GTX 980 TI vs 980 for 4K HTPC gaming

blnswamy

Hi guys, 

i am contemplating on getting a new graphics card for my PC. 

I have a GTX 970, GTX 980 and a GTX 980 TI in my list. I obviously know that the 980 Ti is the best and the will deliver the best performance. However, i want to know if the 980 will work fine with 4k @ 60Hz. I want to be sure that i am getting the right graphics card and not splurging on the highest end GPU out there. 

My goal is to connect my HTPC to my 55 inch 4k TV and get a steady 60fps framerate on games like battlefield and far cry. 

My current build is  a i7 6700k, gigabyte z170m - d3h motherboard , DDR4 2400 Mhz (2x8)16 GB ram , 240 GB SSD, 3 TB HDD. 

Suggestions please. 

The 980 will cut it at lower settings, but I'd recommend the 980 Ti. However, either way, you won't be hitting 60FPS at Ultra anytime soon. More like 40-45 at high, even with a 980 Ti.

I'd wait for the new Pascal or Polaris GPUs if you have the patience, as they appear to be targeting gaming at higher resolutions. 

If youre going to play @4k with modern demanding aaa titles get as much gpu horsepower as you can get.

Even a 980 ti wont do 4k maxed 60fps even near maxed out in many titles, heck my 295 x2 can barely max out witcher in 1440p 60fps.

Then again, if you dont care about settings much and just want to play at 4k 60fps a r9 390 might get you there (fxaa,ssao disabled, no tesselation, high settings, advanced hair or physics stuff). AMDs offerings might be a bit more relevant to you since they offer more vram and a higher bit memory bus than the competing nvidia models and thus win out in high resolutions.

2 minutes ago, Rolling Potatoe said:

If youre going to play @4k with modern demanding aaa titles get as much gpu horsepower as you can get.

Even a 980 ti wont do 4k maxed 60fps even near maxed out in many titles, heck my 295 x2 can barely max out witcher in 1440p 60fps.

Then again, if you dont care about settings much and just want to play at 4k 60fps a r9 390 might get you there (fxaa,ssao disabled, no tesselation, high settings, advanced hair or physics stuff). AMDs offerings might be a bit more relevant to you since they offer more vram and a higher bit memory bus than the competing nvidia models and thus win out in high resolutions.

i am just looking to play AAA titles with high settings, i dont need ultra high settings ... 

i will do get a second 980ti if i have to .. in the future, to do ultra high settings   .. :o:o:P:P

15 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

The 980 will cut it at lower settings, but I'd recommend the 980 Ti. However, either way, you won't be hitting 60FPS at Ultra anytime soon. More like 40-45 at high, even with a 980 Ti.

I'd wait for the new Pascal or Polaris GPUs if you have the patience, as they appear to be targeting gaming at higher resolutions. 

are you saying the fury x is better at 4k @60 than the 980 ti. 

unless you are ok with playing at medium settings, get a 980ti

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, blnswamy said:

are you saying the fury x is better at 4k @60 than the 980 ti. 

Did you even read my post or watch the video? I suggest you do, seeing as your question will answer itself.

TL;DR (although it really shouldn't be so)- no single GPU can do a constant 60FPS at 4k at ultra on every game. Not yet, anyway, although the Radeon Pro Duo might.

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

Did you even read my post or watch the video? I suggest you do, seeing as your question will answer itself.

TL;DR (although it really shouldn't be so)- no single GPU can do a constant 60FPS at 4k. Not yet, anyway.

my apologies.. :$

2 minutes ago, blnswamy said:

my apologies.. :$

No need. Just keep in mind that current GPUs by themselves simply don't have the horses to deliver the experience you seek without nerfing quality settings, and things will only become harder as the years go by. However, you could consider a dual-GPU configuration, which will be able to deliver a better experience at 4k and will probably be more future-proof.

At the high-end is the only place I'd recommend getting two GPUs rather than one, as in this situation, since a single card simply won't suffice.

Definitely 980 Ti. EVGA, MSI and Gigabyte are among the best brands.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Ti or go home.  I play at 1440p high to ultra and get between 120 and 144fps

44 minutes ago, Equlizer said:

Ti or go home.  I play at 1440p high to ultra and get between 120 and 144fps

that monitor must be more expensive than the graphics card.... :o

2 hours ago, Aereldor said:

As always, it depends on the games you are playing. The Witcher 3 is a particularly demanding title. I did, however, manage better than this benchmark with two 970s by leaving most settings at ultra, leaving hair works on but nerfing things like antialiasing, motion blur, Ambient Occlusion, depth of field...

On the other hand, I would agree with your advice to wait, if only because we may well be a mere month away from a substantial upgrade. We are also looking at a new wave of GPUs supporting DisplayPort 1.3, which will be very useful if you ever find yourself playing games that aren't demanding any more -- like Bioshock Infinite or Tomb Raider 2013, and find yourself maxing those games out at 4K and getting over 100 fps, or are playing GTA V and depending on the scene your framerate can be anything from 60 to 120 fps at 4K. In this scenario G-Sync/Freesync would be a nice thing to have.

5 hours ago, blnswamy said:

that monitor must be more expensive than the graphics card.... :o

Here in canada its about the same price ($950 give or take)

60FPS in 4K will not  happen in AAA maxed out.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO