Microsoft might try and compete with Google Glass

ttam

Rumor has it that Microsoft is attempting to purchase $200 million worth of patents pertaining to wearable devices from a company named Osterhout Design Group. The company serves mainly as a military contractor and owns around 140 patents that apply to wearable computing & a few that deal with augmented reality glasses and watches. Couple months ago there was a rumor that MSoft was getting into the augmented reality game and now it seems as if it's coming true and more.

With Microsoft having not the best of times selling their products, do you think this is a smart move?
It's also said that companies like LG, Google and Samsung have expressed interest in getting their hands on these patents but MS has been more aggressive.

US20120212406A1-20120823-D00007_large_ve

9191OxT.png?1

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/20/4752854/microsoft-wearable-tech-patent-rumor-osterhout-design-group

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Just now noticed in the Figure 1 diagram that there is ear buds as a feature of the glasses and might be detachable. And not sure if these diagrams are very accurate since one is showing Google Gmail haha

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

They need to add the "OptiGrab" feature to beat Google :lol:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

The diagrams don't make much sense, but I guess they're just for the sake of illustration for the patent, final product will undoubtedly look way different. As for the competition, this is good news, hopefully Microsoft can be a decent competitor and they can push each other to produce some actually useful features.

Microsoft bought a separate proprietary patent on the glasses, these are not in house designs.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

I dont think it will be successful. Why? Look at Windows Phone, Surface, and other new Microsoft products, they are liked by the tech illiterate people but we don't lime them as much. Also they can't compete with Apple and Samsung.

Windows phone and Surface aren't for tech literate people. WHAT!? Please explain to me this concept as I am very tech literate and I like these products.

Back from the dead....

You will be able to Bing with Internet Explorer while paired to your Zune and shout at your Xbox One to let you watch TV!

That just made my day hahaha

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Try and compete.......and fail horribly.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

This doesn't surprise me.  Microsoft tries to compete with everyone... and fails flamboyantly, but still manage to make billions by selling Office subscriptions.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

We critize them more.

Explain why, I already know that everyone critsize them more, but explain why they are not for the more tech literate person.

Back from the dead....

Brillant take up the entire lens so that the user won't be able to see where their driving, walking, running, biking, (you get the point)

Great that the email box covers your entire right eye. But it would be pretty cool to see them create it. But they would have to make it cheaper than the Glass in order to compete imo.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer