Debit card question?

Theminecraftaddict555
Go to solution Solved by Donut417,
1 minute ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

Okay thanks! and can you clarify what Omon is saying is true? Just to decrease my paranoia

Who knows. I have purchased over 2000 dollars worth of stuff online. NEVER been asked for a pin. Generally they need the 3 number CCV code on the back of the card. 

I recently switched from my Visa credit card to a Visa payroll Debit card for job purposes...I heard that it is recommended you should never buy stuff online with the debit card due to the high chance of theft, is that true or are there certain standards for that statement?  (Planning to buy stuff from amazon, newegg, ncix us, best buy, and walmart)

Also, any tips to help reduce the chance of theft, unless it is the same concept as the credit card...

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

I use mine online all the time and haven't had a problem. As far as I know, the encryption is the same if you are using a credit card or a debit card.

1 hour ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

I recently switched from my Visa credit card to a Visa payroll Debit card for job purposes...I heard that it is recommended you should never buy stuff online with the debit card due to the high chance of theft, is that true or are there certain standards for that statement?  (Planning to buy stuff from amazon, newegg, ncix us, best buy, and walmart)

Also, any tips to help reduce the chance of theft, unless it is the same concept as the credit card...

Your Debit Card will be run as a credit card on online purchases. In order for it to run as Debit you have to put a pin in. When its run as a credit it has similar protections to a credit card. Most banks are good at catching iffy looking transactions. I personally use pay pal, but Google Wallet also exists. 

From some one who has had his card used illegally before twice. TCF bank was good about notifying me and getting my money back. In my case some ASS HOLE put a skimmer in the card machine at the Gas station. I dont carry cash so, yeah. Its a big issues here in the Metro Detroit area. 

Your probably safer on online purchases. Because you can get card readers that can read the magnetic strip when some one swipes their card. Where as online they would have to break in to the companies servers and steal it that way. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 4/16/2016 at 10:26 PM, Donut417 said:

Your Debit Card will be run as a credit card on online purchases. In order for it to run as Debit you have to put a pin in. When its run as a credit it has similar protections to a credit card. Most banks are good at catching iffy looking transactions. I personally use pay pal, but Google Wallet also exists. 

From some one who has had his card used illegally before twice. TCF bank was good about notifying me and getting my money back. In my case some ASS HOLE put a skimmer in the card machine at the Gas station. I dont carry cash so, yeah. Its a big issues here in the Metro Detroit area. 

Your probably safer on online purchases. Because you can get card readers that can read the magnetic strip when some one swipes their card. Where as online they would have to break in to the companies servers and steal it that way. 

So I would be able to use my debit card pin online and the site would treat it as a credit card?

Also is paychekplus considered a banK or a website? 

5 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

So I would be able to use my debit card pin online and the site would treat it as a credit card?

I would avoid using your debit pin online. You could setup PayPal to charge your debit card, to give yourself a bit more separation; but for the most part banks aren't too bad at picking up strange transactions and will generally put a hold on anything out of the ordinary. If you really are concerned just buy those pre-paid Visa/AmEx cards (there is a small service fee) and use those.

10 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

No. You give them the card number and no pin. It will be treated as a credit card. Its only treated as debit if you enter a pin. Online retailers will not have you enter a pin. Then cant accept a pin. You have more of a chance of some ass hole having a card reader at a store and steal your info that way then some one breaking in to some retailers server and getting the card data that way. I think your worrying about nothing. 

Fun fact. The difference between credit and debit:

Credit cards have a fee that the retailer has to pay to the card company like Visa. Thats why gas stations here in Michigan charge 10 cents per gallon more on credit card purchases. Money is not directly taken out until it has processed. Generally an authorization hold is put on the card before they take the money. 

Debit cards the fees are paid by the card holder. Generally they show up as bank fees. Also the money is taken directly out of your account at time of purchase. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

No. You give them the card number and no pin. It will be treated as a credit card. Its only treated as debit if you enter a pin. Online retailers will not have you enter a pin. Then cant accept a pin. You have more of a chance of some ass hole having a card reader at a store and steal your info that way then some one breaking in to some retailers server and getting the card data that way. I think your worrying about nothing. 

Okay thanks! and can you clarify what Omon is saying is true? Just to decrease my paranoia

1 minute ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

Who knows. I have purchased over 2000 dollars worth of stuff online. NEVER been asked for a pin. Generally they need the 3 number CCV code on the back of the card. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Who knows. I have purchased over 2000 dollars worth of stuff online. NEVER been asked for a pin. 

Yeah thanks for the info 

I've always used my debit card. Just do it through trustworthy sites. My bank puts a 24 hour hold on anything charged as credit. Even then, if there is something I question I use paypal. If they don't accept paypal then I don't trust them to get my money. 

Only thing that should ask for your PIN is a physical swipe/RFID POS system. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

There is a chance but it is overstated. You can just link the card to paypal as stated and if you wanna be extra careful, ask you bank for a second checking account. If it is the same bank as your work debit card then you can just transfer what you need for payments to the second checking account and use that debit card.

That way, the risk of theft or lost funds is actually extremely acceptable vs the risk of crippling debt that quickly spirals out of control if you keep using a credit card.

-------

Current Rig

-------