Possible uses for a HP ProLiant DL360?

Im working at Hammeeting 2016 and the networking guys told me that i could take Home their old hp server that they are trying to sell (if it isnt sold by sunday, i get it for free as an added "bonus") what should i do with the server if i get it?

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

If you don't already have an expandable NAS, you can install Windows Server 2008 or 2012 and run it as a home server that way. The nice thing is, if something breaks, you can get replacement parts, rather than chucking the entire thing out if it breaks, as you would have to do with a prebuilt solution like Western Digital's MyCloud.

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

2 minutes ago, kimsejin5 said:

If you don't already have an expandable NAS, you can install Windows Server 2008 or 2012 and run it as a home server that way. The nice thing is, if something breaks, you can get replacement parts, rather than chucking the entire thing out if it breaks, as you would have to do with a prebuilt solution like Western Digital's MyButt.

Why run windows server instead of linux? 400 dollars is a lot for a home server's os.

I have an OLD machine set up and running with freenas, could the hp run freenas?

Forgot to tell you: it is a HP ProLiant DL360 G4

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why run windows server instead of linux? 400 dollars is a lot for a home server's os.

tru tho. I have it for free (as a student), which is why I'm using it in my home server

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

I have a DL360 G5. Throw XenServer on it and host some VMs

it sounds daunting, but it'll be just fine :) I'd be happy to help every step of the way.

I've used mine to run minecraft servers, worldwide file shares, local SMB shares, and a few other things :) 

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

On 4/7/2016 at 3:19 PM, Strando123 said:

I have an OLD machine set up and running with freenas, could the hp run freenas?

I've had one of the G4 servers and their not even worth turning on unless your just looking for a space heater. They are insanely loud, hot, and extremely underpowered. You could outperform it with an entry level desktop CPU. 

On 4/7/2016 at 3:19 PM, Strando123 said:

Unfortunately its barely worth more than its weight in iron at the scrapyard, not too surprising they are having trouble selling it. Loud as hell, literally like running a vacuum 24/7, and will use about as much power as said vacuum too.

However, its great if you want a computer to just play with for an hour every now and then. Sifting thru the BIOS menus is always kinda fun to learn about the server gear.

+1 to what RobinHood5 said. We throw away G4s all of the time and those proprietary drive trays are a PITA.

-KuJoe