Stock Case Fan Problem

The_Denks

Hello there

I have a Apevia X-Sniper2, which comes with a blue led MOLEX fan in the front.

Would I be able to buy an adapter to be able to hook it into my mobo, other wise, it would run directly from the PSU at full power (from what I read these stock fans are very lound at max)

Thanks

Callum

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

i wouldn't even waste the money on an adapter. just mod the fan to run on 5v by only having the a black and red wires connecting.

Yes, you can buy molex to 3pin adapter. But it would still depend on mobo or hardware controller if you can lower speed or not.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Well its weird because there are only 2 wires from the connector to the fan, as if it is only designed to run at full power, Meaning the motor and LED's are wired in series, meaning if I decreased power to fan, the lights would dim.

Roses are red

My name is Roy

well yeah most cheap fans are like that. so.... no matter what you go about do this. lower speed = dimmer light.

1 hour ago, narrdarr said:

well yeah most cheap fans are like that. so.... no matter what you go about do this. lower speed = dimmer light.

Do you know of a model of LED fans that won't dim its light according to its voltage input?

I'm looking for fans that do full LED when on and only turn off when the fan is off. Is that possible?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

I haven't looked into it much lately, but bitfenix makes one that you can hook up to their fan and led controller.

Or if you want to do something custom just find a led fan that uses a diode to send power to fan and led at the same time. remove the diode and add a 12v wire directly to the led line( and of course ground it.) if you want to be able to turn the led on/off put a switch on the 12v lead or if you want to make it fade use a turn dial switch to reduce the voltage input. 

there is a somewhat older video on this, but its pretty easy.

25 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

I haven't looked into it much lately, but bitfenix makes one that you can hook up to their fan and led controller.

Or if you want to do something custom just find a led fan that uses a diode to send power to fan and led at the same time. remove the diode and add a 12v wire directly to the led line( and of course ground it.) if you want to be able to turn the led on/off put a switch on the 12v lead or if you want to make it fade use a turn dial switch to reduce the voltage input. 

there is a somewhat older video on this, but its pretty easy.

That's really cool. Electronics are very interesting.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

10 hours ago, Energycore said:

Do you know of a model of LED fans that won't dim its light according to its voltage input?

I'm looking for fans that do full LED when on and only turn off when the fan is off. Is that possible?

There are some LED fans which have separated power connectors for fan  and LED.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Every single PWM LED fan can be controlled without dimming the LED's. I think even 3 pin fans have that feature

Roses are red

My name is Roy

14 hours ago, UberGamerKing said:

Every single PWM LED fan can be controlled without dimming the LED's. I think even 3 pin fans have that feature

Idk about PWM. That might well be true. But 3pins are voltage controlled and LED uses same power with fan. So if you limit power for fan, you limit power to LED as well.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Nah bruh

3pin fans have a variable resistor build into them, so 2 of the pins and positive and negative, while the 3rd wire/pin controls the resistance going into the motor.

This means the LED's are always receiving full power while the motor is being controlled in a parallel circuit

Untitled.png

Roses are red

My name is Roy

13 hours ago, UberGamerKing said:

Nah bruh

3pin fans have a variable resistor build into them, so 2 of the pins and positive and negative, while the 3rd wire/pin controls the resistance going into the motor.

This means the LED's are always receiving full power while the motor is being controlled in a parallel circuit

Untitled.png

You need to quote me if this was intended as reply. And I'm not sure if we are talking about same kinda 3pin fans here. In the normal 3pins 3rd wire is rpm sensor. I know there's fans with dedicated power connector for LED with two connected pins (pwr and gnd ). I would appreciate if you can link to pic of actual motor to prove me wrong.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

You need to quote me if this was intended as reply. And I'm not sure if we are talking about same kinda 3pin fans here. In the normal 3pins 3rd wire is rpm sensor. I know there's fans with dedicated power connector for LED with two connected pins (pwr and gnd ). I would appreciate if you can link to pic of actual motor to prove me wrong.

This is the standard of fans in England. I moved to Seattle and of ll things, I wouldn't have thought the way 3pin pc fans work would be different.

The red box is surrounding the variable resistor in one of my fans.

howbrushlessmotorswork_1269513353.jpg

Roses are red

My name is Roy

2 hours ago, UberGamerKing said:

This is the standard of fans in England. I moved to Seattle and of ll things, I wouldn't have thought the way 3pin pc fans work would be different.

The red box is surrounding the variable resistor in one of my fans.

howbrushlessmotorswork_1269513353.jpg

Fine. But we do agree that it takes power from PWR wire and not rpm sensor, right? Or does that fan not have rpm sensor.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Fine. But we do agree that it takes power from PWR wire and not rpm sensor, right? Or does that fan not have rpm sensor.

I agree it takes power from PWR, but the variable resistor is controlled by the 3rd wire. In 4 pins, the 4th wire is the rpm sensor

Roses are red

My name is Roy

2 hours ago, UberGamerKing said:

I agree it takes power from PWR, but the variable resistor is controlled by the 3rd wire. In 4 pins, the 4th wire is the rpm sensor

Weird. I would think people want rpm sensor prior to LEDs being bright all the time. Since mobo can't control speed without it. And that there isn't any PWM LED fans. And that mobo pins don't correlate to those fans.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv