U'd better sit down for this - suggested retail prices for the GTX1080 "founders edition"

zMeul
4 minutes ago, edsdrafts said:

Whoever thought EU prices will be bad you might want to sit down again:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st_date-desc-rank?keywords=gtx+1080&fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A340831031%2Ck%3Agtx+1080%2Cp_6%3AA3P5ROKL5A1OLE&qid=1463412638&sort=date-desc-rank

$1000 for the GTX 1080 Founders Edition. Might as well get Titan X. Saw one last week on Amazon for same price. More RAM and better performance in professional applications.

You would probably still need some components changed (only the CPU is around 500ish, maybe less now), just to get the beast running. Titan X is still the boss. 

1 minute ago, Violeta said:

You would probably still need some components changed (only the CPU is around 500ish, maybe less now), just to get the beast running. Titan X is still the boss. 

I am currently in process of building new PC and I am only left with GPU conundrum. I would not mind spending €650-700 (around 600GBP tops) on 1080 but if it is going to be €900-950 we are talking about different beast all together. I then have options for GTX 980Ti for much less or Titan X for nearly the same (and too much for a GPU in my opinion).

I might need to wait till mid June until the prices settle and then I will decide. I guess it means using Intel HD graphics until then...

That isn't the pricing.

I should elaborate - pricing is still under NDA. Only marketing can be posted by retailers & partners at this stage.

Technical NDA lifted last night.

15 hours ago, Alexp10v2 said:

I see people complaining about prices, and I agree, they are BS, the UK Markup can sometimes be acquitted to the fact we have to pay a 20% VAT on everything. So the $699 is equivalent to ~£484, so with the VAT added, that should equal around £580. Where is the markup coming from then to make it £619?

The companies that import the graphics card into the UK have to pay shipping, vat, insurance and a flat government charge of £11 on every box they import (boxes usually have 10 gpus). When I go back into work next week I'll keep an eye out for the GTX 1080s coming through and see how much they cost to import. (I work for a UPS depot that delivers to Exertis, one of the main distributors of graphics cards to UK suppliers). By the time all of the shipping and import charges have been made most retailers hardly make a profit, if any, on graphics card.

46 minutes ago, wolfsbane3083 said:

The companies that import the graphics card into the UK have to pay shipping, vat, insurance and a flat government charge of £11 on every box they import (boxes usually have 10 gpus). When I go back into work next week I'll keep an eye out for the GTX 1080s coming through and see how much they cost to import. (I work for a UPS depot that delivers to Exertis, one of the main distributors of graphics cards to UK suppliers). By the time all of the shipping and import charges have been made most retailers hardly make a profit, if any, on graphics card.

Not quite. Say GPUs are coming from Taiwan for argument sake. Once they leave Taiwan local VAT is not imposed. Shipping costs for most big companies are laughably small and insurance is already included on most packaging. Once pallets land in UK local government imposes import VAT and local VAT (roughly around 30% total depending on goods). Per box charge is nothing, £1 per GPU is insignificant.

In the end if GPU is costing £550 (without local VAT) in Taiwan, by the time it reaches retailer they could realistically sell it for £700 but do they? Add additional £50 and you have yourself £750 GPU that to purchase in Taiwan store would cost you around £70 less.

This math is considering UK retailer buys from Taiwan retailer and not from manufacturer or distributor directly, where pricing is much better. I think just because EU is a small market and companies do need to make a living they charge significantly more than they should. US is much larger market and apparently has different philosophy on imports.

EVGA 1080 KINGPIN more € for your bang :P ? :/

Groomlake Authority

19 hours ago, SurvivorNVL said:

I don't see an issue, really.  This is the reference model, and they're pricing the reference higher than their board partners.  You'll probably get a custom blower card from Asus or EVGA in the future, that will be lower priced than this, or a superclocked / windforce card that is cheaper and better cooling, acoustics, and looks better(subjectively).  ...

The general pricing and difference to the founder edition isn't the issue, the excessively higher prices in other countries, even when taking VAT etc. into consideration, is the problem.

15 hours ago, Syfes said:

Shipping, handling, import taxes, etc... Pretty sure nVidia isn't profiting more on this side of the ocean :P

Pretty sure the market on this side of the ocean is a huge part in their income. As we see on the higher price tag, diferences are just charged from the consumer.

8 hours ago, RagnarokDel said:

There's a surcharge when crossing the border.

There shouldn't be for used hardware, just take it out of the box/make it look used. Or just let someone you know/trust buy that product for you in the USA, test it, make it look used (without permanent marking etc.) and then ship it without the original packaging

2 hours ago, edsdrafts said:

Whoever thought EU prices will be bad you might want to sit down again:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st_date-desc-rank?keywords=gtx+1080&fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A340831031%2Ck%3Agtx+1080%2Cp_6%3AA3P5ROKL5A1OLE&qid=1463412638&sort=date-desc-rank

$1000 for the GTX 1080 Founders Edition. Might as well get Titan X. Saw one last week on Amazon for same price. More RAM and better performance in professional applications.

titan x profesional performance is gutted. a titan black does better in those scenarios.

unreal prices and shitty games that you need to buy twice 60 main game and another 60 for season passes, expansions, premiums and so on, and GPU's get more and more expensive overseas, also microsoft, console devs and others ruin pc gaming, i gave up gaming for a while now ill prolly sell my PC gaming in the future, even if i had money for 2x 1080 i would have almost nothing to play other than old games

with that kind of money i can invest and make profit off something so im outta here fk yall devs and your games and gpus and intel double priced cpus and so on

I might be complety wrong here but from what I have heard, paraphrasing what others have heard from nvidia before they drew any conclusions, The founders edition is the Reference design as sold by nvidia which will be sold directly by nvidia for the entire life time of the 1080s existence.

I've read no where that the board partners wont bring out a reference card with their branding at 599? I have seen people draw the conclusion that founders edition = reference design, but what if founders edition is just nvidia branded reference design? It makes no sense whats so ever that a non reference card which a board partner actually put more effort in than the reference design would be cheaper.

I feel like nvidia charges a surplus (100 for 1080, 80 for 1070) for stocking/shipping etc for those who want a blower style cooler/ no hassle water cooling/ bragging rights.

just my two cents

I've bought my new laptop for the same price and even that is enough for my gaming needs(GTX950m) so no thanks .

why ? too expensive IMO (for me at least)

If these are the prices we'll see for the 1080 outside of the US, then all that money I've saved up will be for naught. Won't even have half the money I need even if I sold my 970. 

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

On 5/17/2016 at 11:42 AM, zMeul said:

source: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review,30.html

03-headshot-cost.gif

holy mother of god, those prices

if you live anywhere outside US and want one of these cards .. good luck, mate - for a card that replaces the GTX980, those are some GTX980Ti range prices -_-

I wonder how far will they go with the GTX1080Ti and the next Titan

yes, I completely get that the GTX1080 is faster than GTX980Ti, that's not the point - the point is that it's marketed as GTX980 replacement

---

after seeing some more info on the GTX1080, I don't get what's the point behind this card

• the cooling solution is completely inadequate
  • it has a power limit of 180W + 20% offset (via EVGA Precision software)

you get it because of a tight space case? that's completely fine

but what about the rest? you'd get one to put a water block on it an OCit? you might wanna think again:

once you get rid of the thermal problem you'd be facing the power limiter - this card needs more than the 8pin PCIe power connector for serious and consistent OCing

I suspect AIB cards with custom cooling solution will provide all of the above

from my understanding, and this hasn't been confirmed or denied by nVidia - it seems that AIB partners will launch their cards alongside the "founders edition"

Prices don't seem that bad. It wa the same way when the 980 came out. After the titanX and the 980ti was released the price of the 980 dropped by 100-150 retail.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

On 17-5-2016 at 5:42 PM, zMeul said:

• the cooling solution is completely inadequate

uhm... from what i've seen their cooler seems to do as expected...

On 17-5-2016 at 5:42 PM, zMeul said:

from my understanding, and this hasn't been confirmed or denied by nVidia - it seems that AIB partners will launch their cards alongside the "founders edition"

wasnt that the idea? i thought the whole idea of founders edition was that AIB partners no longer carry the "reference" model.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

uhm... from what i've seen their cooler seems to do as expected...

if you expected to thermal throttle, then yes

wasnt that the idea? i thought the whole idea of founders edition was that AIB partners no longer carry the "reference" model.

no, AIB partners will carry the "reference" model - a lot of AIBs have already listed the "founders edition": http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5910#kf

the initial idea was that the "founders edition" would be a early adopters card - but it seems that will no longer be the case, as AIBs will launch their own custom boards at the same time

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

the initial idea was that the "founders edition" would be a early adopters card - but it seems that will no longer be the case, as AIBs will launch their own custom boards at the same time

i may have beel listening to different news than you then, from what i heard the founders edition was mostly just nvidia offering a blower cooler card for longer than just the initial period before custom coolers appear.

8 hours ago, QBtech said:

I might be complety wrong here but from what I have heard, paraphrasing what others have heard from nvidia before they drew any conclusions, The founders edition is the Reference design as sold by nvidia which will be sold directly by nvidia for the entire life time of the 1080s existence.

I've read no where that the board partners wont bring out a reference card with their branding at 599? I have seen people draw the conclusion that founders edition = reference design, but what if founders edition is just nvidia branded reference design? It makes no sense whats so ever that a non reference card which a board partner actually put more effort in than the reference design would be cheaper.

I feel like nvidia charges a surplus (100 for 1080, 80 for 1070) for stocking/shipping etc for those who want a blower style cooler/ no hassle water cooling/ bragging rights.

just my two cents

Board partners are advertising the sales of founders edition GTX 1080's with the exact specs of Nvidia's.  The "Founders Edition" is a reference PCB and the reference cooler. 

Partners could offer a cheaper reference PCB with a cheaper cooler, but they can't sell the reference PCB and reference cooler together(founders edition) for cheaper.

http://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/GTX1080-8G/

http://www.evga.com/articles/01004/geforce-gtx-1080/

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5910#kf

https://www.zotac.com/product/graphics_card/geforce-gtx-1080

https://us.msi.com/Graphics-card/GTX-1080-Founders-Edition.html#hero-overview

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 hour ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Board partners are advertising the sales of founders edition GTX 1080's with the exact specs of Nvidia's.  The "Founders Edition" is a reference PCB and the reference cooler. 

Partners could offer a cheaper reference PCB with a cheaper cooler, but they can't sell the reference PCB and reference cooler together(founders edition).

http://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/GTX1080-8G/

http://www.evga.com/articles/01004/geforce-gtx-1080/

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5910#kf

https://www.zotac.com/product/graphics_card/geforce-gtx-1080

https://us.msi.com/Graphics-card/GTX-1080-Founders-Edition.html#hero-overview

True, but

We havent seen the price for aib's founders editions/reference cards.  We just know that if you buy it from Nvidia directly it will run you 699

18 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Yes AMD literally forced Nvidia at gunpoint to raise prices. Evil corporation AMD. 

Availability and demand... nVidia has the availability of a new high performance GPU that AMD has no challenge for, the users demand for better performance... thus the pricing can command it...

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

5 hours ago, QBtech said:

True, but

We havent seen the price for aib's founders editions/reference cards.  We just know that if you buy it from Nvidia directly it will run you 699

I could've sworn zotac and evga had $699 USD listed on their sites but I just tried to find it again and don't see them.  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I initially looked from this article

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-founders-edition-pre-order-listed/

Maybe the prices have since been taken down or maybe I'm delusional. 

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

7 hours ago, manikyath said:

i may have beel listening to different news than you then, from what i heard the founders edition was mostly just nvidia offering a blower cooler card for longer than just the initial period before custom coolers appear.

Founders edition will be available from nvidia throughout the lifetime of the 1080. 

Initial price for GTX1080 is RM3,300 here, so that's $810.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

8 hours ago, QBtech said:

just my two cents

I think the higher price is because of using aluminium instead of plastic for the card top, hence why the "while supplies last". I've only read unconfirmed news on that, but it would make some sense to have a special edition for the preorder/loyal clients, then a regular for whoever buys it after the price drops.  

6125 DKK, thats 20 % more than a student get in state education grant here in Denmark :ph34r: I'm glad that I will graduate in a month and start earning money, so I can afford it (or two :P ). 

Anyway it's just like any electronic devices, their increasing prices is higher than the inflation in most countries. I don't if its just the manufacturing costs that's more expensive, because of the complexity, of if companies just want to earn more :o