Will Google's new project make humans immortal?

Ethnod

Seems Google is getting into life extension technology... Google just has its fingers in all the pies now at this stage.

So they formed a company called Calico which will be led by Apple chairman Arthur Levinson. Larry Page, Google's co-founder, said "it would focus on health and wellbeing, in particular the challenge of ageing and associated diseases".

So they are basically looking into life extension, seems there has already been a lot of research in this area and some discoveries leading some "Life Extension Scientists" so say that in as little as 20 years we could have life extension technology.

On a personal note, why would you want to be immortal? What I would like is to have a better quality of life while I was here. My Dad is 60 now and is blind in one eye, has Arthritis, Diabities, no strength or any kind of fitness level any more and well the list goes on. I would like to get rid of my own Arthritis tbh (I have early onset Arthritis, had it since I was 20, 35 now) and have a healthier life but life 200-300 years... man, why? Would you not go insane?

Any way, what ya think?

Source:

http://front.kinja.com/will-googles-new-project-make-humans-immortal-1348899998

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24158924

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/wp/2013/09/18/google-to-banish-death-with-new-company-calico/

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

living for any longer than 70 would bug me

I dream of 0s and 1s folding to my every command,

algorithms seeping from the back of my head when I need them.

A lot of people who take care of them selfs can still most activities at 50-70. And this might give more incentive to take care of yourself a little bit more.

And if anything it might be a 10 MAYBE 20 year gain.

A lot of people who take care of them selfs can still most activities at 50-70. And this might give more incentive to take care of yourself a little bit more.

(regardless of if this was directed at me or not) Personally I take care of myself just fine, but my genes are kicking my ass. Not everyone has a good start, my little sister was diagnosed at the age of 8 and was having issues from the age of about 6-7 :(

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

They also have lab grown parts that is made of your own blood so your body won't reject the part when is put into your body.

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

I can see why they're going into designing this, and I wouldn't mind having a slightly longer life, if say for example a kid got sick early in his life. For the already elderly though, I'm not sure.

(regardless of if this was directed at me or not) Personally I take care of myself just fine, but my genes are kicking my ass. Not everyone has a good start, my little sister was diagnosed at the age of 8 and was having issues from the age of about 6-7 :(

Oh no, I didn't mean it as insult or anything it's just I know some older people that are doing very well at the age of 60.

If you take care if your body your body takes care of you.

Personally I would love to live forever because I love to see the progression of technology! There is so much awesome stuff that I will miss when I die!

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

living for any longer than 70 would bug me

agreed, being all wrinkly and stuff... :S

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

agreed, being all wrinkly and stuff... :S

and not being available to move fast as you would like. CANE IS THE WORD !

I dream of 0s and 1s folding to my every command,

algorithms seeping from the back of my head when I need them.

They re probably working on the Matrix...

So they ll be able to download you to their world where you would never age...

just kidding ...

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

Personally I would love to live forever because I love to see the progression of technology! There is so much awesome stuff that I will miss when I die!

But will you miss it when you die? I believe when you die you get to live how ever you can imagine, which includes keeping track of technology. I am not a very religious person but I do believe something happens when you die.

I think the progression of medicine is a very good thing but people in their current state do not need to live past, say, 150 years. Pertaining to my previous paragraph, look at how the last generation or the generation before that uses technology. They still use it and quite a few understand it, but they don't look at it, use it or understand it like we do.

These are my opinions, but right now in this day and age a very long life would almost be destructive to society.

Nopin

Oh no, I didn't mean it as insult or anything it's just I know some older people that are doing very well at the age of 60.

If you take care if your body your body takes care of you.

I know, dont worry :) But I still think that a great application would be giving people a level playing field and ensuring a good quality of life while they are around. As for crazy long lives... not a fan

This should be stopped. Overpopulation is the biggest problem we face, working towards more of it on a large scale should be considered criminal activity.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

This should be stopped. Overpopulation is the biggest problem we face, working towards more of it on a large scale should be considered criminal activity.

So just limited new births? China style, 2 kids max per family? This seems more logical doesn't it?

sysloc

Well if people all live longer and only get an average of 2 kid per lifetime(keep current average), then doubling lifetime will result in halfing birthrate.

(i don t see people getting kids at 30 years old and 90 years old on a average 140 year lifespan instead of getting kids at 30 years on a 70 year lifespan but twice in 140 years.)

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

I think i'd be pretty neat living for half a millennium.

I'm sure they don't really want immortality.

Google trying to become next Aperture laboratories.

picasa_logo.jpg

My first comparasion was with Abstergo industries due to how broad of a spectrum Abstergo branched off too. They have everything from projects ranging from medical to media and world domination just like Google :)

All hail our new Google overloards!

I just want to live long enough for me to be placed in a world where I can make up things with my mind, but with an AI that can tell me what is real and has a connection to the real world.

I just want to live long enough for me to be placed in a world where I can make up things with my mind, but with an AI that can tell me what is real and has a connection to the real world.

spongebob-imagination.jpg

sysloc