Civilization 6 Finally Announced

CivilizationVI_KeyArt-VERTICALx-720x997.

I have been waiting for this for a long time. Civilization 6 was finally announced.

One of the main big features is "unstacking" cities. This means that cities now have specialized districts on separate tiles instead of all being clumped into one tile. " If London is pumping out armored tanks and fighter jets, you can attack its factory tiles. If Cairo is generating ample currency, its markets are the obvious targets."

Another new feature is active research which allows you to progress through the science tree without spending time researching something you wouldn't want.

"City building isn't the only thing Beech and his team are reworking. There's also what Firaxis is calling "active research." In past Civ games, you often had to research technologies just for the sake of progressing through the science tree. In Civ VI, however, the research system allows for boosts. As Beech described them, these are smaller objectives you can accomplish in order to enhance science development in specific areas."

"We're adding these levels of distinction to the way you settle the world," Beech says. "Each time you settle your first city, start producing food, gold, culture, science, and everything vital to growth, we want it to feel different. We want you to consider your military differently. We want to encourage new approaches. We want it to feel like a new experience each time."

They are essentially striving to make civ 6 be less predictable than previous games and give you more options in terms of how you want to play through each time.

As always i am skeptical about games until they are released and reviews come in. So even though i have been waiting for a new civ game i certainly wont be preordering it. But I personally am very excited as im on my 20th (at least) play through of civ 5 now and it is starting to get stale.

(Screenshots)

CivilizationVI_screenshot_announce1-720x

CivilizationVI_screenshot_announce2-720x

CivilizationVI_screenshot_announce3-720x

http://www.cnet.com/news/civilization-6-revealed-brings-major-changes/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/11/three-ways-sid-meiers-civilization-6-radically-reinvents-itself-city-building-science-and-diplomacy

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

3 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

I have been waiting for this for a long time. Civilization 6 was finally announced.

One of the main big features is "unstacking" cities. This means that cities now have specialized districts on separate tiles instead of all being clumped into one tile. " If London is pumping out armored tanks and fighter jets, you can attack its factory tiles. If Cairo is generating ample currency, its markets are the obvious targets."

Another new feature is active research which allows you to progress through the science tree without spending time researching something you wouldn't want.

"City building isn't the only thing Beech and his team are reworking. There's also what Firaxis is calling "active research." In past Civ games, you often had to research technologies just for the sake of progressing through the science tree. In Civ VI, however, the research system allows for boosts. As Beech described them, these are smaller objectives you can accomplish in order to enhance science development in specific areas."

"We're adding these levels of distinction to the way you settle the world," Beech says. "Each time you settle your first city, start producing food, gold, culture, science, and everything vital to growth, we want it to feel different. We want you to consider your military differently. We want to encourage new approaches. We want it to feel like a new experience each time."

They are essentially striving to make civ 6 be less predictable than previous games and give you more options in terms of how you want to play through each time.

As always i am skeptical about games until they are released and reviews come in. So even though i have been waiting for a new civ game i certainly wont be preordering it. But I personally am very excited as im on my 20th (at least) play through of civ 5 now and it is starting to get stale.

(Screenshots)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/11/three-ways-sid-meiers-civilization-6-radically-reinvents-itself-city-building-science-and-diplomacy

oh yas oh yas

Build Name:

Anton

CPU: I7 4790K

GPU: ZOTAC RTX 2060 SUPER AMP EXTREME

RAM: 16GB 1600MHZ

MOBO: MSI H81M-E33

CASE: COOLER MASTER N300

PSU: THERMALTAKE 600 WATT

STORAGE: TOTAL 6.5TB, 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO BOOT DRIVE, 2TB HDD 1, 2TB HDD 2, 2TB WESTERN DIGITAL USB 3.0 BACKUP DRIVE

- CRACK!

I'd love to get excited, but I was excited about Civ 5, which wasn't so bad but I love to play this with my wife and simply put, the multiplayer on Civ 5 is non-existent.

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

Samsung 850 Pro 512Gb | WD Black 4TB | Corsair AX1200i

1 hour ago, brighttail said:

I'd love to get excited, but I was excited about Civ 5, which wasn't so bad but I love to play this with my wife and simply put, the multiplayer on Civ 5 is non-existent.

yeah a good multiplayer would be nice 

Multiplayer would take forever, I only do it with diehard close friends. :)

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

2 minutes ago, VinsinityKT said:

it would be good for lan parties 

2 hours ago, Maybach123 said:

(Screenshots)

I hope they improve the ground and unit textures.  WAY too cartoony

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

Cool, but... Is this considered tech news? It's just a game announcement. Unless they're using new technologies or if they're applying unique development methods, I don't think this really belongs in this section of the forum? There's a PC Gaming thread for that.

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

After creaming my pants several times in a row from this news, I pre ordered the Digital Deluxe with a discounted Steam controller.

Linus is my fetish.

Also this is no lie - I've had dreams of building city improvements and wonders on tiles rather than just boringly stacking them all in the city tile.

Firaxis have somehow entered and stolen my dreams, and made them into reality.

Linus is my fetish.

So for those of you who dont know - the way the city buildings now work is via districts that you build on tiles. In the second and third screenshots you can see blue building on a tile, and in the third pink buildings. Blue is a science district called a Campus, which can hold a Library, University and Research Institute, and gains science bonuses if placed next to mountains or jungle. The pink one is a culture district, and likewise holds culture buildings. Also announced are harbor and military camp districts. The latter adds a huge tactical bonus by providing a heavy fort with bombardment / defense bonuses outside your city tile, so will be most useful built near cities which border the AI.

Also you get research bonuses based on what you focus in, so build more harbor districts + boats gives you discounts on seafaring techs. Also having access to stone and making a special builder unit gives you discount towards masonry. This makes each game distinct in scientific research, as you get bonuses based on your map and what districts / buildings you focus in. So if you get a landlocked start with little coastal access, seafaring techs are gonna cost a lot more, and also wouldnt help you much so you arent going to want to research those. If you build several military camps, you get more discounts towards military techs, so if you want to focus on military, you dont actually need to invest too much in making campuses, as military camps will make the techs you want cheaper.

This seems to add a lot of tactical depth, and a lot more variance between different games than in earlier Civ games, where you would typically just research and build everything. 

Linus is my fetish.

I can't wait, and will likely be buying it. Sadly, the art style looks like total ass, far too "mobile gaming" for me. I'd prefer to stick with Civ 5's graphics, all gritty and realistic like. I do like the sound of multiptile cities, although cities used to expand to at least visually cover more than one tile. And if they can fix multiplayer, this will be awesome.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

Europa Universalis 4 / Crusader Kings 2 / Stellaris are so much better than this... so .. yeah. not gonna bother. 

22 minutes ago, Rangaman42 said:

I can't wait, and will likely be buying it. Sadly, the art style looks like total ass, far too "mobile gaming" for me. I'd prefer to stick with Civ 5's graphics, all gritty and realistic like. I do like the sound of multiptile cities, although cities used to expand to at least visually cover more than one tile. And if they can fix multiplayer, this will be awesome.

Disagree about the graphics. They look exactly like Civ IV on a hex grid, and Civ IV was superior in every way to Civ V 'Runs like an ass, 2 minutes in between turns endgame on highest end PCs' graphics.

Civ was never meant to be a game about graphics.

Linus is my fetish.

1 minute ago, Bhav said:

Disagree about the graphics. They look exactly like Civ IV on a hex grid, and Civ IV was superior in every way to Civ V 'Runs like an ass, 2 minutes in between turns endgame on highest end PCs' graphics.

The time between turns is more about your PC's ability to process all the AI units around the world. I don't mind the graphics quality of these screenshots, but I don't like the style they've gone for, too bright and colourful for my taste. But you know, to each his own.

1 minute ago, Rangaman42 said:

The time between turns is more about your PC's ability to process all the AI units around the world. I don't mind the graphics quality of these screenshots, but I don't like the style they've gone for, too bright and colourful for my taste. But you know, to each his own.

You know about mods right?

Wont be long before someone comes up with a blue marble remake for this, just like Civ IV.

Linus is my fetish.

since this releasing for linux too at the same time and given what the dev has said they are probably gonna use vulkan to target windows and linux simultaneously

http://steamcommunity.com/app/226860/discussions/1/617336568065171463/?ctp=9#c598198356164953482

I guess since they already ship their games on Linux and their engine already supports mantle on windows this is the logical progression for their tech.

2 minutes ago, Bhav said:

You know about mods right?

Wont be long before someone comes up with a blue marble remake for this, just like Civ IV.

Good point, a nice texture mod and maybe some sort of shader and I'll be happy. Aside from the art style, I'm really looking forward to this game.

3 minutes ago, Bhav said:

The game does have good graphics, not extraordinary ones, but good nonetheless. He was rather complaining about the new art style. It's subjective, and in the end it's up to the devs to chose what art direction they want to go with.

I, myself, don't have any issue with this more cartoon-ish style. It does kinda remind me of mobile games, which I don't have fond memories of, but it looks ok. You can easily make out individual units, so it's functional, and it looks somewhat pleasant. I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

people complaining abou the cartoony look when this was one of the most beautiful RTS i've ever played

latest?cb=20111024233710

and the only reason i'm playing Age3/2 is because some backwater, shady company run by snakes and ants decided that it was a good idea to shut it down

Anyway on topic: i hope gandhi nuke master is there nuking everyone to hell 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

9 hours ago, Syfes said:

Cool, but... Is this considered tech news? It's just a game announcement. Unless they're using new technologies or if they're applying unique development methods, I don't think this really belongs in this section of the forum? There's a PC Gaming thread for that.

VR support?

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

99% chance I'm waiting for GOTY, and I hope my Surface can run it [and Touch Support that works!!], but god damn those graphics are gorgeous. I'm stoked.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

From what I have read I am super excited for this. Also because I didn't expect a new civ game for at least 18 months or more.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

10 hours ago, VinsinityKT said:

Same here.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4