Controlling your case fans speed level?

ingoi
Go to solution Solved by Cyracus,

I was mistaken, it does have a fan tuning program, it's just...ugh follow link, pick os from the list and download A-tuning utility http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97%20Anniversary/?cat=Download  here's documentation on the utility that may help http://www.manualslib.com/manual/697082/Asrock-Z97-Extreme4.html?page=46 still find Asrock to be a huge pain. But Asus, Gigabyte and Msi have fan tuning utilities, just off the top of my head

So I recently bought some new case fans but they are a bit loud so I want to turn down the speed levelsince it really doesn't need to be going that fast. Can you name me some programs that can control speed levels? So far I know of two methods SpeedFan and manually going into bios. Speedfan unfortunately doesn't work as the fans never get listed

My fans are a 3 pin connector

MotherBoard    MB ASROCK Z97 ANNIVERSARY R    

I use speed fan and don't have issues with it. Did you watch a tutorial? It can be kinda complicated at first and won't work until you change a few things. 

26 minutes ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

I use speed fan and don't have issues with it. Did you watch a tutorial? It can be kinda complicated at first and won't work until you change a few things. 

I have not, can you link me one?

EDIT

So tryed it again speedfan doesn't give me a option to slow down fan

a.JPG

Edited by ingoi

14 minutes ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

you can control 3 pin fans? i thought that was only for 4 pin

speedfan doesn't always work, but you can try the beta, see if it helps.  Asrock, ugh, smash with hammer. get a mobo that has a program for this

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

1 hour ago, Cyracus said:

speedfan doesn't always work, but you can try the beta, see if it helps.  Asrock, ugh, smash with hammer. get a mobo that has a program for this

I'll keep that in mind next time I buy another motherboard, what would I be looking for the in motherboards specifications to know that it can accept the program though?

Have you made curves in advanced settings? Speedfan needs bit more than adjusting sliders in main screen. I would link my own way but on mobile atm. There's good guide by one member here too.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On May 11, 2016 at 7:45 PM, ingoi said:

I'll keep that in mind next time I buy another motherboard, what would I be looking for the in motherboards specifications to know that it can accept the program though?

My msi mobo came with command Cerberus utility which allows me to manually change fans and set fan curves. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

I was mistaken, it does have a fan tuning program, it's just...ugh follow link, pick os from the list and download A-tuning utility http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97%20Anniversary/?cat=Download  here's documentation on the utility that may help http://www.manualslib.com/manual/697082/Asrock-Z97-Extreme4.html?page=46 still find Asrock to be a huge pain. But Asus, Gigabyte and Msi have fan tuning utilities, just off the top of my head

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

On 5/10/2016 at 3:42 PM, DominicNikon said:

you can control 3 pin fans? i thought that was only for 4 pin

Yes, you can. DC and PWM are just different ways of powering the fan with PWM allowing for a larger range of rpm's and more torque. 

1 hour ago, Cyracus said:

Asrock's fan tuning is easily better than Gigabyte's or Msi's with more flexibility for fan speeds. I specifically recommend avoiding Gigabyte motherboards if you want fine tuning for fans since they've practically removed actual custom fan control options with their latest boards. 

The z97 Anniversary should have no issue controlling fan speeds through the motherboard settings or SpeedFan.

When using SpeedFan, make sure to enable manual control in the Advanced tab, set target temps for each fan in the Temperature tab, and your % rpm range in the Speed tab. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 5/10/2016 at 6:39 PM, ingoi said:

I have not, can you link me one?

EDIT

So tryed it again speedfan doesn't give me a option to slow down fan

a.JPG

Looks like you're trying to manually adjust fan speed. You can do that by deselecting the "Automatic Fan Speed" box at the top, and you'll have the equivalent of a hardware fan controller. SpeedFan is better utilized by setting up curves for each fan, though. It's a bear to set up, and YouTube is definitely your friend, but it's so, so worth it when all is said and done.

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

I specifically recommend avoiding Gigabyte motherboards if you want fine tuning for fans since they've practically removed actual custom fan control options with their latest boards.

Couldn't help but laugh at this. Were it not for SpeedFan, I'm not sure that I could survive my Gigabyte mobo.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.