Mac for video editing you know whats bull****

Lil Chillbil

I have a youtube channel, but it's been inactive for about a year for the most part. I used Sony Vegas Movie studio HD platinum to record gameplay videos :) Loved doing that.

I do um, pc stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqYDU7ej74U&feature=c4-overview&list=UUNucC7z-NhjhVg3R81Ud3MQ

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

I was actually just checking that video out. You had posted it on your  'What's on your mind' section. Pretty cool :)

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I was actually just checking that video out. You had posted it on your  'What's on your mind' section. Pretty cool :)

Thanks, a lot of people have been talking about my "cable lettuce management"  being horrible 

#KilledMyWife 

Thanks, a lot of people have been talking about my "cable lettuce management"  being horrible 

Well those people are just assholes. You can only do so much in a pc case that isn't optimized for cable management.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

It's funny how everybody thinks they are 'Pros' when uploading a video on youtube or recording gameplay footage.

Of course you need the latest multi-100$ video editing software to edit those short clips and no FCPX won't do it anymore :D

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

It's funny how everybody thinks they are 'Pros' when uploading a video on youtube or recording gameplay footage.

Of course you need the latest multi-100$ video editing software to edit those short clips and no FCPX won't do it anymore :D

I don't recall saying I was a pro at anything.....

Hail Sithis!

I don't recall saying I was a pro at anything.....

Oh, that wasn't a comment especially for you but rather a general one for all those here on this forum who NEED a 6 or 8-core (at least!) workstation to edit their value productions, have mastered all their pirated editing software and just realized they should upgrade to 4k ...

Calling for this thread to be locked, as its just a blatant attempt to start a flame war. Or, continue it at this rate...

This is how any threads with the word Mac in them end up.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

This is how any threads with the word Mac in them end up.

It's a shame really, I enjoy balanced arguments. I personally have and enjoy both systems. Each designed with different purposes in mind.

I have a PC as I love the sheer power, especially in rendering, multitasking and top end gaming, plus I LOVE to tinker and upgrade to my usage.

I have a Mac as I do find audio especially a far nicer experience on OS X. Also the build quality is one of the best, wouldn't by an iMac again though only MacBook Pro's are worth it in my eyes.

Oh, that wasn't a comment especially for you but rather a general one for all those here on this forum who NEED a 6 or 8-core (at least!) workstation to edit their value productions, have mastered all their pirated editing software and just realized they should upgrade to 4k ...

If it's their passion, why not pursue it? I have all my software legitimately :) 

Hail Sithis!

Calling for this thread to be locked, as its just a blatant attempt to start a flame war. Or, continue it at this rate...

Are you even serious? Did you even read the first post of this thread or any of the 'discussions'?

There were so many wrong statements and claims in this thread that haven been shown to be wrong, yet the bashing continued ...

Teacher, I recall being an asshole and saying I was pro for uploading short clips to the internet

post-20595-0-08505100-1380235810.jpg

#KilledMyWife 

Well I'm probably gonna be sorry for stepping into this subject but what the hell. I've been a professional graphic designer for 10-11 years, and I always used PC's. Although there was a time that I wanted to buy a Mac,but back then OS X was far more stable compared to windows 98 or xp..Mac where faster and aesthetically more appealing. and yes more expensive. Pros did use them more,especially in mine line of work, even now when pc-s look amazing,people sometimes expect from people that do "creative" work to use mac's. It's almost like just because of its price people think that you are not "an accomplished designer" without a mac,because apparently you are not successful enough to be able to afford a mac. This quite frankly is a bunch of crap...but it's true. Come to a meeting with a Mac pro, or a  crappy looking but more powerful PC laptop, and people tend to look at you differently. Yes it is stupid, and yes it is true. Appearances, appearances...

So what's the main difference from a PC user and Mac user? in my opinion is the willingness to customize your work machine and build it yourself or if you are a mac user to work with something that works right out of the box. When we talk about "computing power" yeah let's face it PC's outrun macs because they are more customizable and cheaper, but thing is you can do excellent work on a crappy old PC and/or on a Mac.   Back in the day I was using a old single core athlon with 512 Mb of RAM (DDR2) to make 100cmx70cm, 300 dpi posters for a club in my town. It was a pain in the ass, so goddamn slow, but I did produce some quality work back then. I still do posters of this size, it takes less time to render them, but the result is the same...good quality product. So my point is if you are a pro, you use your brain and skills not a computer to do your work,and your machine is just your tool. Apart from their looks i don't like apple products any more, I don't like how their platform is so closed. In the world of sharing stuff this I find stupid. They live on old fame when they were more stable and quite frankly faster than PC's. But PC has evolved, looks better runs faster cost less. Do pros use mac? Yes Do pros use PC's ? hell yeah. Which are better? For me PC's but I'm sure that the mac users have their reasons too..also we all get used to a certain platform and we are all pretty stubborn when it comes to change... Have in mind that great work comes from a great mind not a great computer, there are some limitations but after a certain point it your thought and idea's that make the difference. 

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."

I agree, but the issue I think drives people to mac much the way I did, is I started out on an old celeron intel hd graphics 1 machine with 256mb of ram running xp and then I go and use a powermac g4 and it seems so awesome. So you think that all pc's are like that and that they can't utilize hardware as well as mac. I am a survivor and so glad that I was waken up with the death of Steve to find myself in a world where macs are **** 

#KilledMyWife 

I agree, but the issue I think drives people to mac much the way I did, is I started out on an old celeron intel hd graphics 1 machine with 256mb of ram running xp and then I go and use a powermac g4 and it seems so awesome. So you think that all pc's are like that and that they can't utilize hardware as well as mac. I am a survivor and so glad that I was waken up with the death of Steve to find myself in a world where macs are **** 

well that's why you have guys like Linus,Logan,Paul, Lew  to teach you about hardware and stuff about tech products...if you want to be a pro you need to keep the open mind and educate yourself.

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."

I personally believe that Macs are a waste of money in terms of Mac Pros. Simply because now a days, we can build hackintoshes.

iMacs do have their benefits. They are extremely nice computers as long as you don't over spend on specs.

But I do believe that their Macbook lines are the best laptops on the market.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

I personally believe that Macs are a waste of money in terms of Mac Pros. Simply because now a days, we can build hackintoshes.

iMacs do have their benefits. They are extremely nice computers as long as you don't over spend on specs.

But I do believe that their Macbook lines are the best laptops on the market.

Agree, except the iMac isn't worth it (trust me I've been there xD). Really MacBook's are the only Apple computers I'd buy again, I chop and change with their systems though, I've sold both my MacBook and iMac (2009 and 2011 i7, respectively) to upgrade my PC.

I will certainly be buying a MacBook again in the future, loved the thing, but it needed an upgrade anyway.  :P

Agree, except the iMac isn't worth it (trust me I've been there xD). Really MacBook's are the only Apple computers I'd buy again, I chop and change with their systems though, I've sold both my MacBook and iMac (2009 and 2011 i7, respectively) to upgrade my PC.

I will certainly be buying a MacBook again in the future, loved the thing, but it needed an upgrade anyway.  :P

1440p screen, with 8GB of RAM, 3.2Ghz Quad core i5, 1TB HDD and a GT 755M 1GB for $1,800 is a bit pricy, but it's still not that bad.

It's an all in one with a 1440p screen that is great.

Hell, the 1080p with Iris Pro, 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM, and 2.7GHz quad isn't that bad either.

Apple devices will always be a more expensive than the competition, but it's always a premium. It's like I said before. Apple is like a luxury car while other brands are more so normal cars. Normal cars depreciate greatly, luxury cars do not.

Personally, I want an iMac. A 27" maxed out. But I'll get an iMac once 4K is the screen resolution.

Agree on the Macbook. Don't really like apple but the Macbooks are nice. :)

Hail Sithis!

1440p screen, with 8GB of RAM, 3.2Ghz Quad core i5, 1TB HDD and a GT 755M 1GB for $1,800 is a bit pricy, but it's still not that bad.

It's an all in one with a 1440p screen that is great.

Hell, the 1080p with Iris Pro, 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM, and 2.7GHz quad isn't that bad either.

Apple devices will always be a more expensive than the competition, but it's always a premium. It's like I said before. Apple is like a luxury car while other brands are more so normal cars. Normal cars depreciate greatly, luxury cars do not.

Personally, I want an iMac. A 27" maxed out. But I'll get an iMac once 4K is the screen resolution.

I agree that its a good price for an all in one, but it comes down to personal preference.

If I had my PC how I would like it, I'd certainly get another iMac, i really liked it! I always agreed that the 27" was the better value just because you are getting a 27" 1440p panel and a decent computer for a good price.

Just have to see what the future holds, would love touchID to be included in the MacBooks.. :)

I agree that its a good price for an all in one, but it comes down to personal preference.

If I had my PC how I would like it, I'd certainly get another iMac, i really liked it! I always agreed that the 27" was the better value just because you are getting a 27" 1440p panel and a decent computer for a good price.

Just have to see what the future holds, would love touchID to be included in the MacBooks.. :)

Meanwhile i'm hooking up Tri 1080p displays to my $1000 pc for editing... but go ahead enjoy your single 1440p display :P

#KilledMyWife 

Meanwhile i'm hooking up Tri 1080p displays to my $1000 pc for editing... but go ahead enjoy your single 1440p display :P

1440 p is awesome, 3 screens are awesome too,BUT 16:10 is the aspect ratio you should be aiming for... also it's not the size that matters (unlike in life :D) it's the quality. If you are going to be a pro wide gamut monitor is a must have, or at least one of those dells with "fake" 8 bit color panel...6bit +2 (google it).  You should have your Adobe workspace set to Adobe RGB not sRGB and have a panel with alt least 90% of Adobe RGB coverage. (also your cameras should be set up to shoot in that mode). Also invest in a colorimeter (like colormunki or spyder 4 pro)... Honestly iMac has a pretty mediocre 6 bit   e-IPS(or eh-IPS) panel (and it's glossy) ...bigger resolution means more work space not good colors and good contrast (the glossy panel tricks you into believing that your contrast ratio is better)...I tested the iMac one of my friend has, and the screen is over bright and not so good at all...and trust me in video/photography /graphic design and other color critical work you really don't want to work on a project for 2-3 months and see it look like shit when it comes out from the printing...so spend some decent money on a screen, something like asus PA series and if you can afford it go for a higher grade monitor like EIZO or LaCie...a Gb of RAM lees or more will not be that important...This is why I like PC's you can adjust them to your own purpose, Mac's aren't so specifically tuned to a content creators needs, and the mac pro is currently really outdated...

in my opinion is the willingness to customize your work machine and build it yourself or if you are a mac user to work with something that works right out of the box. When we talk about "computing power" yeah let's face it PC's outrun macs because they are more customizable and cheaper, but thing is you can do excellent work on a crappy old PC and/or on a Mac.

The difference between a Mac Pro and a workstation from Dell, HP or Lenovo is (or at least was) minimal. If you charge a rate (!=income !) of 50-150$ per hour as a professional and you take 20 hours to research, buy and build you custom system that is equal to an assembled system, you need to save between 1000-3000$ on that system to break even, and you don't get any kind of support or service with that!

Again, if you calculate the time you need extra to plan a and build hackintosh and to figure out some troubles(and there always are), it probably is cheaper to buy a Mac or pre built machine.
 If you are going to be a pro wide gamut monitor is a must have, or at least one of those dells with "fake" 8 bit color panel...6bit +2 (google it).  You should have your Adobe workspace set to Adobe RGB not sRGB and have a panel with alt least 90% of Adobe RGB coverage. (also your cameras should be set up to shoot in that mode).

I tend to disagree. Especially if you do a lot of photography work for online publishing, I would always prefer a true sRGB panel and not a wide garmut one with emulate sRGB mode ...

1440 p is awesome, 3 screens are awesome too,BUT 16:10 is the aspect ratio you should be aiming for... also it's not the size that matters (unlike in life :D) it's the quality. If you are going to be a pro wide gamut monitor is a must have, or at least one of those dells with "fake" 8 bit color panel...6bit +2 (google it).  You should have your Adobe workspace set to Adobe RGB not sRGB and have a panel with alt least 90% of Adobe RGB coverage. (also your cameras should be set up to shoot in that mode). Also invest in a colorimeter (like colormunki or spyder 4 pro)... Honestly iMac has a pretty mediocre 6 bit   e-IPS(or eh-IPS) panel (and it's glossy) ...bigger resolution means more work space not good colors and good contrast (the glossy panel tricks you into believing that your contrast ratio is better)...I tested the iMac one of my friend has, and the screen is over bright and not so good at all...and trust me in video/photography /graphic design and other color critical work you really don't want to work on a project for 2-3 months and see it look like shit when it comes out from the printing...so spend some decent money on a screen, something like asus PA series and if you can afford it go for a higher grade monitor like EIZO or LaCie...a Gb of RAM lees or more will not be that important...This is why I like PC's you can adjust them to your own purpose, Mac's aren't so specifically tuned to a content creators needs, and the mac pro is currently really outdated...

I'm running 2 of the 1st run of "video/color editing" class panels from like 2005 off of dvi. They may be 1600x900 but these were some killer panels back in the day. 

#KilledMyWife