2 GTX 1070s or 1 GTX 1080?

5 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

The resolution naming is getting a bit convoluted so it's totally understandable. 720/1080/1440  refer to the vertical height in pixels, the 'K' resolutions 2K/4K/5K/8K refer to the horizontal width in pixels. IMO, the 'p' is useless at this point as it differentiated between interlaced (1080i for example) or progressive (720p) scan lines; everything is pretty much progressive scan now. It's not 4Kp :P

And yeah, obviously wait for  the 1070 reviews/benchmarks, but if you're impatient, you can get an idea of the range of performance. Personally, I'm going to get a 1070 towards the mid/end of summer, with the plans of upgrading to a 1080Ti the following year (should the performance gains be really worth it). I'm rocking a 780 now and 3GB of VRAM just ain't cutting it anymore.

Yeah, I currently have a nvidia 650Ti and can't even run CSGO on low settings at above 100fps consistently. I have a $800 monitor (bit too much) the acer XB270HU with 1440p, G-Sync etc so a nice graphics card would be pleasurable alongside it. 

When you say you'd "upgrade" to the TI are you saying replace the 1070 or just add it into the setup?

4 minutes ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

When you say you'd "upgrade" to the TI are you saying replace the 1070 or just add it into the setup?

Replace the 1070. I'm working on getting together a streaming rig. My 780 will go in there when I get a 1070. Then the 1070 goes to the streaming build if/when the 1080Ti comes along.

56 minutes ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

It might be more money, although if it is far better performance for buck why would you bother getting the single? (if it has none of these issues etc)

True. I'd just wait for the benchmarks and then see :). There's bound to be some multi GPU benchmarks.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

In theory 2 1070s should perform better than single 1080.

But I would wait for benchmarks first :) 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

2 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

But that GDDR5x memory tho

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

44 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Based on today's cards, that would be more or less correct depending on personal preferences. Multi-GPU configurations come with some negatives along with increased performance.

Our problem is that too much is changing to rely on the old conventional wisdom without first benchmarking. We are even getting a "New SLI". Will New SLI fix some or all the problems with SLI or is it going to be like New Coke? We don't know. It is simple as that.

If the OP cannot wait, then go with a 1080 as soon as it becomes available. If the OP can wait long enough to consider putting two 1070's in SLI, then wait a few more days to see what the reviewers say.

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."

6 minutes ago, gcubed said:

Based on today's cards, that would be more or less correct depending on personal preferences. Multi-GPU configurations come with some negatives along with increased performance.

Our problem is that too much is changing to rely on the old conventional wisdom without first benchmarking. We are even getting a "New SLI". Will New SLI fix some or all the problems with SLI or is it going to be like New Coke? We don't know. It is simple as that.

If the OP cannot wait, then go with a 1080 as soon as it becomes available. If the OP can wait long enough to consider putting two 1070's in SLI, then wait a few more days to see what the reviewers say.

OP?

Also I am certainly in no rush to waste money, I will do research first for sure before considering a dual setup just wondering about people's ideas.

1 minute ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

OP?

Also I am certainly in no rush to waste money, I will do research first for sure before considering a dual setup just wondering about people's ideas.

OP = Original Post or in this context, Original Poster. For this thread, that would be you . :P

Personally, I am in the planning stages for a new system. It is my intention on having bragging rights, so will intentionally be an over-build (i.e. stupid waste of money). For gfx I would like to know what Team Red has up their sleeve before I decide. I DO have a fondness for Nvidia though so will probably wind up with them, but that isn't certain.

Since construction isn't going to start for a couple of months, I am toying with the idea of a single 1070 and waiting for the Titan 10's/1080TI's (or whatever they are going to be called) and Vega, before I get stupid.

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."

3 minutes ago, gcubed said:

OP = Original Post or in this context, Original Poster. For this thread, that would be you . :P

Personally, I am in the planning stages for a new system. It is my intention on having bragging rights, so will intentionally be an over-build (i.e. stupid waste of money). For gfx I would like to know what Team Red has up their sleeve before I decide. I DO have a fondness for Nvidia though so will probably wind up with them, but that isn't certain.

Since construction isn't going to start for a couple of months, I am toying with the idea of a single 1070 and waiting for the Titan 10's/1080TI's (or whatever they are going to be called) and Vega, before I get stupid.

fair enough, when do you expect them to come out? I could possibly do the same and run a dual system off of a 1070 then something else if needed (current games I'm playing such as CSGO and h1z1 I'm sure will handle just fine on single 1070) if I decide to play ark etc, then I'll go with an upgrade. (also what do you think about Battlefield 1, will I be able to run max graphics 1440p over 100fps with the 1070? (my aim is to run games max and perfect really)

We don't know much about the 1070 right now. From what we do know, it seems more cut down than previous 70 series cards have been vs their 80 series counterparts. Based on the graph from the launch event, Nvidia is advertising 22% more performance than a Titan X for 1080 and slightly more performance than a Titan X for a 1070, whereas the delta between a 980 and 970 at launch was about +13% for the 980, and 680 beat 670 by only 8%, based on the techpowerup testsuite of games at 1080p and 1200p. Even 780 was only 15% stronger than 770 in the techpowerup testsuite at 770 launch, and the 780 was the big Kepler chip GK110 (very cut down though) while the 770 was the more midrange Kepler chip (GK104) with an overclock vs what it was at when sold as the 680.

7 hours ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

Judging by the prices, it seems that 2 1070s would only be slightly cheaper than 1 1080. Therefore I'm considering getting 2 1070s, a wise choice or not?

I don't really know anything about transistors and how the electronical circuits work on GPUs. Just taking the assumption it would be worth it.

Also any thoughts if prices will drop a few weeks after release (I mean they're very cheap now but generally products go down right)?

Any responses would be much appreciated! Very excited for this summer with a new GPU in hand after my exams :)

Just wait, we know nothing about these cards currently, there have been no reviews nor third party benchmarks. Not to mention I dont think that buying Pascal before the release of Polaris is a good move, especially as Polaris' announcement/release is probably very soon, I betting the next few months, and some of Polaris will be on 14nm (some I imagine lower end cards will be 16nm), wheras Pascal is all on 16nm so it could mean AMD stay ahead in terms of performance. I cannot emphasise more, to just wait, we know nothing, you know nothing, it is not buying with all facts known.

3 hours ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

I do mean 1440p, I thought they were the same apologies. Good idea, although I can simply wait for 1070 benchmarks alternatively to get an exact value.

If the 1070 is really stronger than a Titan X, a single one should do 1440p 60 Hz very well. The 980 Ti does a great job in 1440p right now.

3 hours ago, Omon_Ra said:

It's not 4Kp :P

They do the peanuts, right?

13 minutes ago, ResonantPixel said:

Just wait, we know nothing about these cards currently, there have been no reviews nor third party benchmarks. Not to mention I dont think that buying Pascal before the release of Polaris is a good move, especially as Polaris' announcement/release is probably very soon, I betting the next few months, and some of Polaris will be on 14nm (some I imagine lower end cards will be 16nm), wheras Pascal is all on 16nm so it could mean AMD stay ahead in terms of performance. I cannot emphasise more, to just wait, we know nothing, you know nothing, it is not buying with all facts known.

It depends on what AMD mean by "mainstream". To my mind, mainstream means 380/960 tier. If, however, they are just using it to mean "not Fury and not Titan" then the 1080 would also be mainstream and Polaris would be directly competing with this card. However if their definition of mainstream coincides with mine, then Polaris is going to be much more budget and in particular mobile orientated.

14 minutes ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

fair enough, when do you expect them to come out? I could possibly do the same and run a dual system off of a 1070 then something else if needed (current games I'm playing such as CSGO and h1z1 I'm sure will handle just fine on single 1070) if I decide to play ark etc, then I'll go with an upgrade. (also what do you think about Battlefield 1, will I be able to run max graphics 1440p over 100fps with the 1070? (my aim is to run games max and perfect really)

Well, according to AMD, Vega is suppose to ship very late this year or very early next year.

As a wild assed guess I would expect the next Titan around the end of 3d quarter this year or possible in the 4th quarter. The TI's I expect in the 4th quarter this year or the first next year. I want to emphasize that these are just wild guesses on my part since Mr. Huang has refused to talk to me ever since that incident with his daughter that involved myself, two circus clowns, a goat and a wheel of cheese. :P

13 minutes ago, ResonantPixel said:

AMD says they're releasing Polaris in June, and AMD Roy is saying their goal with Polaris 10 isn't the high end, but expanding the number of people with VR ready PCs. He claimed it will be a mainstream card to ArsTechnica, and they have long been talking about it bringing VR to the masses. The chance of it competing with the 1080 is virtually none and Titan X level performance is almost certainly off the table too unless AMD Roy was just lying his ass off. I find it really hard to believe a 232mm^2 chip is going to be competitive against GP104.

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

AMD says they're releasing Polaris in June, and AMD Roy is saying their goal with Polaris 10 isn't the high end, but expanding the number of people with VR ready PCs. He claimed it will be a mainstream card to ArsTechnica, and they have long been talking about it bringing VR to the masses. The chance of it competing with the 1080 is virtually none and Titan X level performance is almost certainly off the table too unless AMD Roy was just lying his ass off. I find it really hard to believe a 232mm^2 chip is going to be competitive against GP104.

Well they can compete with the 1080, it would just be a Fiji GPU. Which would bring about its own problems, though. Pushing ahead with HBM 1 on a card that is trying to sell as well as the 970 and 390 is just not going to happen.

2 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

Well they can compete with the 1080, it would just be a Fiji GPU. Which would bring about its own problems, though. Pushing ahead with HBM 1 on a card that is trying to sell as well as the 970 and 390 is just not going to happen.

If Nvidia's hype is true on the 1070 AMD would have to slash prices on the Fury line, and those have to be really expensive GPUs for them to build being nearly 600mm^2, and like you said, with expensive HBM1. And it would still be a class below the 1080 if we assume Nvidia isn't lying about their performance (which is a hell of a big assumption, I realize).

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

True. I'd just wait for the benchmarks and then see :). There's bound to be some multi GPU benchmarks.

Jay is already planning a 3-way setup for the 1080. He hinted that the cards were already on their way to him, so I would assume there will probably be tons of SLI benchmarks in the very near future.

|| i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz || Asus Z370-i || HyperX Fury 32GB @ 2400MHz || Nvidia Titan Xp || 500GB Samsung 950 Pro || Deepcool Captain 240 RGB white || Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX Glass || InWin Aurora fan kit || Corsair RM750x white || Ensourced Customs sleeved extensions || Tesoro Gram Spectrum white || Logitech G603 || 

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

If Nvidia's hype is true on the 1070 AMD would have to slash prices on the Fury line, and those have to be really expensive GPUs for them to build being nearly 600mm^2, and like you said, with expensive HBM1. And it would still be a class below the 1080 if we assume Nvidia isn't lying about their performance (which is a hell of a big assumption, I realize).

I don't think it is a big assumption tbh. Anything but 980 Ti level performance would be nothing short of a complete disaster for Nvidia. AMD would have seen this coming. Focusing Pascal on the mainsteam would leave Fiji around for another generation (oh look more rebrands...). It's no different to what they did last time. The 290X was a massive, powerful and expensive GPU, and it was reincarnated as the 390X, and the 390X was re-imagined as a high end card, rather than absolute top tier.

Fiji is perfectly capable of competing with the 1080 though tbh. It won't surpass it, and it may lag behind a little, but it's not going to be completely decimated and it only has to hold off until GP100 is released, which will be about the same time as Vega, just to keep things interesting.

Oh btw on the topic on hand, if call to authority does anything for you, here's a video of Linus agreeing with my point on 2x1070 > 1x 1080

19 hours ago, ResonantPixel said:

19 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Although considering I have a G-sync 144hz IPS panel monitor I don't think I would be interested in AMD tech. Probably better price for gear (like intel vs AMD?) although I would like to keep the g-sync feature working as it is beautiful and not considering upgrading the monitor considering I got it 8 months ago for like $800

22 hours ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

OP?

In 1 month you will see benchmarks of single and multi 1070/1080 use.

I'm sure there are a lot of people with money, eager to spend it, just to get benchmarks.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB