and give this new and better technology to the 90s to complete the loop. You can't stop the loop so it keeps on going.

So no, if you went back and gave the technology of our day to someone in the 90s, you'd find that now we'd be infinite number of times more technologically advanced. Although, if you're referring to a particular loop, you'd find that it would be advancement due to Moores law times the number of years times the number of loops completed.

Skynet is coming