Advent of 1080 and 1070 - examples of panic sellers

New GPU unvailed! - 10 times faster than light, 10 times bigger than life, 10 times more efficient than Tesla Model 3 and 10 times sexier and Oscar-worthy than Leaonardo DiCaprio himself (not to mention 10 times more leather jackets on stage and 10 times better in VR).

Now that everyone is hyped to the point where most people would have to see GPs if it lasts 4 hours or longer, what are the examples of panic sellers you have come across in the past couple of days?

I have already seen a pair of 980s on eBay sold for less than 280 GBP each, while the prices were around 350 two weeks ago (I am checking as I was thinking of running 980 SLI)

Anotehr one was MSI GF 980Ti for 465 GBP - a drop from nearly 600 over the past week (that one is NEW).

EVGA GF 980Ti Reference cooler for 440 GBP.

Another EVGA GF 980Ti (used) with an auction starting at 150 GBP.

EVGA 980Ti classified with initial bid of 100 GBP.

Do you have any examples yourselves? :)

People need to exercise critical thinking when it comes to NVIDIA's claims about Pascal. Seriously. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

i intend on donating my 980 to my gf, she needs to upgrade from her gtx760.

However, im waiting on board partners bringing out their cards, no way am i getting a card on release day again after the farse with the 980..

EDI: <i7 4970k, Corsair h110, 8gb avexir 2133 DDR3, ASUS Z97-AR, EVGA GTX980, Kingston Hyper x 128gh boot drive, 1.5tb of random mass storage drives> 
Peripherals: <RAZER Naga epic, Corsair K95/RAZER Deathstalker Ultimate>
Laptop(Leigon): MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 4k
Phones: <One Plus X, Sony Xperia Z, Moto X(2013) Huawei Nexus 6P

I knew this huge price drop was gonna happen. Over the weekend of the announcement the used prices dropped from €600-650 to €400-450. That's why I sold my 980 ti mid april for €430+GTX 780 (which I should still be able to sell for over €200).

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

1 minute ago, tomaatvk said:

I knew this huge price drop was gonna happen. Over the weekend of the announcement the used prices dropped from €600-650 to €400-450. That's why I sold my 980 ti mid april for €430+GTX 780 (which I should still be able to sell for over €200).

Well, I bought my 980 two months ago.... :P

Everyone heard twice as fast as Titan X (in VR) and decided that is the only thing that matters. There are an incredible amount of 970s on Ebay now. It is pretty funny. I personally am content with my R9 390 until I see what Polaris has to offer. 

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

While I'm still sitting here with my 2 290x and I know that I've lost no more than 25% of their initial value as I bought them for 200 pounds each (back in 2014, both new in box with the cellophane wrappers and seals intact on both boxes :D) and I can still get like 180 each for them...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

15 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

People need to exercise critical thinking when it comes to NVIDIA's claims about Pascal. Seriously. 

Yeah I mean on average I bet its only 20-30% better at most for most games

its not like you will be getting 200fps in 4k in AA titles or anything

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

While I'm still sitting here with my 2 290x and I know that I've lost no more than 25% of their initial value as I bought them for 200 pounds each (back in 2014, both new in box with the cellophane wrappers and seals intact on both boxes :D) and I can still get like 180 each for them...

Tbh, I have no idea if 200 for each is/was a good price or not... I am an nVidia child... I haven't owned a singled AMD (ATI back in the day) card ever...

lol im here just waiting to see if its worth it . looking at it im not even  sure. i wanna max games again at 1440p so aq 980ti is capable and i also want watercooling so i have a feeling the 2x is a load of crap but it should bump down the prices of other cards so if i dont like it i could just go for a cheeaper .

as for the cheapness seems aussies arent aboard the hype train yet 

1 minute ago, InsanelySecretD said:

Tbh, I have no idea if 200 for each is/was a good price or not... I am an nVidia child... I haven't owned a singled AMD (ATI back in the day) card ever...

Well let's see...2x290x reference for £400 together... vs a single 780 custom cooled for £400...oh wait...a single 290x beats the 780 so...no brainer no? Also both of em would not go past 75c gaming with 50% on top card and 40% fan speed on bottom :D

2 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Yeah I mean on average I bet its only 20-30% better at most for most games

its not like you will be getting 200fps in 4k in AA titles or anything

I only now realized... We are talking about the performance difference between the 9 series and 10 series... But noone has pointed out how riddiculous that leather jacket was!!!

Also, 20 - 30% is kind of ok, but with what nVidia said, people can either say it is an icnrease of as low as 10% and as high as 200%... Hype is real anyway.

Also, 20 - 30% is kind of ok, but with what nVidia said, people can either say it is an icnrease of as low as 10% and as high as 200%... Hype is real anyway.

Without any figures there are really no ways of knowing, we just dont have the benchmarks to prove

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Without any figures there are really no ways of knowing, we just dont have the benchmarks to prove

inb4 some numpty brings up the ashes benchie again...

Seeing a fair few more 970/980/980Ti's around the interwebs since the announcement.

May pick up some cheap 2nd handers if the price is right.

GTX970/980 for a media rig that can game... I'd be down for that for a few hundred dollars or less.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

a

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

1 minute ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Seeing a fair few more 970/980/980Ti's around the interwebs since the announcement.

May pick up some cheap 2nd handers if the price is right.

GTX970/980 for a media rig that can game... I'd be down for that for a few hundred dollars or less.

A 980ti in my second machine...would not be too bad if I can get my hands on one for less than 250 (probably not happening :/)

Just doing it to give you an impression you are a fortune-teller! (:P)

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-dx12-benchmarks/

it's an increase of 5 fps compared to the fury x but more importantly, it's still not passed 60fps... 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

it's an increase of 5 fps compared to the fury x but more importantly, it's still not passed 60fps... 

I've heard rumors of NDA lifting on 17th May, so one more week and we will know for sure... Also, I don't like the Fury X - it sounds scary... Same goes for Titan - I think they should go for something more appealing, like Mr Bubbles... or Cardy McCardface (twin brother to Boaty McBoatface :)

45 minutes ago, InsanelySecretD said:

New GPU unvailed! - 10 times faster than light, 10 times bigger than life, 10 times more efficient than Tesla Model 3 and 10 times sexier and Oscar-worthy than Leaonardo DiCaprio himself (not to mention 10 times more leather jackets on stage and 10 times better in VR).

Now that everyone is hyped to the point where most people would have to see GPs if it lasts 4 hours or longer, what are the examples of panic sellers you have come across in the past couple of days?

I have already seen a pair of 980s on eBay sold for less than 280 GBP each, while the prices were around 350 two weeks ago (I am checking as I was thinking of running 980 SLI)

Anotehr one was MSI GF 980Ti for 465 GBP - a drop from nearly 600 over the past week (that one is NEW).

EVGA GF 980Ti Reference cooler for 440 GBP.

Another EVGA GF 980Ti (used) with an auction starting at 150 GBP.

EVGA 980Ti classified with initial bid of 100 GBP.

Do you have any examples yourselves? :)

latest?cb=20130110184236

8 minutes ago, InsanelySecretD said:

I've heard rumors of NDA lifting on 17th May, so one more week and we will know for sure... Also, I don't like the Fury X - it sounds scary... Same goes for Titan - I think they should go for something more appealing, like Mr Bubbles... or Cardy McCardface (twin brother to Boaty McBoatface :)

I had this exact same conversation yesterday but to name the AMD cards Olympians so it's Zeus vs titans...they would truly titan killers :DDDDDDD 

12 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

I had this exact same conversation yesterday but to name the AMD cards Olympians so it's Zeus vs titans...they would truly titan killers :DDDDDDD 

Even better... name their line-up after characters from Attack on titan :D

I'm not falling for nVidia's propaganda. I'll wait to see what AMD has to offer then make a smart buying decision.

Alas, people don't always think logically.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

10 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

I'm not falling for nVidia's propaganda. I'll wait to see what AMD has to offer then make a smart buying decision.

Alas, people don't always think logically.

They never think logically - this is why they trusted a guy in a leather jacket.