Anti-static foam/bag behind motherborad in my build

Hello there,

I am building a new PC and i was wondering is it safe to put anti-static foam or bag behind the MOBO to prevent it form shorting in my build?

I have had a PC in the past that had the black foam behind it.

Some people online say that this will prevent heat from getting out. But i wonder if that is true or not. As most components that get hot are on the front of the mobo and not back. More over there is not enough space between the board and the cabinet plate for good airflow, so even if i do not put a foam padding it will get hot due to lack or airflow.

Won't it be safe to have a foam padding between the board and the metal case?

I have read these discussions but not sure about it

http://superuser.com/questions/114624/anti-static-foam-under-a-motherboard

https://www.reddit.com/r/dogemining/comments/1ztqhi/psa_do_not_run_your_motherboard_on_the_antistatic/

4 minutes ago, prantikv said:

-SNIP-

Welcome to the Forums!

Well it wouldn't be necessary as the case has standoff that give it the proper clearance between the motherboard and the metal tray so this wouldn't needt foam or insulating material behind it. Note metalized antistatic bags the grey ones are conductive on the exterior so that would basically short it out if you were to put a board on it and power it on. 

Edited by W-L

1) if you use the correct standoffs there is no chance of your board getting shorted out

2) a foam bad would probably be pierced by the solder points anyway and not help at all

3) an anti static bag is conductive and will short your board

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

NO!

Anti-static bags and whatnots are conductive. Their point is to give the electricity a path along the outside instead of the shortest one straight though the bag and the product. 

I'd be willing to bet that the foam you've seen wasn't anti-static and thus non-conductive. It must have been noise dampening material. It helps reduce the noise that escapes the machine but does very little to insulate electricity. Just have the standoffs in there like they should and don't push on your board to bow it into contact with the back.

the anti-static bags is some sort of farraday cage

and its conductive `-` so probably not the best idea

if your case is he latest ones, it should come with motherboard stand offs

like this

Spoiler

Three_types_of_standoffs.jpg

which will leave a gap between the motherboard and the case, so nothing shorts

as for heat being trapped, you're right that most hot components are in the front

but capacitors and even the traces themselves can get slightly warm during operation too, so its best not to block them for optimal performance

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately