New Apt, New Internet

Hey all! Got some questions regarding what to get for my new apartment. Basic specs: My bro and I, don't do much more than stream Netflix/YouTube, I game but not a whole lot of online except for some casual SCII and some open world like Fallout/Skyrim and so on. 

I would love love to have some recommendations on provider, speed, router and modem. 

Thanks in advance! Love this community. 

Kill the Machine!

A provider that does not suck or just what you can get in the area you move to.

20/1 or 20/2 should be more than enough

Just the basic router delivered by your ISP would most likely be sufficient.

Your ISP should supply you with a modem, so dont worry about that :) They will most likely give you a modem/router combo from Motorola, ZyXel, Cisco, Netgear, Tomson or Sagem

33 minutes ago, ACoffeeGuy said:

Hey all! Got some questions regarding what to get for my new apartment. Basic specs: My bro and I, don't do much more than stream Netflix/YouTube, I game but not a whole lot of online except for some casual SCII and some open world like Fallout/Skyrim and so on. 

I would love love to have some recommendations on provider, speed, router and modem. 

Thanks in advance! Love this community. 

Depending on how much streaming you do you'll really want to pay attention to data caps if the ISPs you're looking into have them. HD video will eat up a 300GB limit pretty quick if you don't pay attention to it.

I honestly didn't even know that was a thing. I'm pretty new to paying for Internet lol so there's a download limit?

Kill the Machine!

13 minutes ago, ACoffeeGuy said:

I honestly didn't even know that was a thing. I'm pretty new to paying for Internet lol so there's a download limit?

Hehe cute :D ask your senators about that... :P 

But yeah, in most areas where there are not a lot of competition from other ISPs, the American ISPs tends to be huge assholes :P Because they like money and tax incentives to grease politicians, so they can make even more money to crush competition :) Competition is bad for business, a huge fat monopoly is waaay better.. 

Its great! 

You should watch this: 

and this:

You should check your contract to know for sure if you have a bandwidth cap on your internet connection :) 

26 minutes ago, ACoffeeGuy said:

Depending on your area, depends on your ISP. For example, here in Romulus Mi, we have Comcast and ATT. There are a few providers who lease the phone lines from ATT to provide service. Thats all we have in this area. I know with some Apartment buildings they sign exclusive rights agreements and you might only be able to get one provider. I would ask you neighbors and see what they have. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.