8 SSD workstation Build

JmWell

yeah, why spend $500 on ram??  It's one thing if you are making an overkill build with a 900d and 2 quad rads, but those rads that u are buying seems ugly and expensive

Well I like the quad rads.

and need some decent one,

if I want to water cool it all.

and cause it to make as little noise at possible.

+1. That build is exp and worthless afterwards.

can not quite see why it should be worthless.

afterwards what. 5 years,

yes, high end dropped much in price, when something new comes along.

because some things are really useless and expensive, and the fact that you already acquired them is not an excuse, i mean.. you had to buy them somehow, right? Maybe if you had posted here what were your intentions, before buy everything, we had been able to help you

this is not a discount build

I have the raid controller. because I want to run raid 10 stable.

can see we are two different audiences.

I'm 26år, and have experienced my IT problems

my current setup is ridiculous

so it's nothing new.

created this thread to get ideas from enthusiasts.

not to be bombarded with comments about it is too expensive

In the end, it's YOUR choice what YOU do with YOUR money, but you cannot expect us to go all "Wow, this is so freaking awesome! *jizz in my pants*"

If you would've came clean in the first place and said that you need this insane horsepower for the stuff you're working with, then the "flamming" would've been reduced to a minimum, don't you think? 

Second, you're complaining about us, that we find 5000$ too much? 5000$ is a lot of money for a build, even for this forum. And yes, I geniuenly believe that a lot of people would've been able to put something together for you, that would've saved you quite some money, even though "you can afford it", because this community IS very helpful and supportive. So far every question I've asked has been answered quick and easy- to - understand, as english isn't my mother tongue either. 

Another thing YOU might need to change or improve is reading the messages carefully and trying to understand the reply, to think about it, and then to reply. Windspeed has made a reasonable point, giving reasons in why your choice of RAM was the wrong one and all you did was implying that he just thinks that the RAM was "too expensive", when there was absolutely no point in where I could read this statement in his reply. It's an absolutely reasonably trackable thought process. People who get a K - Series Intel usually plan to overclock this CPU, the problem is though that overclocking your CPU you will limit the RAM speed (because the motherboards memory controller can't handle it?) in why 2400MHz are completly useless as it's going to be limited to 1600MHz or even below that frequency, meaning that you could've saved the money, get 1600MHz Kit without having to think about that. Same goes for cooling, if no OC is planned, then you could've gone for a simply AIO - W/C unit like the H100i or H220 and swap out the fans, you'll get very decent cooling performance and with swapping the fans a quiet operation as well!

From reading your comments, you aren't behaving like a 26yo man, but rather a 13yo boy with rich parents who wants to show off how awesome he is to afford all this stuff. You want feedback, you get feedback! Yet you're the one who starts to complain about how everyone says this is complete and utter overkill and implying no real arguments behind theirs responds, just that they're all saying that it's too expensive (which it just is) and therefor implying some sort of jealousy, at least that's what it sounds like to me. 

Anyways, have fun building your Madmachine, I hope it will work to your satisfaction and it was worth every penny you've spend on in. But please don't expect much sympathy when you're opening a thread "RAID10 SSD Array creates Bluescreen omg help i r stupid for not listening!!!!!!" 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Not in too much agreement with the hardware choices

• should have gone 2011 instead of 1150 - higher performance overall.  Unless your looking at the 1150 new motherboard features.
  • raid card will not support trim and optimization properly, so expect to pull it out from time to time to optimize.  Other than that, I prefer Areca cards and the ability to manage with just a browser and no software needed.
  • not sure why you have MegaRAID CacheCade Pro 2.0 , I don't see any hard drives in your build.  It's going to mess up your SSD performance since you don't have trim ability.  Recommend adjusting ssd provisioning and partitioning the drives into two volumes with when you set up in the LSI.  Volume 1 is RAID 10, and volume 2 is RAID 0 (for the cache).

There's not much else to say till you build it and "show me the money" in performance  B)

Good luck, and don't let other people's opinion get to you.  Though you probably want to update the first post with better explanation on top rather than below.  

My Rigs (past and present)

In the end, it's YOUR choice what YOU do with YOUR money, but you cannot expect us to go all "Wow, this is so freaking awesome! *jizz in my pants*"

If you would've came clean in the first place and said that you need this insane horsepower for the stuff you're working with, then the "flamming" would've been reduced to a minimum, don't you think? 

Second, you're complaining about us, that we find 5000$ too much? 5000$ is a lot of money for a build, even for this forum. And yes, I geniuenly believe that a lot of people would've been able to put something together for you, that would've saved you quite some money, even though "you can afford it", because this community IS very helpful and supportive. So far every question I've asked has been answered quick and easy- to - understand, as english isn't my mother tongue either. 

Another thing YOU might need to change or improve is reading the messages carefully and trying to understand the reply, to think about it, and then to reply. Windspeed has made a reasonable point, giving reasons in why your choice of RAM was the wrong one and all you did was implying that he just thinks that the RAM was "too expensive", when there was absolutely no point in where I could read this statement in his reply. It's an absolutely reasonably trackable thought process. People who get a K - Series Intel usually plan to overclock this CPU, the problem is though that overclocking your CPU you will limit the RAM speed (because the motherboards memory controller can't handle it?) in why 2400MHz are completly useless as it's going to be limited to 1600MHz or even below that frequency, meaning that you could've saved the money, get 1600MHz Kit without having to think about that. Same goes for cooling, if no OC is planned, then you could've gone for a simply AIO - W/C unit like the H100i or H220 and swap out the fans, you'll get very decent cooling performance and with swapping the fans a quiet operation as well!

From reading your comments, you aren't behaving like a 26yo man, but rather a 13yo boy with rich parents who wants to show off how awesome he is to afford all this stuff. You want feedback, you get feedback! Yet you're the one who starts to complain about how everyone says this is complete and utter overkill and implying no real arguments behind theirs responds, just that they're all saying that it's too expensive (which it just is) and therefor implying some sort of jealousy, at least that's what it sounds like to me. 

Anyways, have fun building your Madmachine, I hope it will work to your satisfaction and it was worth every penny you've spend on in. But please don't expect much sympathy when you're opening a thread "RAID10 SSD Array creates Bluescreen omg help i r stupid for not listening!!!!!!" 

yep what a friendly community we have here. all the help you get. without "flamming" well done ...

I'm obviously gone completely wrong.

it was a build log.

to get ideas from. underway.

I thought a build log was for people

who wrote and exchange ideas along the way.

but until now. I have almost only seen angry faces.

admit I started wrong.

but I think the headline should contain the main points of the build.

but it has mainly led to bad karma

I did not write, that it was not a simple gaming PC.

I was not looking for, how cheap. but other exciting alternative. how I could assures it. not the cheapest way. around

when you spend $ 3,000 on a raid setup. I'm not after the cheapest solution.

was looking for, ideas.

and not. You should, Make

yes yes it was my first build log.

if my intro was too bad,

you could write about it ..

I was just take it quietly and calmly.

Not in too much agreement with the hardware choices

• should have gone 2011 instead of 1150 - higher performance overall.  Unless your looking at the 1150 new motherboard features.
  • raid card will not support trim and optimization properly, so expect to pull it out from time to time to optimize.  Other than that, I prefer Areca cards and the ability to manage with just a browser and no software needed.
  • not sure why you have MegaRAID CacheCade Pro 2.0 , I don't see any hard drives in your build.  It's going to mess up your SSD performance since you don't have trim ability.  Recommend adjusting ssd provisioning and partitioning the drives into two volumes with when you set up in the LSI.  Volume 1 is RAID 10, and volume 2 is RAID 0 (for the cache).

There's not much else to say till you build it and "show me the money" in performance  B)

Good luck, and don't let other people's opinion get to you.  Though you probably want to update the first post with better explanation on top rather than below.  

CacheCade Pro 2.0 and physical key. provides hihg-prepormance I/O acceleration for SSDs

I have not bought mb.

I could find a layout I liked.

yep what a friendly community we have here. all the help you get. without "flamming" well done ...

I'm obviously gone completely wrong.

it was a build log.

to get ideas from. underway.

I thought a build log was for people

who wrote and exchange ideas along the way.

but until now. I have almost only seen angry faces.

admit I started wrong.

but I think the headline should contain the main points of the build.

but it has mainly led to bad karma

I did not write, that it was not a simple gaming PC.

I was not looking for, how cheap. but other exciting alternative. how I could assures it. not the cheapest way. around

when you spend $ 3,000 on a raid setup. I'm not after the cheapest solution.

was looking for, ideas.

and not. You should, Make

yes yes it was my first build log.

if my intro was too bad,

you could write about it ..

I was just take it quietly and calmly.

Your punctuation hurts my brain. 

As far as I'm concerned, you got help. Not from everyone, but you got help from people on the forums, replies to your questions. Without any fuzz and with good arguments. Your response was:

so the Ram would work. you just think they are too expensive

What a great response! Bravo!

And again, it's okay. It's your money you're spending, but isn't it also in your interest to save some money? I don't really think, that the quality of your content (relating to your Anime work) differs from 5000$ PC compared to something like a 2500 - 3000$ system, or do you think otherwise? 

Also, I wasn't loud or mad or anything. I used the capital letters to point out certain parts, to underline some words. I'm calm as I can be, and again, was just offering some help and advice, giving some tips on how you might want to re - think certain choices, but apperently you're not looking for advice, because you either ignore them or say "No, I already bought them, I did a good choice." being completly ignorant and not taking the advice. 

Here are two advices, you've ignored:

Should have just gotten 2 1Tb Evo's in raid 0, Ram is stupid expensive and wont provide much better performance than 1600Mhz

I can have Linus explain how he constantly blue screens with his RAID card and how SSD arrays aren't the greatest idea.

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

coming from someone that just spent $5000+ on a overkill 900D(reason i had the money to blow and thought it would be a fun exp to build it) build if you get this build together and working (without BSOD every 4 secs after boot) it will be a great accomplishment. Part of doing insane builds like this is just seeing if it can be done seeing if it will function properly. Thats the fun part when it comes to building insane stuff if it work you get that "fuck yeah cant believe this works felling" if thats what your going for with this build then great i support the insanity but if you are going into this build thinking this is a reliable great way of getting performance on a day to day basis without issues then your mental.

| Corsair 900D | i7-4770K | ASUS Maximus VI Formula | SLI ASUS Geforce GTX780 | EK & Alphacool WaterCooling | 

| Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 32GB | | Two Corsair Neutron GTX Series 240GB SSD | Corsair AX1200i |

| Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Two Seagate Barracuda 4TB  | Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit |http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/189392-corsair-900d-sli-watercooled-refresh-and-new-setup/#entry2550514

why on earth would I have not thought about what I bought.

Sir you build a 5000$ PC with lga 1150 instead of LGA 2011? WTF? I'd put at least 1x Xeon 8 core in there or at least Ivy Bridge Extreme 6-core 4930k!!!

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

i would love to see how his build turns out to be...

if he has that amount of money then he might me able to change things in the later part of his build

then maybe it might be the time that people can help him by giving him some ideas.

I learned from my mistakes, and maybe we all do.

give him a chance please.....

WOW that's fast

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

What a great response! Bravo!

because he says I can not use the ram.
when I am able to use them.

instead of saying that I will get very little out of it.
I will get very little out of many things.
like a MB to $ 300
perform almost as good as a $ 3,000 MB

Should have just gotten 2 1Tb Evo's in raid 0,
Ram is stupid expensive and wont provide much better performance than 1600Mhz

I already have 6 ssd. Why should I buy 2 other
and I can not run raid 10 with 2
ssd.

price differences for a 32 kit ram's not that great. in DK
Corsair Vengeance 4 x 8 GB 2400 MHz = 3000kr
Corsair Vengeance 4 x 8 GB 1600 MHz = 2000kr

when you consider that. I use 30'000kr 1000kr is 3,3%

I can have Linus explain how he constantly blue screens with his RAID card and how SSD arrays aren't the greatest idea.

it's so bad. that he does not use it.
oh no, he does.
and. btw I'm running raid 10
much more stable

coming from someone that just spent $5000+ on a overkill 900D(reason i had the money to blow and thought it would be a fun exp to build it) build if you get this build together and working (without BSOD every 4 secs after boot) it will be a great accomplishment. Part of doing insane builds like this is just seeing if it can be done seeing if it will function properly. Thats the fun part when it comes to building insane stuff if it work you get that "fuck yeah cant believe this works felling" if thats what your going for with this build then great i support the insanity but if you are going into this build thinking this is a reliable great way of getting performance on a day to day basis without issues then your mental.

I call it Madness, because I know it's overkill, and the price of two Performens is very poor.

like buying an expensive car. it is nice. but I could also do with a ford ka.

I have. ducky year of the snake. but a membrane keyboard would basically be the same.

I like and pay for quality.

yes I pay plenty enough.

but it is the small details that count.

WOW that's fast

you must excuse me.

but right now it sounds as if you're trolling

if it is not, sorry

so that's what I'm looking for

I want to see. what I can get, I'm supposed

not because it is useful when I play Tera.

but because every sec counter. when I work on my PC.

you must excuse me.

but right now it sounds as if you're trolling

if it is not, sorry

so that's what I'm looking for

I want to see. what I can get, I'm supposed

not because it is useful when I play Tera.

but because every sec counter. when I work on my PC.

No i'm not trolling

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

JmWell .. I think that i am the only one who wants this build to be successful. Wish you lack ! 

Alex from Greece <3

“Strength does not come from winning. your struggles develop your strengths. 

When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength” 

Case: Corsair Obsidian 400R , CPU : Intel Core i7-3770K , Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance , Cpu Cooler : CoolerMaster Seidon 120M , RAM : Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB , Hard Drive : Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB , Monitor : Dell UltraSharp U2312HM , GPU : ASUS GTX 670 DIRECT CU II

CacheCade Pro 2.0 and physical key. provides hihg-prepormance I/O acceleration for SSDs

Interesting... 

Sir you build a 5000$ PC with lga 1150 instead of LGA 2011? WTF? I'd put at least 1x Xeon 8 core in there or at least Ivy Bridge Extreme 6-core 4930k!!!

He hasn't purchased the board and processor yet... curious of what he plans to get.  Would be a shame to get anything less than 2011.  IMO, $5K is not enough for a balanced system considering storage speed.  

And that's not even considering the graphics card... when star citizen comes out.

My Rigs (past and present)

Meh

$5,000 for fast storage...

My Rig: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb, 8 gb Patriot Viper 2133 mhz, Corsair C70 (Black), EVGA Supernova 750g Modular PSU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard, Asus next gen wifi card.

Sir you are insane

• Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
  • I7 3770K @ Stock
  • Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
  • AMD Radeon R9 290
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212+
  • 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 
  • 2x 1tb WD Green Drives (RAID 1)
  • 256gb Samsung 840
  • Peripherals
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Core
  • Ducky Shine 3 - Blue LED, Brown Switches
  • Samsung SyncMaster 2443
  • Custom Mousepad http://imgur.com/xJWASQM
  • Logitech G35
  • Altec Lansing Octane 7

and your Ramdisk is 1tb.

and it has almost no start-up time

with a windows partition on.

impressive. will you please explain to me how you did it :o

U can install windows on a Ramdisk along with programs. I don't mean to troll; just wanted to point out that a Ramdisk has better read/writes than a SSD array such as urs.

Cheers ;)