Pentax K-1

spartaman64

Pentax made their first full frame DSLR camera the Pentax K-1. 

Specs and Features:

36.4MP 35.9x24mm sensor

Prime IV image processor

5 axis stabilization 

nearly 100% optical viewfinder

33 point auto-focus with 25 being cross type

an LCD screen with a rather unique flexible tilting design on four legs

dustproof and weather resistant magnesium body

doesn't have an AA filter but instead simulates one with sensor vibrations

built in wifi

built in gps

2 x SDXC memory slots

1080p 30fps video

14 bit raw capture (DNG or PEF)

4.4 fps burst for up to 23 raw or 70 jpeg

floating mirror

shutter speed 1/8000 to 30s

operation assisting LEDs

ISO 100-204800

1799$ body only

It also has a technology called pixel shift resolution which takes 4 pictures by shifting the sensor by a pixel for each shot and then combining them into a single picture. This gives each pixel of the image more color information granting full "true color" RGB pixels. The fact that this is the only full frame dslr with this feature makes it a compelling option.

My thoughts:

The 33 auto focus points seems like a small amount by today's standards but isn't too bad and the pricing is fairly aggressive. The continuous burst is rather slow by today's standards but I personally never considered burst an important factor but other people's mileage may vary. The most compelling feature IMO is the pixel shift system. 

pentaxk1diagonal.jpg

source: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentax-k-1 

Meh, the iPhone 6S camera is already DSLR quality anyway. Who bothers with these behemoths anymore? :P

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

Meh, the iPhone 6S camera is already DSLR quality anyway. Who bothers with these behemoths anymore? :P

ikr this doesnt even do 4k video :P

6 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

I know what you mean, but can you imagine professional photographer on a tripod with 6S shooting some conference while others around him with DSLRs :D

Nice to see pentax finally enter the race, but honestly I dont find it that compelling compared to Sony (and maybe Nikon, a little less canon

Its not even on my radar as a camera upgrade

7 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

No, it doesnt

the iPhone takes great photos, especially for a phone, but it does not in any way compared to a fully featured full frame DSLR

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 hour ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Nice to see pentax finally enter the race, but honestly I dont find it that compelling compared to Sony (and maybe Nikon, a little less canon

No, it doesnt

the iPhone takes great photos, especially for a phone, but it does not in any way compared to a fully featured full frame DSLR

It does if you are not professional photographer. Maybe even better job in fact in that case.

Since I am from those people that don't want to fiddle with settings and I just want to point and shoot I could never bother to use anything else beside phone camera. 

Cool for people that are into this stuff though.

51 minutes ago, WereCat said:

It does if you are not professional photographer. Maybe even better job in fact in that case.

Since I am from those people that don't want to fiddle with settings and I just want to point and shoot I could never bother to use anything else beside phone camera. 

Cool for people that are into this stuff though.

Then an RX100 point and shoot would be better etc

heck even a DSLR on auto would probably out shoot a phone

Yes, modern smartphones take great images, I use my iphone camera, A LOT, but I am never 100% happy with the photos

I agree, for people who dont care the iPhone camera is fine, but you dont have to be a professional to spend money and time on photography, just be an enthusiast 

Its like saying that gaming on an iPhone doesnt compete with consoles and PC, since a PC entheisat will have a baller system playing games in 4k etc vs angry birds on iPhone, even though I game a lot on my phone too I would never compare the experiance to the PC

ANYWAY, this discussion is completely off topic of the pentax

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

15 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

No, it doesnt

the :P usually means they are joking and the pixel shift resolution is really cool along with the price

5 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

the :P usually means they are joking and the pixel shift resolution is really cool along with the price

dunno £1600 body only puts it in the realms of the other full frame cameras and im not sure it has enough to set itself apart

pixel shift is not usable handheld, so aside from landscape and studio photographers, I dont see this getting much real world use 99% of the time, plus 36mp is enough for almost any photographer 

Looking at the comparisons of the 100% crop of the pixel shift images, a straight up image from the A7R2, D810 and 5DSR are on par without any gimmicky feature

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k1/pentax-k1A.HTM#tech2

No 4k video, get out

I even expect it on budget cameras now

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

17 hours ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

No 4k video, get out

I even expect it on budget cameras now

many dslr cameras are not built for video unless this comment is a joke

18 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

dunno £1600 body only puts it in the realms of the other full frame cameras and im not sure it has enough to set itself apart

pixel shift is not usable handheld, so aside from landscape and studio photographers, I dont see this getting much real world use 99% of the time, plus 36mp is enough for almost any photographer 

Looking at the comparisons of the 100% crop of the pixel shift images, a straight up image from the A7R2, D810 and 5DSR are on par without any gimmicky feature

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k1/pentax-k1A.HTM#tech2

if you compare it with similar quality full frame cameras at full retail price its has fairly good pricing. and this camera is probably for studio photographers and such and you can always get a tripod and the pixel shift is not for higher resolutions but for better color and noise reduction

2 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

many dslr cameras are not built for video

Yeah they are. Can only remember the D700 that didn't have it most recently, that was in 2009?

My main use of a DSLR for work is still images, yet I still see 4K video as a necessity.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

1080p 30 fps video

Why is this more than 1500$? is the photo quality extremely good or something? i don't know much about cameras

1 hour ago, PeloyGeek said:

1080p 30 fps video

Why is this more than 1500$? is the photo quality extremely good or something? i don't know much about cameras

Its not really focused on video, its a stills camera primarily

15 hours ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Yeah they are. Can only remember the D700 that didn't have it most recently, that was in 2009?

My main use of a DSLR for work is still images, yet I still see 4K video as a necessity.

yes many have the ability to take video but lots of them have restriction like they can only take video for 30 mins or something

15 hours ago, PeloyGeek said:

1080p 30 fps video

its a 36MP full frame DSLR so yes photos are really good and most DSLR cameras are pretty much photo only with video as a complete after thought. you dont buy a DSLR for video

On 5/17/2016 at 10:55 PM, patrickjp93 said:

That statement is wrong on so many levels.

On 19/05/2016 at 10:09 PM, spartaman64 said:

its a 36MP full frame DSLR so yes photos are really good and most DSLR cameras are pretty much photo only with video as a complete after thought. you dont buy a DSLR for video

DSLRs/Mirrorless are stlll the best option for film-makers on a budget

Dont forget, some parts of MAJOR movies use DSLRs and mirrorless cameras, for a quick example, in the new Mad Max they used tons of DSLR and Mirrorless cameras

there are tons more, and so many lower budget movies etc, they are still extremely capable cameras for video, and on par image quality wise with cameras costing 10-20x more money, they just take a lot more work and need more accessories out the box 

crew2.png

tFpnrYU.jpgredrockfuryrig000.jpg?0fd979

10 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

DSLRs/Mirrorless are stlll the best option for film-makers on a budget

Dont forget, some parts of MAJOR movies use DSLRs and mirrorless cameras, for a quick example, in the new Mad Max they used tons of DSLR and Mirrorless cameras

there are tons more, and so many lower budget movies etc, they are still extremely capable cameras for video, and on par image quality wise with cameras costing 10-20x more money, they just take a lot more work and need more accessories out the box 

thats sort of weird considering many DSLRs even top of the line 8000+ dollar ones have only 30 min of videos and stuff. for video you use mirrorless video cameras

3 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

thats sort of weird considering many DSLRs even top of the line 8000+ dollar ones have only 30 min of videos and stuff. for video you use mirrorless video cameras

30 minutes of video, only if in a single take (who shoots 30 minute takes) and only if if recording internally and most have clean HDMI so you can record to a atomos nina or blackmagic assist/deck for unlimited recording to SSDs and at a higher bitrate

even I use an external video recorder when I shoot

Interesting specs list... some things seem pretty top-of-the-line, while others are behind those offered by cheaper DX cameras that have been available for over a year already... hm...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saying, the reason why some cameras is 30 min limit in Europe is because if it can do longer than that, it is categorized as a video camera, and not a camera for pictures, and then the company that made it have to pay extra fee.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

Just saying, the reason why some cameras is 30 min limit in Europe is because if it can do longer than that, it is categorized as a video camera, and not a camera for pictures, and then the company that made it have to pay extra fee.

Very interesting and stupid... xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.