[Rumor] AMD polaris might be presented after computex

samcool55

With Nvidia recently announcing their cards and AMD rumored to announce their line-up soon.

According to new rumors they might be presented after Computex and not before Computex as other rumors said.

The reason of the delay is for this moment unknown, what the rumor does say however is that this is causing a lot of frustration with board partners.

The main reason of the frustration by the board partners is that they miss a lot of possible publicity because they can't show off the new cards with their custom coolers.

Again it's a rumor and no idea if this one is true, but if this one is indeed right i'll be quite disappointed.

This won't only be bad news for AMD, but also for their board partners and the AMD fans.

For now i'm going with the rumor that they will present it before Computex and calling this one false, but that's just a guess.

Sources: dutch: http://be.hardware.info/nieuws/47927/polaris-komt-te-laat-voor-computex-release-in-juni

swedish: http://www.nordichardware.se/nyheter/grafikkort/frustration-och-osakerhet-hos-amd-partners-infor-polaris.html

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

All aboard the hype train, next stop is excitement station on anticipation street!

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

1 minute ago, FirstArmada said:

http://wccftech.com/amd-polaris-10-polaris-11-launch-event/

Wccf suggests that press invites have already been sent out for an event scheduled for before Computex 

True and even tho it is WCCFtech, this one is probably right. At least i hope so, if Polaris gets presented after computex it will be a bad thing for amd and their board partners.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

True and even tho it is WCCFtech, this one is probably right. At least i hope so, if Polaris gets presented after computex it will be a bad thing for amd and their board partners.

Kitguru also reported on it 

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/matthew-wilson/amd-reportedly-launching-polaris-gpus-this-month/

3 minutes ago, FirstArmada said:

Then the one i posted is probably incorrect, it would be better for everyone that they will present them before computex.

4 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Then the one i posted is probably incorrect, it would be better for everyone that they will present them before computex.

Yeah , the sooner the better but we just have to wait and see :) 

Maybe they should start selling the 490 and 490x on the first of June? This way, the 490 would start selling before the 1070 (if the 490 was competing against the 1070 and the 490x competing against the 1080) allowing a 7 day headstart which is quite a sizable gap :P as these people who are selling their GPUs for Pascal to me feel like 7 days is more than enough for them to switch over to AMD :) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Im very keen on a polaris 490/x with a 21:9 freesync monitor.

- snip-

Yeah odd they won't be at computex. Maybe they want it to be more of their thing when showing new hqrdware :)

But yeah, they need publicity and all.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

source: https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/polaris-validation-failed-might-launch-in-october-now,2.html

some reports say Polaris 10 can't hit 850 MHz reliably and that availability will be pushed back to October.

before you jump and say zmeul did it again, hear me

this is not the 1st time I read this and it comes in different shapes http://nl.hardware.info/nieuws/47927/polaris-komt-te-laat-voor-computex-release-in-juni - this morning I was reluctant to post it, and I didn't

what I originally heard is that AMD's AIB partners are upset at AMD because there won't be any cards at Computex, they didn't gave a reason

but, this is the 1st time I hear that the reason behind it is failing to reach expected clock speeds

this might explain why my assessment of Polaris 10 would be in the 380(X) ballpark of performance and not in 390(X) - every leak so far, about Polaris 10, put it's compute capabilities around 380X or slightly higher

Reports say Polaris 10 can't hit 850 MHz reliably

I really hope this isn't true, because if it is, AMD will have a tough time explaining this to the board members - and this will severely shake their already small footprint on the computer graphics market

The first line of the article, I suggest waiting until the Macau event and Computex for real answers.

Okay before I start on this news-item, I really need to state that this is based on a vague rumor, nothing has been confirmed or denied otherwise.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

It's based on one random forum post somewhere. If AMD is going to launch Polaris at computex, it makes sense for AIB's to not have cards ready to show (after all they would leak all over the place).

Obviously I don't know if this is true or not, but I hope not. Just look how expensive the 1080 is. The 780 was 500$ launch, the 980 was 550$ and now the 1080 is 600$ (or 700$ for reference card). This is the same series. It's pathetic.

However we will NOT see AMD cards running 2000mhz, as their architectures are focused on IPC, not high clock rates, so it really isn't comparable. But if this is true, it sounds like GloFo/Samsung has huge issues with their node for high performance.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

14 minutes ago, zMeul said:

before you jump and say zmeul did it again, hear me

Literally, the first thought that popped into my head

"If you ain't first, you're last"

16 minutes ago, Notional said:

However we will NOT see AMD cards running 2000mhz, as their architectures are focused on IPC, not high clock rates, so it really isn't comparable.

While it's true that clock speed isn't everything, 14nm has enabled chip makers using it to make a chip that clocks higher than the previous process- Samsung, Apple, Intel, Qualcomm, and nVidia. AMD not being able to hit such a low clock speed target is strange to say the least. 

1 minute ago, kurahk7 said:

While it's true that clock speed isn't everything, 14nm has enabled chip makers using it to make a chip that clocks higher than the previous process- Samsung, Apple, Intel, Qualcomm, and nVidia. AMD not being able to hit such a low clock speed target is strange to say the least. 

Indeed. Looking at the 1080, it will have 50-60% clock rate increase (if OC'd). I believe Polaris could be around 1500mhz standard and maybe 1700 OC'd. Not being able to run even 900mhz makes NO sense.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Sounds a bit fishy. 1000 Mhz should be easier at 14nm, plus AMD has been demonstrating their polaris cards for a while now so it seems unlikely.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

2 minutes ago, Carclis said:

AMD has been demonstrating their polaris cards for a while now so it seems unlikely.

what AMD demonstrated was cherry picked chips and not the finished product

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

Source? 

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

9 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Source? 

It was a marketing team that put together the presentation...

That said, I'm still skeptical on this rumor, considering it's just a couple posts from overclock.net

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

2 hours ago, zMeul said:

It was only a matter of time before you would say something like this wasn't it? :P

Anyway, even if they used a cherry picked one back then, i think it's safe to say it won't be as special if you would compare it by the cards when they get released.

Yields and stuff will be improved by then and more chips will be similar to the demo gpu.

I will honestly be suprised if the demo they showed isn't possible to reproduce on the average card with the same specs.

Isn't this that same rumour that was sourced from:

A reddit poster reported on a rumour, with a massive "pinch of salt" warning due to it coming from a forum poster with no post history

Nordic Hardware reported on the rumour

Everybody pounces on the click-bait title now that a fairly reputable site reported on the unsubstantiated rumour, and didn't repost the "this really is only a rumour" message.

The internet then decided it was true

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II