Will Google's new project make humans immortal?

Ethnod

So just limited new births? China style, 2 kids max per family? This seems more logical doesn't it?

Because that worked out so well for them... oh wait  :o

http://www.forbes.com/sites/investor/2013/03/28/why-china-is-finally-abandoning-its-one-child-policy/

http://www.economist.com/blogs/analects/2012/06/consequences-one-child-policy

If you are super lazy here is a few bullet points

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_bad_points_of_one_child_policy_in_china

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

We need an immortal Gabe Newell.

So Google is trying to get Gabe Newell immortal so he wont die while producing Half Life 3.

Does that mean that our grand-grand children will have early access?

This should be stopped. Overpopulation is the biggest problem we face, working towards more of it on a large scale should be considered criminal activity.

We have more than enough space on planet earth, and with NASA wanting to get an asteroid lassoed around the moon by 2020 (7 years from now) and with this life-extension thing taking a guessed 20 years, we could take all the resources we need from asteroids that we take from the solar system by the time we live forever.

So your argument is... invalid.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

We have more than enough space on planet earth, and with NASA wanting to get an asteroid lassoed around the moon by 2020 (7 years from now) and with this life-extension thing taking a guessed 20 years, we could take all the resources we need from asteroids that we take from the solar system by the time we live forever.

Have you seen the intro to the first Fallout?

I would be optimistic to see them succeed over many of the challenges we humans have towards aging. Problems like preventing our brains from having too much Cerebral Decay or stopping the human body from generating cancer past certain growth points. I will still cheer on for there discoveries. :) Nothing can be achieved if not by trial and error in my opinion.

"Some men just want to watch the world burn"

We need an immortal Gabe Newell.

We need an immortal Richard Stallman.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

We need an immortal Richard Stallman.

Actually we need an immortal Elon Musk ;)

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Actually we need an immortal Elon Musk ;)

That too :P

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

That is the most naive and ignorant thing I've heard anyone say. Just baffling. None of the things you mentioned will happen on time, large scale asteroid mining is at least 125-200 years away, I mean... just wow. You have some absurd hopes.

AND we do NOT have enough space. Unless you want to live like minks on a fur farm.

Feed Africa, then talk about this shit.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I see no problem in extending your life once it improves your quality of live and the quality of live around the people you live with. In the beginning, if this works for anyone, it would be a bit lonely for those recipients of the extended live but as it becomes more common place and more people do it loneliness won't be a problem however i doubt everyone could afford this.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

That is the most naive and ignorant thing I've heard anyone say. Just baffling. None of the things you mentioned will happen on time, large scale asteroid mining is at least 125-200 years away, I mean... just wow. You have some absurd hopes.

AND we do NOT have enough space. Unless you want to live like minks on a fur farm.

Oh lets be so optomistic and say that we won't be in space able to mine asteroids in 125 years. I know that optomism isn't reality, but when people think that way it won't be reality no matter if it is possible. Here is a link to a small orginazation that hopes to build a ship that can make a roundtrip to mars in 90 days 20 years from next year. www.buildtheenterprise.com . Look back to 2000, there were cellphones that were only used as phones and texting. Now we have phones that are litterally computers. Look at a youtube video from even 2008, the quality was horrible for an average everyday person. Today it is affordable and even phone quality video is way better.

You totally limit the ammount of discovery that can be done in a short period of time. Look at the Manhattan project. The United States developed 2 atomic bombs from scratch in 3 years.

I believe putting dates on science is like trying to put a release date on Half-Life 3.

Nopin

Seems Google is getting into life extension technology... Google just has its fingers in all the pies now at this stage.

So they formed a company called Calico which will be led by Apple chairman Arthur Levinson. Larry Page, Google's co-founder, said "it would focus on health and wellbeing, in particular the challenge of ageing and associated diseases".

So they are basically looking into life extension, seems there has already been a lot of research in this area and some discoveries leading some "Life Extension Scientists" so say that in as little as 20 years we could have life extension technology.

On a personal note, why would you want to be immortal? What I would like is to have a better quality of life while I was here. My Dad is 60 now and is blind in one eye, has Arthritis, Diabities, no strength or any kind of fitness level any more and well the list goes on. I would like to get rid of my own Arthritis tbh (I have early onset Arthritis, had it since I was 20, 35 now) and have a healthier life but life 200-300 years... man, why? Would you not go insane?

Any way, what ya think?

Source:

http://front.kinja.com/will-googles-new-project-make-humans-immortal-1348899998

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24158924

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/wp/2013/09/18/google-to-banish-death-with-new-company-calico/

You might want to be immortal because when you die you disappear from this world.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Actually we do, if we lined all humans up we'd only take up the space of Los Angeles. The problem is resources, and if we all lived forever, can you honestly sit there and tell me we can't figure out asteroid mining with a ton of immortal scientists? Saying it should be stopped because of over populating is the most ignorant thing I've ever heard, and putting a date on it is even worse.

I bet we would feed Africa, but all the dictatorships down there aren't very helpful either, you know.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

this is awesome i would love to live for that long imagine all the new tech u get to see but like The Norwegian Guy said we have overpopulation issues and this isnt going to help. 

I think life extension is not what we need. Life improvement is what we need. Look at most 80 year olds. They're... Old... and they struggle to do things that should be easy (mobility-wise). They also often have issues with memory and are far more susceptible to disease and illness. 90-year-olds are even worse, as makes sense. Now most people who make it to 100 are still healthy because very few people make it that far. All I can say is, there's no point in being able to make us live to, let's say 120, if we're going to be nursed 24/7 and in a hospital bed. And if that's the case, we'll need to start taking these developed drugs or having operations - or whatever they do to extend life - while we're still young.