8 SSD workstation Build

JmWell

Holy shit! ROFL @ this whole thread. 3 pumps WAT!?

Dude like... I don't even know any more (had a rant when this thread was new then I gave up) 

But yeah, got some laughs by looking through again 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

Why are people so mad about 500$ RAM in this dudes rig?

So, droping 2K on sli titan is much great, very wow, but spending 500$ in ram is much stupid?

For me, being in the middle class, both are ridiculous. But hey... if you have the money, spend it on what you want.

Why all this money fuss when there are build logs with quad 780's that are being used for 1080p ....

LOGIC, people... do you use it?

Why are people so mad about 500$ RAM in this dudes rig?

So, droping 2K on sli titan is much great, very wow, but spending 500$ in ram is much stupid?

For me, being in the middle class, both are ridiculous. But hey... if you have the money, spend it on what you want.

Why all this money fuss when there are build logs with quad 780's that are being used for 1080p ....

LOGIC, people... do you use it?

Yes, both are ridiculous, but ridiculous to different extents. 

SLI Titans at the moment is completely stupid, but if you were to go SLI 780 Ti or CrossFire 290X, it would actually make a tangible performance difference. You will get better FPS in games, you will be able to use your setup for future games at higher resolutions and at higher settings. 

For example, if you wanted to game at 4K, you should be able to max out all settings with SLI 780 Ti, but you wouldn't with a single 780 Ti, so in that case, it is NOT a waste of money. 

However, $500 RAM is utterly stupid given that RAM for half that price will perform just the same. If you want 16GB of RAM, it really doesn't matter whether you get the 1600MHz or 2133MHz variety at all, given that higher clocks will result in lower CL timings, so the benefit isn't as pronounced as it is hyped to be. 

Yes, both are ridiculous, however, I doubt that it is illogical to get SLI 780 Ti, whilst it is quite illogical to get $500 RAM because there is no performance improvement. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

Yes, both are ridiculous, but ridiculous to different extents. 

SLI Titans at the moment is completely stupid, but if you were to go SLI 780 Ti or CrossFire 290X, it would actually make a tangible performance difference. You will get better FPS in games, you will be able to use your setup for future games at higher resolutions and at higher settings. 

For example, if you wanted to game at 4K, you should be able to max out all settings with SLI 780 Ti, but you wouldn't with a single 780 Ti, so in that case, it is NOT a waste of money. 

However, $500 RAM is utterly stupid given that RAM for half that price will perform just the same. If you want 16GB of RAM, it really doesn't matter whether you get the 1600MHz or 2133MHz variety at all, given that higher clocks will result in lower CL timings, so the benefit isn't as pronounced as it is hyped to be. 

Yes, both are ridiculous, however, I doubt that it is illogical to get SLI 780 Ti, whilst it is quite illogical to get $500 RAM because there is no performance improvement. 

I agree and I subscribe it. However, my rant was about sli /crossfire high-end GPU's for 1080p displays...which I tend to see way to many.

People that have money to spend on 2 or 3 high end cards like a 780, usualy do it just for the bragging rights... I know, i know... having 2 780's is definitely not the same as having one, but for a single 1080 display, does it realy matter?

Now, concerning that $500 RAM... I've noticed that high frequency RAM tend to have a placebo effect on people. Lets be clear, for gaming, frequency doesn't really matter, at least at this moment. Linus said it, corsair said it... many others said it and they have data to confirm it.

This is for gaming. How does it perform in other applications? 

This dude is building a hyper fast (storage) system, so, buying hyper "fast" RAM seems to be reasonable... (at least with the money he has).

I don't judge him... we don't know how high frequency RAM could improve your overall performance in the near future.

I agree and I subscribe it. However, my rant was about sli /crossfire high-end GPU's for 1080p displays...which I tend to see way to many.

People that have money to spend on 2 or 3 high end cards like a 780, usualy do it just for the bragging rights... I know, i know... having 2 780's is definitely not the same as having one, but for a single 1080 display, does it realy matter?

Now, concerning that $500 RAM... I've noticed that high frequency RAM tend to have a placebo effect on people. Lets be clear, for gaming, frequency doesn't really matter, at least at this moment. Linus said it, corsair said it... many others said it and they have data to confirm it.

This is for gaming. How does it perform in other applications? 

This dude is building a hyper fast (storage) system, so, buying hyper "fast" RAM seems to be reasonable... (at least with the money he has).

I don't judge him... we don't know how high frequency RAM could improve your overall performance in the near future.

Even if fast RAM were to make a difference in the future, it would still make more sense to save money on the RAM and put it towards components that will actually make a BIG difference, i.e. CPU/GPU...etc.

I'd much rather save $100 on the RAM and go with a 4770K over a 4670K or you could save on RAM and get yourself a 780 instead of a 770 for example. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

Even if fast RAM were to make a difference in the future, it would still make more sense to save money on the RAM and put it towards components that will actually make a BIG difference, i.e. CPU/GPU...etc.

I'd much rather save $100 on the RAM and go with a 4770K over a 4670K or you could save on RAM and get yourself a 780 instead of a 770 for example. 

You and most of us... but keep in mind that money is out of the equation. (at least it seems to be in this case)

:| This thread is still going?

You and most of us... but keep in mind that money is out of the equation. (at least it seems to be in this case)

That shouldn't be the point. You don't build a car capable of going 350 MPH if you are only going to be going 65 MPH. The waste and excess on this build is utterly ridiculous and will have very little to no performance increase.

EDIT: Even that isn't a good analogy. A better analogy would be to say that OP put platinum and diamond encrusted parts into a 3 cylinder car expecting it to go faster, when it won't. All it is doing is flushing money down the drain and creating a very expensive machine that is going to be underpowered compared to something at the same price or lower with a different configuration.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

http://www.thessdreview.com/featured/lsi-9265-8i-megaraid-card-vs-adaptec-6805-raid-card-the-great-6gbs-raid-showdown/12/

btw 8 not 10.ssd.

and btw. I come from Denmark. prices and supply is totally different here. and import multiply the price by 1.25

BTW - Adaptec 7805 was what I put in these builds, not the 6805.

As it stands the parts lists (Xeon based and the 2 other ones) I put together would net you much better performance for around the same price if not a bit more expensive.

Your build has many flaws:

If you OC your 2400 MHz RAM will clock down. So it is money wasted. If you don't OC you will see little to no improvements using it (a few base FPS, nothing more).

You are going LGA1155 when you should be going 2011 for more cores and greater performance. Looks like you finally went 2011. Good.

You are using 3 pumps when you only need 1 pump and 3 RADs and can build a custom loop that will cool the CPU and GPU.

You are trying to cram all of this into a small case. Get a larger case.

You can upgrade your RAID card to a latest gen one for better performance. Your card is 2 years old+.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

:| This thread is still going?

That shouldn't be the point. You don't build a car capable of going 350 MPH if you are only going to be going 65 MPH. The waste and excess on this build is utterly ridiculous and will have very little to no performance increase.

EDIT: Even that isn't a good analogy. A better analogy would be to say that OP put platinum and diamond encrusted parts into a 3 cylinder car expecting it to go faster, when it won't. All it is doing is flushing money down the drain and creating a very expensive machine that is going to be underpowered compared to something at the same price or lower with a different configuration.

Completely agree with you. Personally, I have a computer that's around $2600 which is quite a fair bit to spend on a computer, however, when I built my computer, I took into account the things I would be doing and built a machine which suited my use case scenario. 

The problem with this build is that there seems to be no use case scenario. Okay, it's a workstation, but a workstation for what? And OP would be nuts if he expects us to believe that money is not of any concern. If that is the case, why not go with 3 x 780 Ti, 16 1TB Samsung SSDs...etc. 

Also, three pumps is absolutely stupid, like, I have no idea how this guy even calls himself an experienced modder. 

BTW - Adaptec 7805 was what I put in these builds, not the 6805.

As it stands the parts list I put together would net you much better performance for around the same price if not a bit more expensive.

Your build has many flaws:

If you OC your 2400 MHz RAM will clock down. So it is money wasted. If you don't OC you will see little to no improvements using it (a few base FPS, nothing more).

You are going LGA1155 when you should be going 2011 for more cores and greater performance. Looks like you finally went 2011. Good.

You are using 3 pumps when you only need 1 pump and 3 RADs and can build a custom loop that will cool the CPU and GPU.

You are trying to cram all of this into a small case.

You can upgrade your RAID card to a latest gen one for better performance. Your card is 2 years old+.

Yep, agree with this too. 3 pumps is the worst decision ever. 

The problem with this build is that there seems to be no use case scenario.

He is going to be using it as a workstation/video editing/gaming and what appears to be mass storage.

PSU

He is going to be using it as a workstation/video editing/gaming and what appears to be mass storage.

Still not smart though, why would he go with a 4960X? For the amount he is spending I could get a dual 8 core Xeon syste which will blow this out of the water for editing.

Still not smart though, why would he go with a 4960X? For the amount he is spending I could get a dual 8 core Xeon syste which will blow this out of the water for editing.

Exactly so.

PSU

firstly, this is not a discount bild. AKA madness

and they will run in raid 10!

I do all kinds of different things with my PC.

I Multibox in games

running Virtual Machines

make anime music videos (AMV)

and would like to have it all, installed on my SSD's

and please read before you write

already acquired. means I have already purchased it.

I can not use, comment that only says something negative.

thought this was a friendly community.

sml_gallery_40456_516_518.png [spoiler= stripe size Test ]  gallery_40456_516_21014.png

so gaming with no graphics card eh?

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Oh man, I die every time I see those builds.  

The problem with this build is that there seems to be no use case scenario. Okay, it's a workstation, but a workstation for what?

world domination  :ph34r:

My Rigs (past and present)

• 3 weeks later...