8 SSD workstation Build

JmWell

so the Ram would work. you just think they are too expensive

that's why I want to run them in raid. 10

Your entire build is so stupid (no offence), it makes me cringe. For what you want to do which is making videos, running virtual machines and multi-boxing as far as I am aware, your build is stupid (excuse me as I failed to a more suitable word); like Windspeed36 explained the massive flaws in your build, running them the SSDs in RAID 1+0 will not fix the issue of blue screening. 

Given what you want to do, it's better (in my opinion) to spend $2000-3000 and build a X79 based build. 

This build is what happens when people have too much money and very little thought on what they are buying.

Agreed, to OP (JmWell), not to be rude but please rethink your build, it's making my inner nerd cry.

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

Your entire build is so stupid (no offence), it makes me cringe. For what you want to do which is making videos, running virtual machines and multi-boxing as far as I am aware, your build is stupid (excuse me as I failed to a more suitable word); like Windspeed36 explained the massive flaws in your build, running them the SSDs in RAID 1+0 will not fix the issue of blue screening.

Given what you want to do, it's better (in my opinion) to spend $2000-3000 and build a X79 based build.

Agreed, to OP (JmWell), not to be rude but please rethink your build, it's making my inner nerd cry.

Why u wanna teach him? Let him learn. The best way to learn is for him to waste the 5 grand and remember it for life. Valuable lessons in life are as such. No offense to anyone =]

Wow.  Not only are you guys flooding the thread with unnecessarily negative and extremely nonconstructive comments, but you're blaming the OP for 'setting himself up' to get flamed?  Wow.  What a disgusting lack of class in this thread.

Windspeed advised the OP that the RAM would not run at the rated speed.  That is constructive and useful information.  I see nothing but mindless hate from everyone else.

Why is this build automatically a failure simply because it's not the gaming rig you would build?  I thought people here appreciated overkill and extreme power.  Now 8 SSDs connected to an LSI RAID card is considered disgraceful?  What the actual hell?  I for one am looking forward to seeing such a massive array all put together in a build.  It's obviously not a build made for freaking Minecraft; why are you all treating it as such?

If you're confused, how about a simple 'why' instead of calling the OP stupid and insisting his money is being wasted?

Damn.  I don't enter these threads expecting to see the equivalent of the YouTube comments section.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I will just point out. This is not my first build.
I have assembled PCs for over ten years.
my current PC. it has over 10 HDDs installed.
4 360 radiators
2 pumps
I have been using SSDs since ages ago
OCZ. released their 32GB SSD for $ 500
which I bought 4 of.
and have upgraded steadily ever since.
it is not the first time I run raid 10 with several SSDs.
hard drives and everything else installed.
I have 5 screen set to my PC.
because I multi boxer. and doing everything else
simultaneously.
I know what a ramdisk is.
and I can not use 50GB to much.
For example, when you need to have installed diablo 4 times to multiboxes it.

Wow.  Not only are you guys flooding the thread with unnecessarily negative and extremely nonconstructive comments, but you're blaming the OP for 'setting himself up' to get flamed?  Wow.  What a disgusting lack of class in this thread.

Windspeed advised the OP that the RAM would not run at the rated speed.  That is constructive and useful information.  I see nothing but mindless hate from everyone else.

Why is this build automatically a failure simply because it's not the gaming rig you would build?  I thought people here appreciated overkill and extreme power.  Now 8 SSDs connected to an LSI RAID card is considered disgraceful?  What the actual hell?  I for one am looking forward to seeing such a massive array all put together in a build.  It's obviously not a build made for freaking Minecraft; why are you all treating it as such?

If you're confused, how about a simple 'why' instead of calling the OP stupid and insisting his money is being wasted?

Damn.  I don't enter these threads expecting to see the equivalent of the YouTube comments section.

I may be assuming things but as a rule of thumb, me and all my "nerd" friends don't appreciate overkill especially when things are of this scale ($5000) and I'm pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong), as a community most "nerds" don't really appreciate this kind of stupidity - this is what gives PC enthusiasts a bad reputation, "oh PC gamers are rich fags" "such a waste of money" - just listing things I have had things thrown at me in the past. 

None of us on this thread have said that it's made for Minecraft (if you load it with enough mods, textures, etc. it can be a pretty heavy game - not to the extent of Crysis 3 though), rather, what we're saying is that the build does not suit the need - you're not trying to run a data centre or anything. 

Most of must have also given our opinion and the reasons behind as to why we said such comments, and to be perfectly honest here, the OP's English isn't the best (I'm assuming that it's not their first language) which is making their intentions and what not really hard to understand (at least for me)

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

I may be assuming things but as a rule of thumb, me and all my "nerd" friends don't appreciate overkill especially when things are of this scale ($5000) and I'm pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong), as a community most "nerds" don't really appreciate this kind of stupidity - this is what gives PC enthusiasts a bad reputation, "oh PC gamers are rich fags" "such a waste of money" - just listing things I have had things thrown at me in the past. 

None of us on this thread have said that it's made for Minecraft (if you load it with enough mods, textures, etc. it can be a pretty heavy game - not to the extent of Crysis 3 though), rather, what we're saying is that the build does not suit the need - you're not trying to run a data centre or anything. 

Most of must have also given our opinion and the reasons behind as to why we said such comments, and to be perfectly honest here, the OP's English isn't the best (I'm assuming that it's not their first language) which is making their intentions and what not really hard to understand (at least for me)

If you and your friends would never spend this much money on a computer, that's fine, but that certainly doesn't apply to this community as a whole.  If this thread was about a gaming rig with Tri-SLI 780s and custom water cooling and case modding, most of the community would be drooling.  I mean just look at PBaines's desk build, which probably cost multiple times what this build here cost.

And again, why is the OP stupid because his system doesn't line up with your ideals?  You dismissing the OP's rig as irrelevant is no better than console gamers dismissing PCs as irrelevant.  If you don't like the feeling of your investments and hobbies being insulted, why reciprocate that?

And in what way does the build not suit the need?  Virtual machines and video production (the OP may not speak perfect English, but this was pretty clear).  Anyone running multiple virtual machines is going to want some fast storage, and video rendering is one of the few areas in which sequential write speeds matter.  It may not be optimal - a 2011 processor would suit video production better, and the RAM won't run at rated speeds - but imperfect does not equal stupid.

In general, I'm not so concerned about the criticism, but more about the classless way in which the criticism was delivered.  Everyone is so quick to call this a "waste of money" and insist the OP "should have bought x and y" instead of actually making an effort to help the OP design a better system around the massive storage array.  This isn't everyone, of course, and a few of the members here are genuinely trying to be helpful.  But as a whole this thread delivers a terrible impression of the community to the OP.  Hell, if one of my first posts on this forum received such flame-fanning reactions, I'd be gone.  

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

EmoRarity, on 25 Sept 2013 - 10:31 PM, said:

Max just laid the hammer down. 

Hammer time..LOL

OP, please do continue the build here. put more photos in.I'm really looking forward to this massive storage build. Ignore those irrelevant cristicism but do take some of the constructive feedback with no hard feelings ok? some of us here are genuinely trying to help or throw in some ideas for you. If you don't like it, just state why and that will probably explain it to the people reading this thread out there.

cheers!

thank you. MdX MaxX at least someone with common sense.

i know it is a expensive build.
but i want to point out. i work 10 to 11 hours a day.
that's why i have the money to build crazy rigs.
saying i'm a rich fags.
just because i use my extra money on my hobby.
instead of having a nice car. and a big house,
i live reasonably cheap, dont smoke, i am not a fan off expensive vacations.
i collect Merchandise and hardware.
that's what I spend my money on.

138013875818964100_resized.jpg

This item is a posable doll with real fabric clothing, designed for collectors. 
40cm SFD Kokonoe Rin by Arte Tokio $ 1,116.50
40cm SFD Kagami Kuro by Arte Tokio $ 1,116.50

https://secure.hlj.com/product/arksfd040-002f/Dol

Very true. If you have a halfway decently paying job and focus your

spending on your hardware (I'm aware that not everyone has this possibility,

for example if you have kids), 5000 USD really isn't all that impossible.

It's not cheap, but feasible.

EDIT:

moved to new post

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

OCZ. released their 32GB SSD for $ 500

I'm even worse... $400 for the MTRON 16 GB... two of them back in 2008 lol.

btw.. did you choose your mobo? or are you sticking with 1150 platform.

i know it is a expensive build.

but i want to point out. i work 10 to 11 hours a day.

that's why i have the money to build crazy rigs.

saying i'm a rich fags.

just because i use my extra money on my hobby.

instead of having a nice car. and a big house,

i live reasonably cheap, dont smoke, i am not a fan off expensive vacations.

i collect medishindaise and hardware.

that's what I spend my money on.

Yeah, I hate it when people think your "rich" just because you have a few expensive things.  The manager in my building always looks at my kitchen and a/c systems whenever he comes up to fix something... then I say to him.. well, I don't have a car.  That shut him up haha.

medishindaise ? Even google doesn't give back anything on "mediashindaise"... or is it spelled wrong.

If you and your friends would never spend this much money on a computer, that's fine, but that certainly doesn't apply to this community as a whole.

Yeah, I don't get these budget nannies...  It's one thing to tell someone to get something else because it equal in performance and cost less, but another to tell someone they should spend less and get less.

My Rigs (past and present)

moved from EDIT from previous post:

Since somebody mentioned constructive criticism, here's my two cents.

Not so much on the build itself (because to be honest, I'm not enough

up to date to really judge if this makes sense or not, I know my needs

and my builds, but I can't claim to have a comprehensive market overview

at the moment, and I don't have any hands-on experience with VM's).

For your next log (yes, I'm an optimist ;)), I recommend avoiding putting

the price in the thread title. I've seen a few threads like that on a couple

of forums now, and even if the conversation doesn't turn as sour as this one

has, it's still excellent opportunity for flaming.

Because no matter if you intend it to be perceived as such or not, many

people will simply see it as bragging, that's just human psychology. Whether

or not they're justified in their thoughts or not doesn't really change

anything about that.

If somebody asks how much my build has cost I'll gladly answer, but putting

it in the title seems to rub some people the wrong way, so I avoid that.

The decision's yours, of course, but that's what I've seen when it comes

to that.

Secondly, as mentioned in my previous post, instead of simply uploading

a parts list, give us some background info on your thoughts, needs etc.

For one thing, it will make it a lot easier to give good feedback (because

hey, maybe there really has been an oversight, it happens to the best),

and it would probably (no guarantees, of course ;)) reduce the amount

of flaming and keep things more polite if people could understand your

train of thought.

I realize that there are people who only come to build logs for pretty

pictures, but for those who do read what you write, it would elevate

the quality of your log quite a bit I would wager. It doesn't need to

be an entire essay (such as this :lol: ), but even just a few sentences

for the critical spots would make a world of difference.

Anyway, so much for my ramble on human interaction. :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

btw.. did you choose your mobo? or are you sticking with 1150 platform.

I have not decided yet..

medishindaise ? Even google doesn't give back anything on "mediashindaise"... or is it spelled wrong.

ups sorry.

Merchandise

For your next log (yes, I'm an optimist ;)), I recommend avoiding putting

the price in the thread title. I've seen a few threads like that on a couple

of forums now, and even if the conversation doesn't turn as sour as this one

has, it's still excellent opportunity for flaming.

Because no matter if you intend it to be perceived as such or not, many

people will simply see it as bragging, that's just human psychology. Whether

or not they're justified in their thoughts or not doesn't really change

anything about that.

If somebody asks how much my build has cost I'll gladly answer, but putting

it in the title seems to rub some people the wrong way, so I avoid that.

The decision's yours, of course, but that's what I've seen when it comes

to that.

it was a bad idea to write the price. :unsure:

but sadly it is impossible to change now :(

it was a bad idea to write the price. :unsure:

but sadly it is impossible to change now :(

Ah well, live and learn. :)

If you edit the first post of your thread in full editor mode you can

actually change the thread title if you still want to do that.

Ah well, live and learn. :)

If you edit the first post of your thread in full editor mode you can

actually change the thread title if you still want to do that.

thank you, I did not think it was allowed to.

since threads can be very difficult to find again,

thank you, I did not think it was allowed to.

since threads can be very difficult to find again,

There is of course a potential for abuse and/or unintended confusion, but

most people I've seen use it for putting the latest update date into the

title, or add a "completed" to the thread and such things.

well, i probarly would do the exact same thing, i can't help but spending money on pc stuff.

i would've gone with less ssd's , but with higher capacity, i use 512 gb's myself.

but i totally understand why you do this ^^ have fun :P

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

I love that M/B! :wub:

Jesus, it's almost like some one said Alienware, fuck sake.

Personally I don't care what the guy puts in his computer. I couldn't care if he liquidized dog shit and ran it in his cooling. It's his rig, with his choice of components. It's utterly astounding the shit that jealously kicks off. It's like the Alienware haters, just a bunch of people who couldn't afford one hating LOL. Yeah they're not worth the money, but who cares if you have the money.

No one wants to be the richest guy in the graveyard, so put that money to good use. I like gaming. I have two 670s, every one says "Single card FTW". Well I've ran multiple GPU systems for about six years now and I wouldn't change it for the world. If I could afford it I would have four Titans, even though they're horrible value for money. I would probably then come on here rubbing all y'alls noses in it just because I could.

How many other builds have there been on here like this one? sure, I would put my money into Titans, but, if I had a thing for storage this would be like a wet dream.

So play on, maestro, hater's gon' hate.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

• 1 month later...