GTX 1080 Founder's edition

XCalinX

Hey guys,

Planning to upgrade my 980 Ti to the 1080 and I was just curious what's the difference between the 'standard' model and nvidia founder edition one? Does the standard one not have the sexy metal shroud cooler, like my 980 ti did? Thanks.

founder edition = aluminum shroud + binned chip for higher overclocks

your 980ti doesnt have a metal shroud, its plastic, just like the regular 1070 and 1080

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

founder edition = aluminum shroud + binned chip for higher overclocks

your 980ti doesnt have a metal shroud, its plastic, just like the regular 1070 and 1080

It's most definitely not plastic.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

7 minutes ago, MegaDave91 said:

It's most definitely not plastic.

you see this grey and black stuff?

GF-Cooler.jpg

its plastic

7 minutes ago, HardwareFoundry said:

Is the Founder Edition limited?

i dont think so, doesnt look like it from all the news about it or what nvidia said at the event

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

its plastic

i dont think so, doesnt look like it from all the news about it or what nvidia said at the event

I have four of those reference coolers from various models, and I've disassembled all of them many times. Every piece of that shroud is metal. The only plastic on the entire thing is the fan.

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

its plastic

Thanks for the visual. I'm quite aware of what a 980ti looks like. It's still a metal shroud. I've had three cards with this shroud and they are metal.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

4 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

I have four of those reference coolers from various models, and I've disassembled all of them many times. Every piece of that shroud is metal. The only plastic on the entire thing is the fan.

is it sandblasted aluminum?

i guess i was mistaken

but yeah the non-founders edition 1k cards wont be machined aluminum like the founders edition

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

i guess i was mistaken

but yeah the non-founders edition 1k cards wont be machined aluminum like the founders edition

The silver is cast aluminum, the black part I'm not sure since it's painted with a rough texture coat.

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

i guess i was mistaken

Source?

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

The silver is cast aluminum, the black part I'm not sure since it's painted with a rough texture coat.

the black part looks the same as the entire shroud on the titan X, and the shroud on the titan X is aluminum too and looks like that

so yeah it most likely is

i wonder what they will use for the 1070 and 1080 regular shrouds then

Spoiler

1 minute ago, MegaDave91 said:

Source?

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

the black part I'm not sure since it's painted with a rough texture coat.

I believe it's magnesium alloy.

I don't care if it is made of metal or not. I think the new design is pretty noice. I just wished that the lights weren't green even when off. RGB or White or Green LED but white text with the option to turn the LED off.

Eh, I guess I'll just have to hope AMD doesn't let me down and if they do. Then I'll just have to hope the EVGA has a nice looking 1070 with a backplate.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

16 hours ago, XCalinX said:

Thanks for the answers guys

POTATO

new news source, confirms everything I said was wrong (or most of it)

here for more info:

http://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/2427-difference-between-gtx-1080-founders-edition-and-reference

Every single instance of “Founder's Edition” can be replaced with the word “Reference,” using previous-gen nomenclature. There is not one difference in its market positioning. They are synonymous. NVidia has replaced its “Reference” name with “Founder's Edition.”

There are not two GTX 1080 models made by nVidia. Only the “Founder's Edition” exists; there is not a cheaper card made by nVidia than the $700 Founder's Edition, which ships first.

Just to be clear: nVidia is making one official GTX 1080 and one official GTX 1070 model.

The “Founder's Edition” is not specially binned.

The “Founder's Edition” is not pre-overclocked.

The “Founder's Edition” uses the new industrial design and cooler from nVidia. Historically, this is what we would call the “reference cooler.” The cooler is more-or-less identical to the previous reference models. It's got vapor chamber cooling, a VRM blower fan, and a large alloy heatsink under the shroud. There is a backplate on the GTX 1080 Founder's Edition.

This card is not "limited edition," despite its name that would indicate as much, and will run production through the life of the GTX 1080 product line.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

The “Founder's Edition” is not specially binned.

So how lucky am I going to have to be to "win" the 1080 silicon lottery? :P

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

5 hours ago, DELTAprime said:

So how lucky am I going to have to be to "win" the 1080 silicon lottery? :P

no idea, but the stock clock is over 1700mhz so....

shouldnt be that hard to get a 2GHz GPU :)

Spoiler

On 8 mai 2016 at 7:54 AM, XCalinX said:

Hey guys,

Planning to upgrade my 980 Ti to the 1080 and I was just curious what's the difference between the 'standard' model and nvidia founder edition one? Does the standard one not have the sexy metal shroud cooler, like my 980 ti did? Thanks.

1) THERE IS NO BINNING 

2) FOUNDERS EDITION IS THE REFERENCE CARD 
3) THE ONLY CARD NVIDIA SELLS TO CONSUMERS IS THE FOUNDERS EDITION