Lighting strike shuts computer down, wont power back up.

Seireitou

forgive any mistakes, typing this on my phone. So a quick lighting storm just occurred, it was fine at first until, it struck very close to my window. I'm talking close enough to see sparks. My computer instantly shuts down and now won't power up. Now before you ask the basic questions, yes it still has power. USB's led are on ANd its currently charging my phone from the front headers as we speak. So the motherboard has power. So when I turn it on, it powers up for a quick second and then powers down. All fans move during this 2 second power situation, including the psu. At the moment of the storm, I was connected via Ethernet playing a game. Can anybody help me? I'm thinking my mobo is fine but I could be wrong. I'm hoping its only the psu or maybe just a safe mode its in to stop further surges....

Thank you

Don't you have a surge protector? Wait until the storm has completely passed.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Do you have another system to put the power supply in? Or maybe another power supply to put the system in?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Do you have another system to put the power supply in? Or maybe another power supply to put the system in?

3 minutes ago, eLucid said:

Don't you have a surge protector? Wait until the storm has completely passed.

I don't sadly. This was my firs build so I don't just have extras around and I'm assuming a surge protector is those extenders you buy the store that allows you to plug it into the wall and your computer into that? If so, no I don't.

Just unplug and turn of the power supply for a while and let time pass it should be fine after that. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

Just now, Seireitou said:

I don't sadly. This was my firs build so I don't just have extras around and I'm assuming a surge protector is those extenders you buy the store that allows you to plug it into the wall and your computer into that? If so, no I don't.

Surge protectors are different from those devices. While surge protectors do have multiple outlets on them, they actually protect any connected devices from any kind of surges that might happen(up to a certain point. They can't absorb all surges). 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

5 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Surge protectors are different from those devices. While surge protectors do have multiple outlets on them, they actually protect any connected devices from any kind of surges that might happen(up to a certain point. They can't absorb all surges).

so how likely is it that its something more than the psu or that I can just unplug it for awhile and it'll work again? With the details that I'm giving you, it wouldn't turn on at all if was the mobo correct?

1 minute ago, Seireitou said:

In my case my PSU absorbed most of the energy form a surge :P RIP XFX core 850W a massive power surge took out 2 breakers and fried 2 of the main wiring (for all the sockets)...yeah...good thing the PSU was the only thing damaged in the whole house but got replaced by FiercePC...yay :P and recent motherboards also have surge protection built onto them (although only for weaker surges)...still haven't learned my lesson however you and I should both get surge protectors for future incidents :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

4 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

In my case my PSU absorbed most of the energy form a surge :P RIP XFX core 850W a massive power surge took out 2 breakers and fried 2 of the main wiring (for all the sockets)...yeah...good thing the PSU was the only thing damaged in the whole house but got replaced by FiercePC...yay :P and recent motherboards also have surge protection built onto them (although only for weaker surges)...still haven't learned my lesson however you and I should both get surge protectors for future incidents :D

I'll be picking one up tomorrow if everything is okay today. I just hope it didn't fry anything that would be very bad. I just got this damn thing.

I have an asrock extreme6.

Just now, Seireitou said:

I'll be picking one up tomorrow if everything is okay today. I just hope it didn't fry anything that would be very bad. I just got this damn thing.

True true, I got lucky with that PSU as although it got fried, it was working just enough for the technicians to find how unstable the 12v rail was so they replaced it and stated that it was a manufacturing error :D

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

It would be the most likely that your psu is fried since thats how the electric flows to the rest of your case. Roof -> rest of house -> cable -> psu -> rest of your pc.
It can't get in any other way since your case has probably little to no connection to any other material. Case standoffs are mostly rubber, so they won't conduct electricity. Look at your psu is my opinion. Try it another day, perhaps it works. When it doesn't, ask a friend to lend a psu or something.

4 minutes ago, prieter said:

Case standoffs are mostly rubber, so they won't conduct electricity. 

I'm not sure what you mean by the idea that case standoffs are mostly rubber. Are you referring to the motherboard standoffs? Because those are brass. Or are you referring to the feet on cases? Additionally, any material can be made a conductor of electricity if the voltage is sufficiently high.

I'm just going to leave it unplugged and turned off for an hour or two. Perhaps it'll turn on then. I sadly don't have an extra psu so if it doesn't work, I'll have to buy a new one to test it.

4 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by the idea that case standoffs are mostly rubber. Are you referring to the motherboard standoffs? Because those are brass. Or are you referring to the feet on cases? Additionally, any material can be made a conductor of electricity if the voltage is sufficiently high.

I am indeed refering to case feet. And yes, you're right that everything can conduct electricity if the ammount of voltage it great enough. However, rubber is EXTREMELY EXTREMELY difficult. Why do you think they build power plants with rubber to connect wires to metal? Furthermore, it's not that the lightning hit his case.

5 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

General question, anybody knows how much voltage lightning has? in general

1 minute ago, Flowey said:

General question, anybody knows how much voltage lightning has? in general

There is estimated to be around 2,000 lightning storm active around the global at one time creating over 100 strikes per second.

These thunderstorms generate a potential difference of 200,000 to 500,000 volts between the Earth’s surface and the ionosphere, with a fair weather current of about 2×10-12 amperes/meter2.

Source: http://www.aharfield.co.uk/lightning-protection-services/about-lightning

its been about 2hrs now. Do you think its cool to try now??

I tried it and it still doesn't seem to be working.... I think its just fried.... Sigh. Time to buy a other one I guess.

is there anything else I can do or try before I fork out for another one?

microcenter is going to let me exchange it for another one! Free of charge. So lets just hope its the psu. The motherboard gets power I think we when it powers on the USB ports work and I can charge my phone off of it. It just doesn't seem like it has enough power to start it up because it is damaged. I just hope this is the case. If anything, I still have to spend money as I need to buy a surge protector. Is 3700 joules enough?

Depends if you are planning to get hit by lightning again.