I can't format my HDD

hjalli3
Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,
Just now, hjalli3 said:

This popped up

Download MiniTool Partition Wizard and try to complete the operation using that.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

So I just built my pc and for storage I bought the samsung 850 evo 250gb and used a 1tb seagate HDD that was in my previous computer that stopped working. since the operating system and all of that stuff is still inside the HDD I wanted to format the HDD as soon as I could so I could install games on it. but when I went into disk management, right clicked the D drive (HDD) and pressed format this popped up. I have no clue on what this means or how to fix it so any help would be greatly appriciated.Capture.PNG

Try to format the whole HDD instead of partition

Hello

Just now, TAHIRMIA said:

Try to format the whole HDD instead of partition

But how do I do that?

It might be because it's a system partition. You can try using MiniTool Partition Wizard, which will trigger a reboot if required in order to perform the action.

Just a quick question: Did you boot from the hard drive or the SSD?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

It might be because it's a system partition. You can try using MiniTool Partition Wizard, which will trigger a reboot if required in order to perform the action.

Just a quick question: Did you boot from the hard drive or the SSD?

SSD

1 minute ago, hjalli3 said:

But how do I do that?

Go to File Explorer>This PC and right click the drive>Format>Restore Device Defaults>Start

Hello

3 minutes ago, TAHIRMIA said:

Go to File Explorer>This PC and right click the drive>Format>Restore Device Defaults>Start

This popped upCapture2.PNG

Just now, hjalli3 said:

This popped up

Download MiniTool Partition Wizard and try to complete the operation using that.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

14 minutes ago, hjalli3 said:

1tb seagate HDD that was in my previous computer that stopped working

does the drive actually work?

use ultimate boot cd to format the drive, you can use rufus usb tool to load it onto a flash drive

1 hour ago, hjalli3 said:

-snip-

If you're okay with command prompt (Type the commands without the quotes):

Open up command prompt.

Type "diskpart"

Then "list disk"

Then type "select disk 0" (Double check here though, you want the disk that you want to format)

Then type "list partition" (Find the partition that you're trying to delete...should be partition 1)

Then type "select partition 1" (Or the correct partition number you want to delete)

Then type "delete partition override"

Then you should be able to hop on back over to the normal Disk Management and format from there.

The part that seems off to me though is that your recovery partition is on the D drive rather than the C drive. I know this sucks, but I would recommend installing Windows again...this time unplugging the HDD so everything goes to the SSD.

16 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

If you're okay with command prompt (Type the commands without the quotes):

Open up command prompt.

Type "diskpart"

Then "list disk"

Then type "select disk 0" (Double check here though, you want the disk that you want to format)

Then type "list partition" (Find the partition that you're trying to delete...should be partition 1)

Then type "select partition 1" (Or the correct partition number you want to delete)

Then you should be able to hop on back over to the normal Disk Management and format from there.

The part that seems off to me though is that your recovery partition is on the D drive rather than the C drive. I know this sucks, but I would recommend installing Windows again...this time unplugging the HDD so everything goes to the SSD.

What is the recovery partition? Is it that bad that its on the D drive?

4 minutes ago, hjalli3 said:

What is the recovery partition? Is it that bad that its on the D drive?

It's that small 450 MB bit you see on the D drive. It holds Windows System files. If you delete it or say unplug the hard drive, Windows might have issues. You want all of the Windows partitions to be on the C drive...I don't know why Windows formatted itself like that.

Actually, looking around, it is safe to delete it, I think. I still would just prefer it to be on the C drive with everything else.

18 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

It's that small 450 MB bit you see on the D drive. It holds Windows System files. If you delete it or say unplug the hard drive, Windows might have issues. You want all of the Windows partitions to be on the C drive...I don't know why Windows formatted itself like that.

Actually, looking around, it is safe to delete it, I think. I still would just prefer it to be on the C drive with everything else.

well I just formatted the disk using  MiniTool Partition Wizard and the recovery partition is gone, but nothing is happening so I think it's ok

41 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Open up command prompt.

Type "diskpart"

Then "list disk"

I can't believe I didn't think of this

Hello

24 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

If the recovery partition is on the hard drive, removing that won't do anything because that drive was plugged in after the system was already set up.

1 hour ago, TAHIRMIA said:

I can't believe I didn't think of this

It's kind of the hard core / manual way of doing things...I've actually never heard of the MiniTool Partition Wizard myself. haha.

Just now, scottyseng said:

It's kind of the hard core / manual way of doing things...I've actually never heard of the MiniTool Partition Wizard myself. haha.

I found it a while ago, and ever since, that's the program that I've been using to achieve anything to do with partition management. What I love is that you can make "changes" visually without applying them to the system unless a big Apply button is used. 

Ever since I found that program, I've been so done with the built-in tool on Windows.

6 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

That's the way I normally format HDD/SSD 

Same, I never heard of the wizard myself, Will try it next time I need to.

Hello

8 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I found it a while ago, and ever since, that's the program that I've been using to achieve anything to do with partition management. What I love is that you can make "changes" visually without applying them to the system unless a big Apply button is used. 

Ever since I found that program, I've been so done with the built-in tool on Windows.

haha, that's great to know. I'll download this and keep it in my stash of tech tools.