SK Hynix Debuts New 3D NAND On M.2 NVMe SSD - First To Challenge Samsung

It's me!

SK Hynix became the first non-Samsung fab to roll out 3D NAND, and it slapped it on a little M.2 NVMe rocket ship. The SSD is pretty impressive, up to 160K IOPS and 1,700 MB/s in a slim form factor, hard not to like that!

The SK Hynix PE3110 comes packing the company's new 3D NAND V2, which is the debut of the first non-Samsung 3D NAND to hit the market—and it is also the first datacenter-class M.2 NVMe SSD to hit our lab.

SK Hynix utilizes its proprietary 8-channel Pegasus PCIe 3.0 x4 controller to provide up to 160,000/30,000 random read/write IOPS. The roomy PCIe interface provides up to 1,700/750 MB/s of sequential read/write throughput, which easily surpasses SATA SSDs.

http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/sk-hynix-pe3110-enterprise-m.2-ssd-3d-nand-v2,2-1042.html

IMG_0291_w_600.jpg

Yay, more competition! I wonder when PCI-E 4x M.2 SSDS will drop in price to near current high-end SATA SSD prices. Current prices are a little ridiculous to justify the expense, but I'm still itching to fill the slot on my mobo to use as an OS/program/games that I heavily modify like Skyrim, drive.

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

Me want

Seriously, I'd just want a 1-2TB 3D NAND M.2 SSD for storage, I don't really care about speed; already have a 950 Pro for that.

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

Nice, good to see more NVMe SSDs and looking forward for price dropping more and more.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Mmm.  Look at all that PLP on it.  Makes my stomach feel all fluttery.

4 hours ago, zMeul said:

wasn't Intel & Micron's 3D XPoint 2nd?!

3DXPoint isn't NAND flash of any kind. It's a completely new type of non-volatile memory. 

Also, product launch is probably around a year away. 

Technically Intel did this first with the M.2 drives it has in the Broadwell NUCs which have the same 3D NAND as their 750 NVMe drive, but Hynix is the first to directly sell a competitor.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

i really wish apple would of used a standard for the PCIe ssd's in the macs... i thought about getting a 512GB for my macbook pro (which was a gift from someone) but NOPE.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

8 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Technically Intel did this first with the M.2 drives it has in the Broadwell NUCs which have the same 3D NAND as their 750 NVMe drive, but Hynix is the first to directly sell a competitor.

AFAIK the 750 has planar NAND.

12 hours ago, Agost said:

Me want

Seriously, I'd just want a 1-2TB 3D NAND M.2 SSD for storage, I don't really care about speed; already have a 950 Pro for that.

^this.

I want storage size, for ma games. Damned loading screens.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

30 minutes ago, Agost said:

AFAIK the 750 has planar NAND.

No...

https://newsroom.intel.com/news-releases/micron-and-intel-unveil-new-3d-nand-flash-memory/

http://www.kitguru.net/components/ssd-drives/matthew-wilson/intel-shows-off-new-ssds-with-3d-nand/

The 750 is just the non-enterprise version of this. Exact same NAND chips.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

28 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

There's no mention of the 750 in those links

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-specifications/ssd-750-spec.pdf

These specs from Intel are reporting " 20nm MLC NAND", there's nothing about 3D NAND

Moreover, it has 128Gb chips (http://www.anandtech.com/show/9090/intel-ssd-750-pcie-ssd-review-nvme-for-the-client), and AFAIK the first 3D MLC chips from Intel are 256Gb each.

sweet! I just want the price to go down so I can get more fast storage. xD

The drive is good, Samsung seriousely needs some competition.

BUT the huge amount of tantalum condensators used are VERY bad. Digging for tantalum is extremly polluting and as en engineer myself I try to do everything to avoid them.

I assume the design constrains where terrible, but please you can't use so many of them.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

10 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

The drive is good, Samsung seriousely needs some competition.

BUT the huge amount of tantalum condensators used are VERY bad. Digging for tantalum is extremly polluting and as en engineer myself I try to do everything to avoid them.

I assume the design constrains where terrible, but please you can't use so many of them.

There really isnt any good alternative for power loss protection at this stage. 

Now can they get around to at least challenging Samsung in regards to the quality of their GDDR5?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

9 hours ago, It's me! said:

As in, suddenly losing power?

M8 put a tiny UPS onto it then if that shits so bad

9 hours ago, It's me! said:

Super-Cap / Gold-Cap, (recharge) battery, better algorithm so you can write the data faster into the flash, so you don't need that much energy, ...

There is a lot of variables I can think about. In an other project we once used a 0.4 mm thick Li-Ion battery that was intrgrated into a ragular bank card format.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil