How to use tv satelite dish as wifi booster thru aux

Bajantechnician

so i have a spare wifi dish. Im wondering how i can boost my wifi through the aux cable to be able to pick up the signal approx 1/2 mile from my house.

how do i do that?

also, i have a spare router i can use to do that.

Thanks

uh, i dont think tv satellite dishes are designed for the wifi frequency spectrum....

have you considered buying directional antennas for your router?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Wifi wavelengths don't take kindly to high power transmissions. It would most likely cause a microwave effect heating everything it's pointed at. To put it in perspective, microwaves use a wavelength of 0.20, wifi uses 0.25

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

uh, i dont think tv satellite dishes are designed for the wifi frequency spectrum....

have you considered buying directional antennas for your router?

its not for spread, itsdirectional.

specific point i want to reach.

basicly school wifi is crap,  so im wondering if i could make my wifi reach school

8 minutes ago, Seminole said:

Wifi wavelengths don't take kindly to high power transmissions. It would most likely cause a microwave effect heating everything it's pointed at. To put it in perspective, microwaves use a wavelength of 0.20, wifi uses 0.25

any way i can convvert t?

Well if you some how make this work out let me know, I have one of those like 8 foot diameter dishes from way back xD 

On another note, the dish would be very directional. If you need some

also things like this are everywhere, some claim up to 10km at 300mbps with a line of sight though

http://www.staples.com/TP-LINK-TL-WA7210N-24GHz-N150-Outdoor-Wireless-Access-Point/product_IM1TB6412?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:IM1TB6412&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=IM1TB6412&KPID=IM1TB6412&lsft=cid:PS-_-GooglePLAs-_-IM1TB6412,kpid:IM1TB6412,adtype:pla,channel:online&gclid=CjwKEAjwlfO3BRDR4Pj_u-iO2U0SJAD88y1S7DYRocYGWp-Dngy-btbNuji9ZxASO0_hBSFbnbXlDRoCOBvw_wcB

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

6 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

its not for spread, itsdirectional.

specific point i want to reach.

basicly school wifi is crap,  so im wondering if i could make my wifi reach school

any way i can convvert t?

Sadly there's no way you could do this without putting your whole neighborhood in danger. If the school's firewall is a problem, get a VPN. If the issue is just how slow it is, then there are ways to compress your data before it comes to your computer, which gets around your internet issues. But it might be a little hard to find that technology, but you could ask around here. Maybe someone could help.

Just now, Seminole said:

Sadly there's no way you could do this without putting your whole neighborhood in danger. If the school's firewall is a problem, get a VPN. If the issue is just how slow it is, then there are ways to compress your data before it comes to your computer, which gets around your internet issues. But it might be a little hard to find that technology, but you could ask around here. Maybe someone could help.

its speed.

i already have a vpn that works

how do i compress

18 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

its speed.

i already have a vpn that works

how do i compress

Like I said, you should ask around. I really don't know much about it

28 minutes ago, RedWulf said:

Well if you some how make this work out let me know, I have one of those like 8 foot diameter dishes from way back xD 

On another note, the dish would be very directional. If you need some

also things like this are everywhere, some claim up to 10km at 300mbps with a line of sight though

http://www.staples.com/TP-LINK-TL-WA7210N-24GHz-N150-Outdoor-Wireless-Access-Point/product_IM1TB6412?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:IM1TB6412&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=IM1TB6412&KPID=IM1TB6412&lsft=cid:PS-_-GooglePLAs-_-IM1TB6412,kpid:IM1TB6412,adtype:pla,channel:online&gclid=CjwKEAjwlfO3BRDR4Pj_u-iO2U0SJAD88y1S7DYRocYGWp-Dngy-btbNuji9ZxASO0_hBSFbnbXlDRoCOBvw_wcB

yeah, is it possible to do soemthing like that wih the dish/

Just now, Seminole said:

Like I said, you should ask around. I really don't know much about it

I see.

Thanks

also, your profile pic.....

a tall straight black man sucking on a long white, red veined...

wheres my gun

15 hours ago, Seminole said:

Sadly there's no way you could do this without putting your whole neighborhood in danger.

Danger of what....? Taking a signal that is safe for you to stand next to, and piping it higher over a different antenna isn't going to make it more dangerous (well, technically depending on the antenna it will be a tiny bit more so, but its extremely minor). Cellular carries use microwave dishes with 1000 times more power than your AP can put out and its still WAY below the FCC limit of endangering humans. 

16 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

so i have a spare wifi dish. Im wondering how i can boost my wifi through the aux cable to be able to pick up the signal approx 1/2 mile from my house.

The dish isn't the issue, it is the feedhorn that will not work with WiFi. Feedhorns are tuned to frequencies by making them a certain size to "direct" the waves in a certain way, and inputting too different of a frequency means it will just bounce all over the place rather than beaming out.

You may be able to install something like a Ubiquiti Nanostation, but I'm afraid even that probably wont do it when you factor in all the concrete that is likely in the walls of your school.

6 hours ago, Scheer said:

Danger of what....? Taking a signal that is safe for you to stand next to, and piping it higher over a different antenna isn't going to make it more dangerous (well, technically depending on the antenna it will be a tiny bit more so, but its extremely minor). Cellular carries use microwave dishes with 1000 times more power than your AP can put out and its still WAY below the FCC limit of endangering humans. 

The dish isn't the issue, it is the feedhorn that will not work with WiFi. Feedhorns are tuned to frequencies by making them a certain size to "direct" the waves in a certain way, and inputting too different of a frequency means it will just bounce all over the place rather than beaming out.

You may be able to install something like a Ubiquiti Nanostation, but I'm afraid even that probably wont do it when you factor in all the concrete that is likely in the walls of your school.

Study the physics of microwaves. Old microwaves had unregulated wavelengths of 0.12 to 0.30. Since the introduction of wifi (0.25) and cell towers (0.30) microwaves must be between 0.12-0.20 in most countries. They emit these wavelengths very strongly.

Wifi transmits it's wavelength on a smaller scale, since 0.25 could burn you in a large scale apparatus.

Cell towers have more leeway since they use a wavelength of 0.30, which it would really be hard to use cell towers to burn things, so no one worries about that.

"The shorter wavelength means a higher energy and so more damaging to human tissue."

http://www.schoolphysics.co.uk/age14-16/Wave%20properties/text/Mobile_phones/index.html

Do you get it now?

10 hours ago, Scheer said:

I see.

what if i make on of those quad bi attenas or something?

2 hours ago, Seminole said:

Study the physics of microwaves. Old microwaves had unregulated wavelengths of 0.12 to 0.30. Since the introduction of wifi (0.25) and cell towers (0.30) microwaves must be between 0.12-0.20 in most countries. They emit these wavelengths very strongly.

Wifi transmits it's wavelength on a smaller scale, since 0.25 could burn you in a large scale apparatus.

Cell towers have more leeway since they use a wavelength of 0.30, which it would really be hard to use cell towers to burn things, so no one worries about that.

"The shorter wavelength means a higher energy and so more damaging to human tissue."

http://www.schoolphysics.co.uk/age14-16/Wave%20properties/text/Mobile_phones/index.html

Do you get it now?

so, possible, but not safe?

1 minute ago, Bajantechnician said:

so, possible, but not safe?

Yes.

21 hours ago, Seminole said:

Do you get it now?

I had to take a course once a year from a expert on RF Safety that was mandated by my job, and judge all of my knowledge on that and my work experience. I installed 2.4ghz and 5ghz Adtran microwave hops for about 6 years (among lots of other microwave equipment), and feel extremely confident in saying that there is no way an antenna hooked up to any router you can buy will be able to hurt you...

According to the trainer, the only way microwave would be able to do damage would be taking something like a 60ghz Aviat radio and looking directly into the waveguide. This is due to the size of an eyeball making a good antenna for 60ghz waves, but according to him even that would take 10-15 minutes to start cooking the eye since your body would regulate the temperature about at fast as it would be heating up. Essentially RF (non-ionizing at least) is like a space heater, when you get hot just move away from it for a few minute and you are good to go.

I've never met anyone in the telecom industry who was concerned about RF unless it was Radio or TV. AM is dangerous due to the detuning ring, FM due to wavelength size/power amount, and TV due to the stupid amount of power they pump to the antennas.

Just my two cents... take it or leave it.

34 minutes ago, Scheer said:

I had to take a course once a year from a expert on RF Safety that was mandated by my job, and judge all of my knowledge on that and my work experience. I installed 2.4ghz and 5ghz Adtran microwave hops for about 6 years (among lots of other microwave equipment), and feel extremely confident in saying that there is no way an antenna hooked up to any router you can buy will be able to hurt you...

According to the trainer, the only way microwave would be able to do damage would be taking something like a 60ghz Aviat radio and looking directly into the waveguide. This is due to the size of an eyeball making a good antenna for 60ghz waves, but according to him even that would take 10-15 minutes to start cooking the eye since your body would regulate the temperature about at fast as it would be heating up. Essentially RF (non-ionizing at least) is like a space heater, when you get hot just move away from it for a few minute and you are good to go.

I've never met anyone in the telecom industry who was concerned about RF unless it was Radio or TV. AM is dangerous due to the detuning ring, FM due to wavelength size/power amount, and TV due to the stupid amount of power they pump to the antennas.

Thanks for that.

so it is possible then?

to beam a wifi signal to a pinpoint area approx 1//2 mile from the router, with a satelite dish?

2 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

Thanks for that.

so it is possible then?

to beam a wifi signal to a pinpoint area approx 1//2 mile from the router, with a satelite dish?

Back in the day I heard about people doing this with wireless G. They were taking their 2.4Ghz routers and taking the signal to like 800 or 900 Mhz. Then they used the Dish to direct the signal to another dish a fair distance away, where the dish would capture the signal and the signal was converted back to 2.4Ghz. Not sure on if this actually happen. Also keep in mind there could be legal issues, as wireless spectrum is government controlled. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Back in the day I heard about people doing this with wireless G. They were taking their 2.4Ghz routers and taking the signal to like 800 or 900 Mhz. Then they used the Dish to direct the signal to another dish a fair distance away, where the dish would capture the signal and the signal was converted back to 2.4Ghz. Not sure on if this actually happen. Also keep in mind there could be legal issues, as wireless spectrum is government controlled. 

is there any way to do this with only one dish?? only send, no reecieve dish.

Thans

How is the signal gonna get back to origin? WiFi is a 2 way street my friend. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

23 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

How is the signal gonna get back to origin? WiFi is a 2 way street my friend. 

ahh.

that part.... I dont know....

because if i do carry a dish on my end, then itll ahve to be small enough to fix in a backpack, or locker

5 hours ago, Scheer said:

There is a massive difference in frequency (Hz or power) and wavelength (m or distance). When I'm talking about microwave wavelength I'm talking about 0.12-0.25m that is deemed harmful to humans. Wifi is regulated to say in the ~0.25 wavelength at a low frequency. Microwave ovens are just below that wavelength but at a higher frequency.

To put this in perspective yet again, radio wavelengths which you are talking about are around 80-100m. That's well over 100x the wavelength of wifi, cell towers, and microwave ovens. That makes radio wavelengths completely harmless and incomparable to anything in this thread. And ionization doesn't occur until you go well below 0.1m and start measuring in nanometers, so that's completely irrelevant.

Also, think of it from an economical point of view. Why would cellphone companies spend billions of dollars a year making cell towers capable of extremely complicated data transmissions if they could just transmit wifi? Because after you amplify the power/frequency of wifi so much it makes it able to vibrate light atoms and turn it's energy into heat.

Really just don't talk about things you don't know about. There's no point, I can tell you're not making any sense.

5 hours ago, Seminole said:

There is a massive difference in frequency (Hz or power) and wavelength (m or distance). When I'm talking about microwave wavelength I'm talking about 0.12-0.25m that is deemed harmful to humans. Wifi is regulated to say in the ~0.25 wavelength at a low frequency. Microwave ovens are just below that wavelength but at a higher frequency.

To put this in perspective yet again, radio wavelengths which you are talking about are around 80-100m. That's well over 100x the wavelength of wifi, cell towers, and microwave ovens. That makes radio wavelengths completely harmless and incomparable to anything in this thread. And ionization doesn't occur until you go well below 0.1m and start measuring in nanometers, so that's completely irrelevant.

Also, think of it from an economical point of view. Why would cellphone companies spend billions of dollars a year making cell towers capable of extremely complicated data transmissions if they could just transmit wifi? Because after you amplify the power/frequency of wifi so much it makes it able to vibrate light atoms and turn it's energy into heat.

Really just don't talk about things you don't know about. There's no point, I can tell you're not making any sense.

Sorry, I really don't mean to sound like an ass here... One of us is confused here, and if it is me I'll more than gladly admit it, I'm just having a hard time understanding what you mean.

Frequency has nothing to do with power, you may be thinking of gain/dBm/dBi. Frequency, measured in hertz (Hz) is counts per second, for radio waves that means how many times the wave goes up and down.

Frequency and wavelength are inversely proportional to each other, if one goes up the other goes down. The equation is frequency * wavelength = Speed of light, this is known and non-negotiable. 2.4ghz microwave PTP radios that cell carriers use on a cell tower are the exact same wavelength size as 2.4ghz Wifi your home router is using, the only difference is the protocol/modulation they are using.

You say that .12-.25m is deemed harmful to humans, but:

GSM and CDMA: .16m to .35m               

AWS (what most carriers are using for LTE-Advanced): .14m to .17m

WIFI: .125m

GPS: .18m

WiFi is legally restrained to a maximum of 1 watt output in the US (in a roundabout way, as the law also factors in antenna gain), GSM/CDMA/AWS are in the neighborhood of 200-500 watts per line. They are allowed this because it is licensed, monitored, and can be held responsible.

FM, however, IS deemed harmful to humans as the wavelength of 87.5 is the size of an infant and 108 the size of a basketball player, meaning essentially humans are the perfect antennas for FM radio. Notice how standing next to a static-y radio will clear it up?

Cellular carriers don't use WiFi because its, relatively speaking, a lightly regulated standard that is on an unlicensed band open to anyone, extremely crowded, and simply not complex enough for what is needed. You know how the all the cool server gear eventually trickles down to the mainstream consumers? Its the same way with the cellular technology trickling down to WiFi. Back when Wireless-N was released with bleeding edge 150mbps over 64-QAM we were installing Harris radios doing 512-QAM modulation. MIMO is all the rage right now, and it was standard practice in the cell industry when I started, likely long before that as well.

Yes, RF does heat up your body, but your body's circulation system easily dissipates 100 watts of RF a few feet from you. Now, if you point the source of that 100w into your eyeball it may actually cause some damage, which is the reason RF Safety is mandated, basically to tell you not to stick waveguide into your eyeball.

9 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

Thanks for that.

so it is possible then?

It is highly unlikely, you can always give it a shot, I just wouldn't hold my breath over it.

9 hours ago, Scheer said:

Sorry, I really don't mean to sound like an ass here... One of us is confused here, and if it is me I'll more than gladly admit it, I'm just having a hard time understanding what you mean.

Frequency has nothing to do with power, you may be thinking of gain/dBm/dBi. Frequency, measured in hertz (Hz) is counts per second, for radio waves that means how many times the wave goes up and down.

Frequency and wavelength are inversely proportional to each other, if one goes up the other goes down. The equation is frequency * wavelength = Speed of light, this is known and non-negotiable. 2.4ghz microwave PTP radios that cell carriers use on a cell tower are the exact same wavelength size as 2.4ghz Wifi your home router is using, the only difference is the protocol/modulation they are using.

You say that .12-.25m is deemed harmful to humans, but:

GSM and CDMA: .16m to .35m               

AWS (what most carriers are using for LTE-Advanced): .14m to .17m

WIFI: .125m

GPS: .18m

WiFi is legally restrained to a maximum of 1 watt output in the US (in a roundabout way, as the law also factors in antenna gain), GSM/CDMA/AWS are in the neighborhood of 200-500 watts per line. They are allowed this because it is licensed, monitored, and can be held responsible.

FM, however, IS deemed harmful to humans as the wavelength of 87.5 is the size of an infant and 108 the size of a basketball player, meaning essentially humans are the perfect antennas for FM radio. Notice how standing next to a static-y radio will clear it up?

Cellular carriers don't use WiFi because its, relatively speaking, a lightly regulated standard that is on an unlicensed band open to anyone, extremely crowded, and simply not complex enough for what is needed. You know how the all the cool server gear eventually trickles down to the mainstream consumers? Its the same way with the cellular technology trickling down to WiFi. Back when Wireless-N was released with bleeding edge 150mbps over 64-QAM we were installing Harris radios doing 512-QAM modulation. MIMO is all the rage right now, and it was standard practice in the cell industry when I started, likely long before that as well.

Yes, RF does heat up your body, but your body's circulation system easily dissipates 100 watts of RF a few feet from you. Now, if you point the source of that 100w into your eyeball it may actually cause some damage, which is the reason RF Safety is mandated, basically to tell you not to stick waveguide into your eyeball.

It is highly unlikely, you can always give it a shot, I just wouldn't hold my breath over it.

Please tell me what basketball player is 107 meters tall.

11 hours ago, Seminole said:

Please tell me what basketball player is 107 meters tall.

Where did you get 107 from?

I left out the unit on 108 Mhz, as it seemed self explanatory to me. 108Mhz, the top of the FM band, has a wavelength of 2.77m. I just used basketball player as an analogy since its close(ish).

I'm a little more surprised that you didn't catch the fact that I was WAY off when I was talking about that analogy. I said from infant to basketball player, for wavelengths ranging around 3 meters.