23" VS 27" for 1080p. Which do you prefer and why?

Hi guys,

So I am beginning to look around for some monitors for my gaming setup (not Eyefinity), and I am planning to go 1080p this first go around (4K once the monitors come down in price/can handle 60FPS). I was wondering what everyone's take on 23" VS 27" was and why (as the title says). 

You might say "Why even consider 23"?", and the reason is simple: Pixels Per Inch (PPI). However, I do not know the difference enough to know which would be preferred and if the difference would be noticeable. Considering 23"s are cheaper, that is another plus.

Understand where I am coming from. I have been using a 42" Sony Bravia 1080p 60Hz TV as my primary gaming and computer monitor for over a year. PPI sucks here. Horribly. Input lag is not so bad, it is noticeable but not game breaking. 

I chose 23" VS 27" because 23 is where most of the smallest 1080p monitors are while 27 is where most of the largest 1080p monitors are. Those are the smallest/biggest sizes of monitors that still have variety in brands, from what I have seen. I could be wrong, but that is what I have found so far.

So, what is your input?

Thanks,
Vitalius

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Hi guys,

So I am beginning to look around for some monitors for my gaming setup (not Eyefinity), and I am planning to go 1080p this first go around (4K once the monitors come down in price/can handle 60FPS). I was wondering what everyone's take on 23" VS 27" was and why (as the title says). 

You might say "Why even consider 23"?", and the reason is simple: Pixels Per Inch (PPI). However, I do not know the difference enough to know which would be preferred and if the difference would be noticeable. Considering 23"s are cheaper, that is another plus.

Understand where I am coming from. I have been using a 42" Sony Bravia 1080p 60Hz TV as my primary gaming and computer monitor for over a year. PPI sucks here. Horribly. Input lag is not so bad, it is noticeable but not game breaking. 

I chose 23" VS 27" because 23 is where most of the smallest 1080p monitors are while 27 is where most of the largest 1080p monitors are. Those are the smallest/biggest sizes of monitors that still have variety in brands, from what I have seen. I could be wrong, but that is what I have found so far.

So, what is your input?

Thanks,

Vitalius

1080p looks ugly at 27". Only 23"!!!

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

For 1080p I would go with the 23'' monitor because of the PPI. I think anything higher than 23'' - 24'' it starts look a bit lack luster.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

Yeah, I really wouldn't consider anything more than about 24" for 1080p. If I had my way, I'd have a 23" or 24" 1440p display, but I can't seem to find any - only 27" ones and at that point I can't see the point in upgrading from my 23" 1080p screen.

I use a 27'' as a main monitor.

It depends on distance for me, i'm far enough away from my 27 to not notice that is "looks bad compared to smaller screens" as some say.

Also use a 42inch TV as gaming TV, I'm far enough away from that, that I enjoy it.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

I'm wondering why even consider 27 inch for 1080p ;)

I guess the general idea is: "It is bigger." 

lol

Just curious, so I figured I would ask. Being able to see smaller things is a bonus to 27", but at the same time that is what makes resolutions crappy at bigger screen sizes. I just did not know where the line between "make it bigger to see more" and "making it bigger makes it look like crap" was drawn. 

Apparently, so far, at 23". 

For 1080p I would go with the 23'' monitor because of the PPI. I think anything higher than 23'' - 24'' it starts look a bit lack luster. 

Yeah, I really wouldn't consider anything more than about 24" for 1080p. If I had my way, I'd have a 23" or 24" 1440p display, but I can't seem to find any - only 27" ones and at that point I can't see the point in upgrading from my 23" 1080p screen. 

I use a 27'' as a main monitor.

It depends on distance for me, i'm far enough away from my 27 to not notice that is "looks bad compared to smaller screens" as some say.

Also use a 42inch TV as gaming TV, I'm far enough away from that, that I enjoy it.

Hmm, it seems so far to be pretty unanimous.

That is a good point Matsy, distance away matters too. I am usually less than 1.5' (feet) away from my screen, even the 42" bravia. Yeah, I am crazy. I always game that way though and have reason for it. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

27" is too big for me, just because I start missing things at the edge of my screen ingame, and in general it is harder to keep track of the whole game screen at once.  24" is the max for me.  Of course it depends on how far away the monitor is though.

I just use my 24" Asus monitor for 1080p, the picture looks great, shame it's a TN panel though. Want to get a IPS, so looking at either the 23" Asus or 24" Dell monitors. Anyway, the picture looks great on a 24" it's perfect for gaming for me and I will not go above 24" or less than 23". 27" would look weird to me, less PPI and not being used to it. 23" - 24", perfect for me! 

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

i prefer 27 inch plus because i got used to it and i know few people will get a heart attack if they read this i game at 1360x768 plus 32inch TV so i am getting a monitor soon so i just like huge screens hmm i wonder how would it feel to play games in a theater in 4k hehehe  :D

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

I really like big monitors but 27 inch at 1080p is just not enough ppi but 24 inch works perfectly fine for me, my personal favorite is 1440p at 27" ( i have it at the imac that im currently using)

I like how so many people are saying 24" is there sweet spot (the limit where trading a bigger screen for crappier looking jaggies and such lies). 

... I did not expect that honestly.

† Christian Member †

• 3 weeks later...

it really depends on how far you sit form the monitor , i recently bought a 27 incher and i absolutely hate it , the pixel density isn't high enough to sit as close to the monitor as i would like.