Why do I need to get a platinum?

FirstTimePC

Every time I post my build to this forums, people always comment on how bad my psu is. They keep on recommending me a platinum or a gold, so what is the difference and do I really need gold/platinum? It is $40 more expensive, but I want to save cash. So is an EVGA bronze good enough or do I really need to get a platinum for $89? or a gold at $80?

The rating is for the efficiency of the psu and doesn't determine the quality. The only reason higher efficiency ratings are relevant would be for less power consumption, lower heat, or bragging rights. 

That being said, the correlation of psu recommendations and ratings are only that--correlation. EVGA's bronze and gold rated psus differ in quality and not only efficiency rating. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I am not concerned about my power usage. I don't mind spending extra on electricity bills but people keep on urging me to not get a bronze ;/

Just because the power supply is Bronze rated does not mean it is bad. Just as any power supply, there are good units and bad units in every tier of 80+ efficiency.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

3 minutes ago, FirstTimePC said:

I am not concerned about my power usage. I don't mind spending extra on electricity bills but people keep on urging me to not get a bronze ;/

don't worry about bronze, i've had one for at least 6 years and nothing bad has happened  =D

Just now, wcreek said:

Well as @WoodenMarker said, EVGA Bronze and Gold PSUs do differ but they're still both good models.
Well at least the 500B and the G2/GS. Not sure about the 600B...

The 600B1 is about as good as the 500B1. G2/GS are both better than B1's

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I would rather get a EVGA Supernova 750 B2 (bronze) over a EVGA Supernova 750w G1 (Gold), while I rather get a G2/GS/GQ (Gold) over the B1 (Bronze).

It's a matter of what specific unit we are talking about and the price of those unit to determine whether or not you should get something.

12 minutes ago, FirstTimePC said:

Every time I post my build to this forums, people always comment on how bad my psu is. They keep on recommending me a platinum or a gold, so what is the difference and do I really need gold/platinum? It is $40 more expensive, but I want to save cash. So is an EVGA bronze good enough or do I really need to get a platinum for $89? or a gold at $80?

The efficiency rating itself doesnt matter for anything but power consumption, but higher efficiency tend to mean higher quality. 

Now, having said that, there is nothing wrong with 80+ bronze, there are just a lot more bad bronze PSUs than there are bad gold PSUs. 

This for example is a great PSU, and it is 80+ bronze.  

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

I got a platinum because it was only 10 dollars more expensive.

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

I bought my Platinum PSU because it was somehow cheaper than a Bronze 500W Seasonic PSU. And damn this Superflower is awesome.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case.