Used 980 or Gtx 1070?

Assuming there is a shift in prices on the used market what do you reccomend. I play at 1080 60hz with an i5 4590

Wait, save and get the GTX 1070. Its more powerful than a Titan X and is only $370ish on release..

Wait for real-world benchmarks of Nvidia and AMD's new cards come out, then your wallet can make the final decision for you.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

1070 by far

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Wait for real world results. Don't fall for the hype.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

8 minutes ago, megaant4 said:

Wait, save and get the GTX 1070. Its more powerful than a Titan X and is only $370ish on release..

Huh? The 1070 is not gonna outperform a stock 980 Ti, much less a Titan X.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

4 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Did you watch the presentations? It's already out specs the Titan X, and even though Nvidia's benchmarks are cherry picked it's still going to out perform it.

18 minutes ago, megaant4 said:

That's the 1080, we don't know much about the 1070 yet

13 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

8 minutes ago, megaant4 said:

Did you watch the presentations? It's already out specs the Titan X, and even though Nvidia's benchmarks are cherry picked it's still going to out perform it.

Wasn't it that the 1080 was two times better than the Titan X at VR games, but only 10% better at other stuff?

I highly doubt the 1070 will outperform the Titan X, or it will just cost way more than 350-400 USD

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, jkeasley said:

That's the 1080, we don't know much about the 1070 yet

Nah the 1080 is more powerful than two 980's in SLI and is 2x more powerful than the Titan X. But The GTX1070 is also more powerful than the Titan X. 

1 minute ago, megaant4 said:

Nah the 1080 is more powerful than two 980's in SLI and is 2x more powerful than the Titan X. But The GTX1070 is also more powerful than the Titan X. 

According to Nvidia themselves. Wait for benchmarks before saying for certain. I believe embargo for GTX 1080 reviews is the 17th May, so we'll have a good idea at that point.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

There is no way in hell the 1070 is going to get outperformed by a 980. I'd take the better than Titan X presentation with a grain of salt until we see benchmarks, but a Titan X is 30% more powerful than a 980 at 1440p and no way even Nvidia would fudge that boldface a lie.

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Wasn't it that the 1080 was two times better than the Titan X at VR games, but only 10% better at other stuff?

I highly doubt the 1070 will outperform the Titan X, or it will just cost way more than 350-400 USD

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

There is no way in hell the 1070 is going to get outperformed by a 980. I'd take the better than Titan X presentation with a grain of salt until we see benchmarks, but a Titan X is 30% more powerful than a 980 at 1440p and no way even Nvidia would fudge that big a lie.

1 minute ago, TheCaptain53 said:

According to Nvidia themselves. Wait for benchmarks before saying for certain. I believe embargo for GTX 1080 reviews is the 17th May, so we'll have a good idea at that point.

Just watch the Nvidia's release presentations and google it yourself. They state that the GTX1070 is as/more powerful than a Titan X at stock speeds.
Of course we won't know for sure what performance will be until it is actually released and we can benchmark it, 

5 minutes ago, megaant4 said:

Nah it's 1.5x more powerful than the titan x

19 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Nvidia said both 1070 and 1080 outperform Titan X. I get we can't take their word but if that's the case then the 1080 might suck as well. 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

Just now, megaant4 said:

Just watch the Nvidia's release presentations and google it yourself. They state that the GTX1070 is as/more powerful than a Titan X at stock speeds.
Of course we won't know for sure what performance will be until it is actually released and we can benchmark it, 

It would be a really shitty 70 series card if it doesn't at least catch the Titan X after a node shrink. Even the GTX 660 Ti was on par with the GTX 580, and 580 was the Titan class card on Fermi. So I think it's more likely than not that it does edge Titan X out. But damn it looks like they have cut this card down a lot vs the 80, moreso than any other 70 series card I can think of.

2 minutes ago, afyeung said:

Or people should shut up and wait to see actual performance metrics before making suggestions.

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

Or people should shut up and wait to see actual performance metrics before making suggestions.

True. At this point I don't think anybody should be picking up a new card in the $300+ range until more info

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

Agreed, let's just wait for actually performance graphs from the all mighty Linus and then we can compare and make suggestions. But for now just wait.

34 minutes ago, IncompetentProdigy said:

-snip-