Mac for video editing you know whats bull****

Lil Chillbil

Don't know exactly how powerful it is haven't looked into it much so don't know if ITX could compete form factor wise personally I've never cared for form factor 

worth a look at...if you can look past Apple's crappy marketing attempt

http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

The formfactor is mainly for hipsters. I mean seriously there is NO expand-ability. 

There was a huge discussion on another forum with lots of real professionals. Some love it, some hate it.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

The formfactor is mainly for hipsters. I mean seriously there is NO expand-ability. 

HIPSTERS????

When have you ever heard of a mac pro user worrying about "expandibility"???

The main point of the form factor is SIZE! its a dual workstation GPU setup? 

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

HIPSTERS????

When have you ever heard of a mac pro user worrying about "expandibility"???

The main point of the form factor is SIZE! its a dual workstation GPU setup? 

You have obviously never spent any sort of time on the macrumors forum

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1621534

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

worth a look at...if you can look past Apple's crappy marketing attempt

http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

I may have a quick look at specs and size, on the fence about the design then again I hated the prodigy a few months back now I really want one so my opinion changes on design a fair bit

Overall I will never get a mac not just because I dislike apple and find all their products to be overpriced but because I hate osx after using windows for so long I turn full retard when infront of a mac :P

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

Overall I will never get a mac not just because I dislike apple and find all their products to be overpriced but because I hate osx after using windows for so long I turn full retard when infront of a mac :P

Well after spending about 8-10h a day in front of a windows 7 pc with office 2010 for the last 6 months I really dislike office 2011 for mac and hope, that the 2014 version will improve the experience.

You have obviously never spent any sort of time on the macrumors forum

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1621534

No i have. but that doesnt change the fact of my opinion. i think extra PCI slots are pretty pointless for video card expandibility if youre running DUAL firepro cards. 

The thing is many professionals and/or company's nowadays don't buy their hardware, but rather just lease them for 3 years.

One major thing with is OS X is/was that you could just pull out the hdd out of a defective or old unit and put it in another mac without any issues or need to install any drivers.

With the new Mac Pro people would just connect a Thunderbolt SSD Raid and put the OS and all programms on that. If they have to change system they just disconnect a single cable.

@MrSuperb I challenge you

200mhz processor difference is neglegable for the $400 price difference

Pc http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230672&name=Laptops-Notebooks $2,269

Mac (same specs) http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD103LL/A? $2,599.00

now for the desktop

Pc 

mac http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD770LL/A?

#KilledMyWife 

No i have. but that doesnt change the fact of my opinion. i think extra PCI slots are pretty pointless for video card expandibility if youre running DUAL firepro cards. 

yes the specs are extremely impressive FOR THE SIZE but I in 4 years my current pc will still be humming along with a new 880 and a broadwell i5 in the same case while those who buy a mac mini will be stuck with hd graphics forever and ever 

#KilledMyWife 

@MrSuperb I challenge you

200mhz processor difference is neglegable for the $400 price difference

Pc http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230672&name=Laptops-Notebooks $2,269

Mac (same specs) http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD103LL/A? $2,599.00

now for the desktop

Pc 

mac http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD770LL/A?

meh .. 1899$ (MBP Hi Res) + 350$ (500GB SSD) + 60$ (8GB Ram).

The MBP has still the better build quality, support to output to a 1440p/1600p monitor, ...

Also I don't really think those two product really represent Apples current product portfolio. They will both be phased out really soon. The Macbook Pro Retina is  the better deal. Also for the Mac Pro .... It is basically 3 years old, the only reason it is still sold, is because some professionals want it. But please try to build a 2P Xeon System with eec ram and don't cheap out on the aluminium caseing for signifcanlty less.

yes the specs are extremely impressive FOR THE SIZE but I in 4 years my current pc will still be humming along with a new 880 and a broadwell i5 in the same case while those who buy a mac mini will be stuck with hd graphics forever and ever 

In 3-4 years this will just be replaced. In bigger production companys maybe even earlier.

meh .. 1899$ (MBP Hi Res) + 350$ (500GB SSD) + 60$ (8GB Ram).

The MBP has still the better build quality, support to output to a 1440p/1600p monitor, ...

Also I don't really think those two product really represent Apples current product portfolio. They will both be phased out really soon. The Macbook Pro Retina is  the better deal. Also for the Mac Pro .... It is basically 3 years old, the only reason it is still sold, is because some professionals want it. But please try to build a 2P Xeon System with eec ram and don't cheap out on the aluminium caseing for signifcanlty less.

are you with us or are you against us?

-The Pc gaming community 

Why you continue to support apple in this argument is beyond me. Yes they are cheaper TODAY but it will cost you an arm and a leg to upgrade TOMMOROW 

you are both right and wrong 

#KilledMyWife 

are you with us or are you against us?

-The Pc gaming community 

Why you continue to support apple in this argument is beyond me. Yes they are cheaper TODAY but it will cost you an arm and a leg to upgrade TOMMOROW 

you are both right and wrong 

I don't like this 'side picking and trashing the other other side for no real reason' game.

Also I never saw LinusTechTips as a pc gaming community.

I don't like this 'side picking and trashing the other other side for no real reason' game.

Also I never saw LinusTechTips as a pc gaming community.

I requested and requested and requested over and over again that we get a mac side but @Windspeed36 didn't put one in there. We are a pc gaming community at heart 

#KilledMyWife 

I requested and requested and requested over and over again that we get a mac side but @Windspeed36 didn't put one in there. We are a pc gaming community at heart 

I would say we are a tech community that largely revolves around pcs and with that a lot of us build our machines to game 

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

As much as people are disagreeing with @MrSuperb he's absolutely right, Mac workstations are still being used because of a number of reasons, including FCP, whether it's because it's what the studio used before or because the editor learned on FCP and wants to use it. It's easy to forget how much of a niche market PC building is. There absolutely are better portable computing options than a MBP, however we know where to look for them. I know for a fact that many studio's haven't even heard of MSI or Clevo, and moreso, many editors have never built a computer in their life, and are still under the impression that lots of RAM = fast compute performance. And it's not their fault, Microsoft hasn't even attempted to engage the content creation market, neither has Intel or AMD to any substantial amount. The interest and education simply doesn't exist. Apple did a stellar job nailing the content creation market when they did, and that's why they've held such a long monopoly on it. With that being said, has anyone been paying close attention to Adobe's actions over the last couple of years? Switching to CC and to OpenCL, or even subtle things like darker themed software and an interestingly similar default workspace layout in Premiere as FCP aren't only business and compatibility moves. They're preparing for a massive market takeover, which is going to start very soon. Apple has been too long out of the market, and FCP simply isn't competition for Premiere anymore, especially seeing as Premiere is cross platform. I can't say much, but if you're starting higher level/ university education in the next year or two, don't buy editing softwares, you may find yourself in possession of a certain software through your study, for free. Keep in mind the benefits of cloud licensing, like multi platform support and multi machine support. Now if all of the young editors and content creators had learned on Adobe softwares, there wouldn't be much room left for Apple, would there? Adobe's swap to OpenCL and/or immensely powerful APU's also makes me think that AMD's next release may be quite targeted towards graphics acceleration. Food for thought   :)

As much as people are disagreeing with @MrSuperb he's absolutely right, Mac workstations are still being used because of a number of reasons, including FCP, whether it's because it's what the studio used before or because the editor learned on FCP and wants to use it. It's easy to forget how much of a niche market PC building is. There absolutely are better portable computing options than a MBP, however we know where to look for them. I know for a fact that many studio's haven't even heard of MSI or Clevo, and moreso, many editors have never built a computer in their life, and are still under the impression that lots of RAM = fast compute performance. And it's not their fault, Microsoft hasn't even attempted to engage the content creation market, neither has Intel or AMD to any substantial amount. The interest and education simply doesn't exist. Apple did a stellar job nailing the content creation market when they did, and that's why they've held such a long monopoly on it. With that being said, has anyone been paying close attention to Adobe's actions over the last couple of years? Switching to CC and to OpenGL, or even subtle things like darker themed software and an interestingly similar default workspace layout in Premiere as FCP aren't only business and compatibility moves. They're preparing for a massive market takeover, which is going to start very soon. Apple has been too long out of the market, and FCP simply isn't competition for Premiere anymore, especially seeing as Premiere is cross platform. I can't say much, but if you're starting higher level/ university education in the next year or two, don't buy editing softwares, you may find yourself in possession of a certain software through your study, for free. Keep in mind the benefits of cloud licensing, like multi platform support and multi machine support. Now if all of the young editors and content creators had learned on Adobe softwares, there wouldn't be much room left for Apple, would there? Adobe's swap to OpenGL and/or immensely powerful APU's also makes me think that AMD's next release may be quite targeted towards graphics acceleration. Food for thought  :)

I completely agree with you, 

#KilledMyWife 

He is my view on Mac vs PC

Mac, they are fantastic machines, there is no denying that fact. their specs you can get for a hell of lot cheaper, bu their main bread and butter is the OS. it runs smoothly and allows for easy installation of software and programs with little to no issue, just drag and drop and the install is done. People who use macs are typicaly people who dont know much about tech, but they re creative people who look to get a machine that will work for years. and lets face it they do. I still have a 2005 Macbook pro that works like a charm still.

How ever, if you want or need something done which would take 2 minutes on a windows based pc, can take hours and leave people pissed off ( I found this issue when I wanted to mak a bootable USB stick, Mac wouldnt do it had to load up a Virtual machine with windows to do it which took all of 30 seconds)

Also, Mac computers are a bitch to upgrade, they dont like to support their end users with easy upgrading. you pay a premium to get parts instaled and a bitch of a labor charge thrown on top. and as years pass, they like to make it harder and harder for people to upgrade their machine by fixing parts down.

Now for PC. they can be a bitch at times, al the viruses are aimed to take these fuckers at and you will always at some point end up with a virus on your machine which wil drive you to get a friend to fix it because you've had enough and want to throw it out the window.

the same people that will buy a mac are the same people that buy a PC, although the main reason they buy a pc is because their student loan is too little to be able to afford a mac, or their tutor uses a windows based PC instead of a Mac, say wha you like its the truth with these creative bastards, they wil use what they get taught on and be stubborn till the end.

But you will find that alot of these musicians/editors/animators end up saying "Damn i wish i had more ram" and this hiss at their bank balance because they cant afford to buy a whole new mac jus so that they can get more ram and features. while their PC gaming friends sits next to them with a huge grin on his face saying. I need more ram too....O look, I just brought some, And i can pick it u in store and i can install it by the end of the day" and this is one of the biggest reasons I know why my Mac addicted friends end up switching from Mac to PC, they also seem surprised when I tell them what a hackintosh is. as if to say..I can have the advantage of a PC while still using the OS I like and know how to use.

In simple, You can do far more with a PC than what you can with a Mac and one of those things include turning it into a mac..... every thing is easier. its easy to upgrade, its easy to maintain and its cheaper too.

so in recap, the Apple OS = blliant , their computers alot to be desired.

Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini / Motherboard:GigaByte G1-Sniper-M5 / CPU: Intel 4670k / Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz / GPU: Asus GTX770 Direct CU 2GB / PSU: OCZ ZT650 / SSD: 2xSamsung 840 240GB / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB / Cooler: Corsair H100i / Fans: 3x Corsair AF120 + 2 Corsair SP120 / Mouse: Corsair M65 / Keyboard: Cheap Crap/ Headset: Razer Kraken / Misk: 3DConnexion mouse / Flight stick: Cyborg F.L.Y 5

H

This^ 

But this thread was purely about hating on the the guy who I linked to in the start of the thread. Regardless I really don't like it that he said "You go into every pro studio and they are using a mac" this is what bugged me 

#KilledMyWife 

This^ 

But this thread was purely about hating on the the guy who I linked to in the start of the thread. Regardless I really don't like it that he said "You go into every pro studio and they are using a mac" this is what bugged me 

truth is, publishers and illustrators, yeah you will see alot of macs. same with music studios too, cubase seems to have been pushed aside for the mac. but video editing/animation/VFX etc, you will find they mostly use windows based machines.

But in al honesty it is down to what they get taught on. the reason the video editors and animators use the windows based machines still is because the programs they use are windows based and not on mac or because they have compatablity issue trying ot get their hardware working with the mac, where as windows drivers are always the first on the list.

Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini / Motherboard:GigaByte G1-Sniper-M5 / CPU: Intel 4670k / Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz / GPU: Asus GTX770 Direct CU 2GB / PSU: OCZ ZT650 / SSD: 2xSamsung 840 240GB / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB / Cooler: Corsair H100i / Fans: 3x Corsair AF120 + 2 Corsair SP120 / Mouse: Corsair M65 / Keyboard: Cheap Crap/ Headset: Razer Kraken / Misk: 3DConnexion mouse / Flight stick: Cyborg F.L.Y 5

I can't think of a reason that Mac are better than PC. I understand that back in XP age, Mac are more reliable, but now windows are more reliable than OSX, I never had a single crash when I'm using PremierePro 

In a professional environment the cost of the mac is negligible. The time it needs to read into the topic might cost you more then what you would save.

Try to build a Macbook Pro for the same price and fail.

But do you know what I mean. Also you could get a much better windows laptop for editing for the same price.

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

I can't think of a reason that Mac are better than PC. I understand that back in XP age, Mac are more reliable, but now windows are more reliable than OSX, I never had a single crash when I'm using PremierePro 

Exactly, and its not like I am a person who just never got a mac I owned a G5 up until 2 weeks ago and  powerbook g4. I used a xl1 and final cut pro and it was a decent editing experience but then I go over to pc and premiere is just a dream. Its like I was home again (I was taught on a pc) 

#KilledMyWife 

Exactly, and its not like I am a person who just never got a mac I owned a G5 up until 2 weeks ago and  powerbook g4. I used a xl1 and final cut pro and it was a decent editing experience but then I go over to pc and premiere is just a dream. Its like I was home again (I was taught on a pc) 

So you had two MINIMUM 7.5 year old Macs and are wondering that your experience to a modern pc is better :D ?

Try editing something on a Penitum D from 2005 with Premiere ....