Help me limit a devices' bandwidth from my router....please..

TL:DR thing at the bottom.

Quick question. So let's say I have a guest ,who overstayed their welcome, and I happened to give it access to my wifi (being so kind). So this guest in particular happens to be downloading an average of 5-10gb a day if I'm lucky. And I just recently downgraded to a 500GB plan, so I'm worried s/he will consume all this before the monthly cycle.

TL:dr: Can I wirelessly limit the bandwidth to a user connected to my wifi (router?) through the web interface for my router? by entering your "gateway IP" or something?

Thanks a lot. This could be interesting for parents if someone knows a method especially if you don't have access to the device.

Edited by redarmysoldier

2 minutes ago, redarmysoldier said:

TL:DR thing at the bottom.

Quick question. So let's say I have a guest ,who overstayed their welcome, and I happened to give it access to my wifi (being so kind). So this guest in particular happens to be downloading an average of 5-10gb a day if I'm lucky. And I just recently downgraded to a 500GB plan, so I'm worried s/he will consume all this before the monthly cycle.

TL:dr: Can I wirelessly limit the bandwidth to a user connected to my wifi (router?) through the web interface for my router? by entering your "gateway IP" or something?

Thanks a lot. This could be interesting for parents if someone knows a method especially if you don't have access to the device.

Just activate the MAC Address thingy.

6 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

I can only seem to limit time :(

7 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

That just allows or denies access, rather than limiting bandwidth. 

@redarmysoldier Does your router have an option for guest networks? If so, set one up, limit the bandwidth (most guest network options have options built in), then get them to connect to that. If not, the easiest way to do it is really to buy a router that does have guest network options. 

If your router can support DD-WRT, then you can also do it that way. You'd need to check compatibility, though.

9 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

@redarmysoldier Does your router have an option for guest networks? If so, set one up, limit the bandwidth (most guest network options have options built in), then get them to connect to that. If not, the easiest way to do it is really to buy a router that does have guest network options. 

If your router can support DD-WRT, then you can also do it that way. You'd need to check compatibility, though.

Thanks a lot!!! Found out how to do it all, my router is compatible (VERY new) and just need to find out how to limit bandwidth. Thanks techies! 

Btw it's a 

F@ST4315U

Router

Just tell them that you have a monthly bandwidth limit, and with their additional usage, you're gonna go over it. Tell them they need to pay the difference, to upgrade your plan, or be restricted as to when you see fit for them to have internet access in your home. (this would require a wifi password change ofc)

There's plenty of places he/she can get free wifi, your house doesn't have to be one of them.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

8 minutes ago, Fulgrim said:

Just tell them that you have a monthly bandwidth limit, and with their additional usage, you're gonna go over it. Tell them they need to pay the difference, to upgrade your plan, or be restricted as to when you see fit for them to have internet access in your home. (this would require a wifi password change ofc)

There's plenty of places he/she can get free wifi, your house doesn't have to be one of them.

I love it. But welp, I'll just limit it, without cutting them off completely. The problem is, s/he is taking up all the (I wanna say... Internet..) that it is very slow for me when s/he's downloading or who knows what to a point that I can't watch videos, so I think slowing it down can put them off from downloading at my "hotspot".

sorry for making it so complicated and non-tech related LOL

13 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Would you know how to limit it?

image.jpeg

Theres nothing in advanced and no user manual.....