How to learn all the tech things?

ArizDry

Pretty much the title. I really just want to learn how df to do things when it comes to tech. I just finished building my first PC, so I can do that, and I can find myself compatible parts and the best bang for the buck parts and stuff (oh and I know not to trust sites like cpuboss)

Aside from that whole environment though, I really just want to know how to do other things. Or rather, I want to know what other things I can do on top of programming. I think I can pick up programming through the /r/learnprogramming subreddit on reddit, but I have no idea what to do after I get myself involved with that. There's graphic design and stuff, yeah? How would I get around to learning that?

As well as learning what's inside/how each computer components are made. Generally I just have absolutely no idea where to start.

FYI I'm 14 and my PC is a budget build:

i3-6100

Z170-A (it was on a really good sale so I went for it lol, it was like $50 off or something)

GTX 950

WD Blue 1TB (will prolly get an SSD in the future)

Seasonic S12II 520W

EDIT: Definitely not looking to learn everything in a short amount of time and probably not even in several decades. It's just not possible. I just want to know where to get started so I can figure out where I want to put my time as I age. 

ah, 14 and learning tech. That was me 2 years ago, and I'm still learning every day. Basically, don't overwhelm yourself. You're not going to be able to learn EVERYTHING in a short manner of time. Want to learn graphic design? Take some time to get used to Photoshop, watch a few tutorials, and practice. Want to learn video editing? Same thing. Want to learn some more technical stuff? Fast As Possible is pretty good. Subscribe to a bunch of tech channels, watch their videos. Slowly you'll pick up on a bunch of little things that make up "everything". 2 years of doing this and I'd still consider myself pretty stupid as far as the whole tech scene goes. The best way I've found to learning things are honestly just finding what I have an interest in and watching a bunch of videos, and then actually doing it.

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

1 minute ago, Goldensapling said:

ah, 14 and learning tech. That was me 2 years ago, and I'm still learning every day. Basically, don't overwhelm yourself. You're not going to be able to learn EVERYTHING in a short manner of time. Want to learn graphic design? Take some time to get used to Photoshop, watch a few tutorials, and practice. Want to learn video editing? Same thing. Want to learn some more technical stuff? Fast As Possible is pretty good. Subscribe to a bunch of tech channels, watch their videos. Slowly you'll pick up on a bunch of little things that make up "everything". 2 years of doing this and I'd still consider myself pretty stupid as far as the whole tech scene goes. The best way I've found to learning things are honestly just finding what I have an interest in and watching a bunch of videos, and then actually doing it.

Definitely not expecting to learn everything in any short amount of time and not even in a few decades. That was helpful though.

tech world is quite wide, find something you're interested in and start playing with it lol

its good to start learning from young since it's virtually endless :P

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

There's also computer networking. I feel for you. Ever since I was 14 nearly 8 years ago I've just been expanding my knowledge in every single direction relative to computers, building computers, modding computers, overclocking, web design (coding HTML), programming (JAVA,C++, going into writing my own programs next semester in college), computer networking (building networks, fixing them, setting up servers, remote management, SSH, SFTP, HTTPS, TFTP, DHCP, DNS, VoIP protocols). The computer field is just so huge and despite learning about them for close to 8 years now I can say with assurance that I still haven't even scratched the surface when it comes to everything I could learn. You could easily spend your entire life learning, refining, & evolving your knowledge. Welcome to the world of computers.

3 hours ago, ArizDry said:

I think I can pick up programming through the /r/learnprogramming subreddit on reddit, but I have no idea what to do after I get myself involved with that.

Well since you mentioned programming I have just literally listed out some general theory in this thread. You may like to be making a start with that since it goes deeper into the realms of what it means to be a Software Engineer/Developer?

3 hours ago, ArizDry said:

EDIT: Definitely not looking to learn everything in a short amount of time and probably not even in several decades. It's just not possible. I just want to know where to get started so I can figure out where I want to put my time as I age. 

Don't worry... a lifetime won't be long enough to learn it all.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

1 hour ago, Nuluvius said:

-snip-

Thanks, I'll take a look at that last comment of yours. :)

Just start out with something that interests you a lot, like for me it was photography and PCs and phones. I got a camera and wanted to know how to take better pictures and one thing lead to another and weeks and months pass and then you know things, not because you forced yourself to know them, but because you were curious and it has a purpose to you in everyday life. I keep up to date on tech sites to see whats new and if there is something interesting I'll do a little more research. I would say that most of what I know and learnt, was because I had to know and understand it so solve a problem (ex: fixing pc, taking better pictures, deciding what phone to buy, etc.)

Just keep at it. Subscribe to loads to tech youtubers like Jay, Linus and Joker. Keep reading and helping people on the Forum and most of all don't be afraid to ask questions.

For me it is getting in discussion coming out wrong 9/10 times admitting I'm wrong and repeat.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Technology is a wide subject, pick something you like and research on it.

On a side note: Find a cheap 6600K/6700K in the future and you'll be golden for 3-5 years if Intel continues this "lazy" IPC trend for a mid-high-end gaming PC.

7 hours ago, ArizDry said:

Pretty much the title. I really just want to learn how df to do things when it comes to tech. I just finished building my first PC, so I can do that, and I can find myself compatible parts and the best bang for the buck parts and stuff (oh and I know not to trust sites like cpuboss)

Aside from that whole environment though, I really just want to know how to do other things. Or rather, I want to know what other things I can do on top of programming. I think I can pick up programming through the /r/learnprogramming subreddit on reddit, but I have no idea what to do after I get myself involved with that. There's graphic design and stuff, yeah? How would I get around to learning that?

As well as learning what's inside/how each computer components are made. Generally I just have absolutely no idea where to start.

FYI I'm 14 and my PC is a budget build:

i3-6100

Z170-A (it was on a really good sale so I went for it lol, it was like $50 off or something)

GTX 950

WD Blue 1TB (will prolly get an SSD in the future)

Seasonic S12II 520W

Just go to Lynda.com, where you can learn anything. 

Not sponsored by Lynda.com

;)

With technology you can hope on anytime and learn everything as it develops, its never too late.

"Simple Yet Complex" 

its now the question of how should you stat.... it should be your curiosity of how certain things work that guides you into learning more and more things

OP, I can tell that you are very young and don't know a whole lot about technology yet. It is not as simple as just "learning programming" and then moving on to the next thing. First you must ask yourself what you want to learn, because there is not enough time in your life to learn everything. Technology is an extremely wide field and very deep. You can spend an entire life time learning programming, and another one for networking, a third one for editing, and so on.  You can learn a little about a lot of things, or a lot about a few things.

Just learn whatever you feel like. Do you want to learn programming? Cool. Do that and see what you think of it. If you like it then it can keep you busy for ages.

Want to learn a bit about graphic design? Sure, think of something you want to create and then do it. Experiment and look up tutorials when you run into problem.

Another very important skill that a lot of people these days seem to lack is to Google info. Does your code not work as you intend it to? Do you not know how to use a certain tool in Photoshop? Asking for help should not be the first thing you do. You should search for the problem you got on Google and find a solution that way.

This is important for two reasons.

1) Being able to find help by yourself is a very important skill to have.

2) Being spoonfed custom tailored info for the specific problem you got at this moment will not teach you anything. You need to learn the fundamentals in order to actually become good at something.

15 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

OP, I can tell that you are very young and don't know a whole lot about technology yet. It is not as simple as just "learning programming" and then moving on to the next thing. First you must ask yourself what you want to learn, because there is not enough time in your life to learn everything. Technology is an extremely wide field and very deep. You can spend an entire life time learning programming, and another one for networking, a third one for editing, and so on.  You can learn a little about a lot of things, or a lot about a few things.

Just learn whatever you feel like. Do you want to learn programming? Cool. Do that and see what you think of it. If you like it then it can keep you busy for ages.

Want to learn a bit about graphic design? Sure, think of something you want to create and then do it. Experiment and look up tutorials when you run into problem.

Another very important skill that a lot of people these days seem to lack is to Google info. Does your code not work as you intend it to? Do you not know how to use a certain tool in Photoshop? Asking for help should not be the first thing you do. You should search for the problem you got on Google and find a solution that way.

This is important for two reasons.

1) Being able to find help by yourself is a very important skill to have.

2) Being spoonfed custom tailored info for the specific problem you got at this moment will not teach you anything. You need to learn the fundamentals in order to actually become good at something.

you could in theory learn a lot about everything.

But you'd be studying all the time so you wouldnt be able to get a job, family or have friends (as that would interfere with studying).

just sayin.

2 hours ago, Prysin said:

you could in theory learn a lot about everything.

But you'd be studying all the time so you wouldnt be able to get a job, family or have friends (as that would interfere with studying).

just sayin.

Well one could learn a lot of theory that way. However the problem with theory is that it tends to have second place value once you meet a read word problem. Hence why we have the 'experience trap'.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

OP, I can tell that you are very young and don't know a whole lot about technology yet. It is not as simple as just "learning programming" and then moving on to the next thing.

Not sure where you got that from haha

But thanks